Mouse over Magic the Gathering card displays on The Escapist

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Right, I summon my champion!

[mtg_card=Akroma, Angel of Wrath]

Go forth, and wipe out Phage!

EDIT: Yes, I'm aware that Akroma, Phage and Zagorka were killed by the Soul Reaper, thus forming [mtg_card=Karona, False God]. No need to school me on that.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Limecake said:
That's a pretty sweet feature

[mtg_card=Black lotus]

although to be honest I don't really know what I would use it for. maybe some sort of meta MTG jokes.

I'm such a hipster
If I owned a Black Lotus, I'd put it in a deck with Farmstead just to see people's reactions.

[mtg_card=Farmstead]

Turn 1: Plains, [mtg_card=Black Lotus], [mtg_card=Mox Pearl], [mtg_card=Farmstead]
Turn 2: Upkeep: Tap plains and Mox Pearl to gain one life motherf$^@%!

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Qitz said:
Queue the people having Escapist MTG matches.
TO FORUM GAMES!
Seriously, this has to be a thread. As long as people find a way to balance it out...

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Nasrin said:
Did you know? You can now use [ mtg_card = CARDNAME ] in your Escapist posts to create mouse over Magic card displays. Minus the spaces, of course.
a) You should add a noparse tag, so you don't have to say "Minus the spaces" BS.

b) The feature is Fail due to not showing to the Oracle text of the card.
Sure, it doesn't matter much to the newest block, as they generally don't get need an errata, but almost all of the older cards that have been linked in this thread have.
babinro said:
Turn 2: Plains, tap 2 mana to gain one life motherf$^@%!
a) As a former DCI Judge, your post is akin to screeching nails on a black board.

b) You're playing the Land in your Main Phase, long after the Upkeep step had ended and the granted triggered ability had resolved. You do not gain any life this turn. Oh yes, maternal procreator.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Let's see here... the first card I remember getting... [mtg_card=Order of the Ebon Hand]

HA! It works! That's awesome!

Here, have the last card I remember before I stopped playing and sold my 5.000+ cards. [mtg_card=Death Watch]

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
madwarper said:
babinro said:
Turn 2: Plains, tap 2 mana to gain one life motherf$^@%!
a) As a former DCI Judge, your post is akin to screeching nails on a black board.

b) You're playing the Land in your Main Phase, long after the Upkeep step had ended and the granted triggered ability had resolved. You do not gain any life this turn. Oh yes, maternal procreator.
Ack! You don't even need to be an experienced magic player to catch that one!
I simply misread the greatness that was Farmstead. I've corrected my first post to appease the MTG fanbase. Now the use of Farmstead on turn two requires 2 of the power nine, as it should.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Macgyvercas said:

EDIT: Yes, I'm aware that Akroma, Phage and Zagorka were killed by the Soul Reaper, thus forming [mtg_card=Karona, Flase God]. No need to school me on that.
Umm, you misspelled [mtg_card=Karona, False God]

I'm not being a grammar nazi, I'm just saying that because the card popup doesn't work right if it's misspelled.

Anyways... I have nothing of value to add, except my favorite card(s) ever:

[mtg_card=Sword of Kaldra]
[mtg_card=Shield of Kaldra]
[mtg_card=Helm of Kaldra]

You gotta love Kaldra, bitches.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Macgyvercas said:

EDIT: Yes, I'm aware that Akroma, Phage and Zagorka were killed by the Soul Reaper, thus forming [mtg_card=Karona, Flase God]. No need to school me on that.
Umm, you misspelled [mtg_card=Karona, False God]

I'm not being a grammar nazi, I'm just saying that because the card popup doesn't work right if it's misspelled.

Anyways... I have nothing of value to add, except my favorite card(s) ever:

[mtg_card=Sword of Kaldra]
[mtg_card=Shield of Kaldra]
[mtg_card=Helm of Kaldra]

You gotta love Kaldra, bitches.
Well, played. Let me correct that.

Oh, and as for your Kaldra...

[mtg_card=Oblivion Ring]

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Oh, I know that Kaldra is far from invincible. But there is nothing, NOTHING more satisfying than seeing the look on my opponent's face when he hits the field, and they've got nothing to counter it.

Hell, I've even got a fun story regarding one of the first times I managed to play him.

I had just finished the Kaldra deck, and near the tail end of the Kamigawa block (the block that re-wrote the rules about how legends work. This is important). Anyways, I managed to summon Kaldra, but my opponent had a fairly massive creature advantage. If I attacked with Kaldra, I'd be undefended, and screwed. But just then, during my turn, I got a crazy, crazy idea. So, I attacked, and dealt 9 damage. During his turn, my opponent attacked with his 3 creatures, for what he THOUGHT was the win. But then, I activated the [mtg_card=Helm of Kaldra] ability. Because of the new legend rule, the two legendary Kaldra tokens destroyed each other, and I was free to activate the ability AGAIN, giving me an untapped Kaldra token to block with.

