Move Outsells Kinect 2-to-1 in Japan

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Move Outsells Kinect 2-to-1 in Japan

Sony can take heart in the fact that its motion-sensing Move is outselling rival Microsoft's Kinect somewhere.

While Microsoft proudly crowed that its fastest-selling consumer electronics device in history [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/kinect]," Sony remained curiously quiet about the fate of its Move.

Not to make a value judgment either way - everyone is free to find Move better than Kinect or vice versa - it doesn't take Isaac Newton to guess that Sony's quietude regarding the Move is indicative of it taking a beating worse than Sylvester Stallone in the first act of a Rocky movie.

According to a Media Create report [http://geimin.net/index.php], though, there is one bright spot for Sony and the PlayStation Move: Analysts estimate that Move sold 170,000 units throughout 2010 in Japan, compared to a mere 90,000 Kinect cameras sold in the same period.

Japan's antipathy for the Xbox 360 has been well-chronicled by this point - the Kinect didn't even sell as many copies as Nintendo's red Wii celebrating Mario's 25th anniversary (97,000 units, if you were wondering).

However, both the Kinect and the Move were soundly drubbed by a peripheral you probably haven't heard of: Torne, Sony's little gadget that turns your PS3 into a DVR to record TV shows for later viewing. Including bundle sales, Torne sold a whopping 784,000 units in Japan during 2010, though to be fair it did have a several-month head start thanks to its March 2010 release.

Torne is, as previously mentioned, a Sony product. So even if Move is flagging, Sony can at least take heart in the news that its other gizmos are still going strong.

(Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/11/peripheral_sales/])

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Not very surprising, the 360 is mostly for "questionable" games and games planned for export over there.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
Not a big surprise, the playstation is bigger in Japan than the xbox. Would have been more surprising had it been the other way around.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
Not really surprising, xbox 360 sales in Japan are nowhere near the amount of PS3s sold.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Such a "surprise", this be.

Japanese product sells better in Japan than Western one? Thank you for saving the day, Captain Obvious!

Hawker101

Jul 6, 2010
theriddlen said:
Such a "surprise", this be.

Japanese product sells better in Japan than Western one? Thank you for saving the day, Captain Obvious!
The same thought I had. Japan is, I hate to say it, a country of loyalists. If it's a Japanese product then they'll buy it, no matter how much worse it is than a comparable western product.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Sony beats Microsoft in Japan.

In other news today, Japan likes Manga, England is sort of rainy most of the time, Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father and dying is the leading cause of death in the world. More on this as it develops.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Considering that Xbox has like 5% of the market there, that's actually kind of impressive.

Michael Flick said:
kinect, move who gives a shit, I can't wait until this fad goes away.
Unfortunately I'm fairly certain this "fad" is going to stay with us in one form or another. It's not like the wii's implementation of motion controls proved to be an unsuccessful adaptation. It has thrived an multiplied. If you want to invoke the laws of Darwinian evolution or market economics it looks like it's gonna be around a while.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Well since it takes 2 move controllers to equal a half Kinect unit means the Kinect still has the Move beat.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, not really surprised.

Also, lucky bastards with their torne. I bet being able to watch TV with a sweet bluetooth remote that works even if it's not pointed directly at the box is awesome *glares at cable box with IR remote*.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Wow, a Japanese product outsold a US one in Japan. Call a doctor, I am FREAKIN' OUT! /sarcasm