Mountain Review - Best Game Everest?

madigan

Oct 27, 2010
Well, that review was more entertaining than anything I could get out of Mountain. Any place where I can send you $0.99 for the 2 minutes, 37 seconds of enjoyment I got out of reading your words?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
A fitting review. A shame this has neither hill dwarves nor Cylons.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Your review sold me on the game. I think I'll buy it and then just fiddle with it while my friend slowly reads the review over again out loud.

thundra

Aug 19, 2014
I bought a game. Reminds me of a time when, I was on the field chasing butterflies.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
It's Proteus, but less interactive and pretty. Not sure what the big deal is. But, there's probably something I'm missing.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
The problem I have with Mountain is that once you've had the admittedly very personal experience of seeing your own little floating peak and bank of storm clouds come into being, and once you've squeezed every ounce of meaning or beauty from the proceedings, you're basically done.

The first time I opened up Mountain, I actually bothered to send a Facebook snapshot. The second time, I just rotated the mountain a few times, zoomed out and zoomed in again. By the third time, I'd opened the app accidentally.

Now, at my fourth use of the app, all I'm doing is bringing it up to someone who's curious and going "Well, yeah. It's a mountain. Floating in space. It's kinda zen, I guess."

And that's it. There's a bit of that old David Cage problem in there, in the sense that Mountain isn't really capable of wresting anything out of you after a few concurrent uses. At least it's subtle enough to avoid beating me over the head with a dead horse, all the while going "I'M TORTURING ELLEN PAGE IN A MOCAP SUIT FOR YOUR BENEFIT, YOU THANKLESS SWINE! FEEL FOR ME! EMOTE! CONNECT WITH FAKE ELLEN PAGE AND HER GHOST BUDDY! DO IT NOW!"

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
This is the most profoundly moving thing I've ever read. And said of the most profoundly moving game ever to exist.

Truly, there can be no better. This, this Mountain? This is the peak of gaming. From here, it is all downhill.

And for that, I am sad.

[small][sub]I'm sorry.[/sub][/small]

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
the one from Showgirls was addicted to caffeine pills?
also was Kelly hot? Is she The Mountain. Will this mountain gouge my eyes and make my head explode?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
It's a good screensaver.

That's about it. My qualms with the praise are that its a non-gamer's idea of an artsy game. I.e. a 3D-rendered painting that sometimes changes at the right conditions.

It's to games what The Artist was to movies. Nothing but fluff, and an outside, shallow perspective into games as art, satisfying the non-gamer/film buff masses in its inoffensiveness.

Spec Ops The Line is a work of art. Journey is a work of art. This 3D program is the Flappy Bird equivalent.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Eh, I bought it for $1 and it's kind of fun to just leave on for awhile.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
This review spoke to me in the same way that a priest might speak to a young boy on the Internet.

10/10 great review would recommend to friends coworkers and people I want to scare.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Did i just k-hole completely sober there? Gotta take things a bit slower now. But first...wine!
Excellent journey of thought there. I must return to my chambers to dwell on this.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
It's a good screensaver.

That's about it. My qualms with the praise are that its a non-gamer's idea of an artsy game. I.e. a 3D-rendered painting that sometimes changes at the right conditions.

It's to games what The Artist was to movies. Nothing but fluff, and an outside, shallow perspective into games as art, satisfying the non-gamer/film buff masses in its inoffensiveness.

Spec Ops The Line is a work of art. Journey is a work of art. This 3D program is the Flappy Bird equivalent.
THANK YOU! Now that I know what this actually is, the review and all of these comments finally make sense. Pure fluff.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Even this got a higher review score than Colonial Marines, SEGA. Think about that for a lifetime.

Poerts

Nov 18, 2009
Oh Christ, I've heard waaaay too many of Jim's podcasts. My first thought upon reading that very first paragraph was "Whaaaat! Jim's dad wouldn't do that, he was some sort of absentee dickhead in Germany!" because I have a weirdly detailed knowledge of his childhood now, apparently. In my defense, hearing Jim sexually harass a social worker while he tries to talk about video games really helps me focus/ignore creepy dudes on the bus.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
This review touched me... if only I could somehow distill its essence into a viscous miasma and deliver it, as if an enema, to the depths of my soul then I too might discover the true meaning of life and burst forth from my nethers mountains of meaning equal to that of the digital paragon described by Jim!