I won next turn. The win itself wasn't NEARLY so satisfying as the look on my opponent's face when I did that.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Macgyvercas said:
Oh, I know that Kaldra is far from invincible. But there is nothing, NOTHING more satisfying than seeing the look on my opponent's face when he hits the field, and they've got nothing to counter it.

Hell, I've even got a fun story regarding one of the first times I managed to play him.

I had just finished the Kaldra deck, and near the tail end of the Kamigawa block (the block that re-wrote the rules about how legends work. This is important). Anyways, I managed to summon Kaldra, but my opponent had a fairly massive creature advantage. If I attacked with Kaldra, I'd be undefended, and screwed. But just then, during my turn, I got a crazy, crazy idea. So, I attacked, and dealt 9 damage. During his turn, my opponent attacked with his 3 creatures, for what he THOUGHT was the win. But then, I activated the [mtg_card=Helm of Kaldra] ability. Because of the new legend rule, the two legendary Kaldra tokens destroyed each other, and I was free to activate the ability AGAIN, giving me an untapped Kaldra token to block with.

I won next turn. The win itself wasn't NEARLY so satisfying as the look on my opponent's face when I did that.
*Removes hat and slow claps*

Gotta admit, that was some pretty impressive playing there. Sure beats the time I topdecked Akroma for the win. I'll tell that story if you want to hear it.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Just to see how it works...

[mtg_card=Liliana of the Veil]

Somehow, I've only gotten her ultimate off once... against my friend who only had lands and one trivial creature. So tragic.

And one of my favorite cards, just for fun:

[mtg_card=Priests of Norn]

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Das Boot said:
I am using whatever the latest internet explorer is.
Well there's your problem...

OT: It's pretty cool I guess. I don't play Magic all that often, but when I do, I tend to have some sort of fun. :p

captcha: kill time

I'm worried.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Leemaster777 said:
Macgyvercas said:

Gotta admit, that was some pretty impressive playing there. Sure beats the time I topdecked Akroma for the win. I'll tell that story if you want to hear it.
Lay it on me, topdeck stories are always fun.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Macgyvercas said:
Leemaster777 said:
Macgyvercas said:

Lay it on me, topdeck stories are always fun.
I had 13 life, my opponent had 2. He was playing what I would loosely call suicide black, and I had monowhite angels. On his side of the field was a rather annoying enchantment that allowed him to sacrifice a creature to destroy one of mine. So, he clears my side of the field and attacks, knocking me to 3 life points. I'm fully expecting to lose at this point, since I was running a 90 card deck at the time (shut up, it worked). Anyway, he starts smiling because he knows he has me dead to rights, so instead of conceeding (I never conceed. I force my opponents to kill me), I draw my last card: Akroma, Angel of Wrath. I immediately play the card and attack, wiping out his remaining life points and winning me the game. His response: "That was horseshit!"

To this day, all I have to do to piss him off is say "Last Minute Akroma".

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Ha, classic. I love topdeck moments like that, it makes me think of the super-improbable victories in Yugioh, when Yugi ALWAYS seems to draw exactly the right card to win, no matter what the situation.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Macgyvercas said:
Ha, classic. I love topdeck moments like that, it makes me think of the super-improbable victories in Yugioh, when Yugi ALWAYS seems to draw exactly the right card to win, no matter what the situation.
That was the match that made Akroma my favorite card ever. Damn awesome game, that was.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Does anyone know if this card is restricted still, or is it outright banned now?
Have you considered actually following the link you generated and checking the legality?
In any case, you haven't specified a format... That being said, standard, Extended, and Modern exempt, (as FoF is too old for those formats) it is legal as a 4 of. Nowadays, a spell that costs 4 in an eternal format and only draws a few cards, while giving your opponent a say in which cards you draw, is terrible. I don't believe anything in vintage or legacy wants that card, and it's pretty bad in Commander since you can only use it once. (it does however have some value because of multiplayer politics)

OT: My favorite card is [mtg_card=Pox]. It gets better the better you are at the game, as well as the worse your opponent is. It's gone the way of the dodo for being too slow and color intensive, but I still love it. [mtg_card=Smallpox] does a satisfactory job as well.
BTW, are you guys going to add a feature to select certain printings for display? I dislike the new smallpox art.

Das Boot said:
Im getting nothing. Mabey it just does not work with the most common internet browser out there. That is what I am going with since it always works on every other single site I visit that has it.
Internet explorer is trash, and is far away from being the most common browser. In fact [a href=http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp]it hasn't been the most popular browser since 2008[/a]. If you convert to Chrome or Firefox (both of which are free), you will notice an increase in browsing speed, AND keys won't stick when you're playing flash games.