Movie Bob gets called out by Chris Roberts on PC gaming

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Charcharo said:
Winnosh said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
Winnosh said:
Can you explain to me what was so head slapping worthy about tablet and laptop gaming?
The implication that we didn't know that laptops were the future of PC gaming.
Seeing a lot of the reactions to his statement apparently a lot of people don't.

Here's another thing Game Sales. Look at game releases for any game that is n ot a PC exclusive. even games that have a huge PC following like the Elderscrolls games. Compare the PC sales to those of the Console ones and they sell a fraction of what they sell on the consoles. Usually less than half of the sales of a single console version. and less than a fourth when compared to multiplatform releases.
Overral SKyrim probably sold more on PC than on either Xbox or PS3. Unfortunately, we cant be certaing because we do not have acces to digital sale statisitics. Also, some games are on both Steam and Origin too, which complicates things further. Lets also remember how often sales will bump up the total number even more.
All I can be TRULY certain of, is that currently 1.2 million people are playing World of Tanks (this includes RU server), which is more than what ANY console AAA multiplayer game has ever had.
Yes but you don't NEED a PC to play World of tanks or LoL or even Starcraft 2.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Charcharo said:
Winnosh said:
Charcharo said:
Winnosh said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
Winnosh said:
Can you explain to me what was so head slapping worthy about tablet and laptop gaming?
Seeing a lot of the reactions to his statement apparently a lot of people don't.

Here's another thing Game Sales. Look at game releases for any game that is n ot a PC exclusive. even games that have a huge PC following like the Elderscrolls games. Compare the PC sales to those of the Console ones and they sell a fraction of what they sell on the consoles. Usually less than half of the sales of a single console version. and less than a fourth when compared to multiplatform releases.
Overral SKyrim probably sold more on PC than on either Xbox or PS3. Unfortunately, we cant be certaing because we do not have acces to digital sale statisitics. Also, some games are on both Steam and Origin too, which complicates things further. Lets also remember how often sales will bump up the total number even more.
All I can be TRULY certain of, is that currently 1.2 million people are playing World of Tanks (this includes RU server), which is more than what ANY console AAA multiplayer game has ever had.
Hmm.. food for thought, but I guess you really do not technically need a PC for Lol and WoT. Now I am not certain about the tech here, though I guess good server computers can handle consoles just as well as they do PCs. However updates would be a pain in the ass and totally kill the RAM of the consoles hmm... Still I see no reason why not to just allow PC gamers, 720, WiiU and PS4 gamers play those 2 games together (LoL and WoT do not really NEED a Keyboard and Mouse that much, just having the ability to put one on your console would even it out I think). However Starcraft simply WILL not work with a controler. At least now without making AI even for the Single Player worse.
HOWEVER this kinda goes in another direction. In todays world, you DO NOT NEED a console. However, you NEED a PC. So, why buy a shit PC and a console when you can invest more in your PC and do just fine? You need only a 350-430 doller PC for most games at high-highest settings. Maybe not always highest and not on multi-monitor set ups but still, at resolutions higher than 720p.
Ok I think we have a miscommunication. Here's the thing, we don't need PC's "OR" Consoles. Or at least we are fast approaching the state of that. As we move farther on both are slowly becoming obsolete. That's the reason consoles are trying to cram more and more things like netflix, skype and other such things into them.

The point of the video as I understood it was that things like Tablets, Cloud computing, and other such things are replacing both of them.

You can play LoL just fine on a tablet. And I know plenty of people who play WoT and Starcraft 2 on their Laptops. That's how I got into starcraft. And from what I hear Blizzard is looking into Andriod functionality for SC2

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Winnosh said:
Charcharo said:
Winnosh said:
Charcharo said:
Winnosh said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
Winnosh said:

Hmm.. food for thought, but I guess you really do not technically need a PC for Lol and WoT. Now I am not certain about the tech here, though I guess good server computers can handle consoles just as well as they do PCs. However updates would be a pain in the ass and totally kill the RAM of the consoles hmm... Still I see no reason why not to just allow PC gamers, 720, WiiU and PS4 gamers play those 2 games together (LoL and WoT do not really NEED a Keyboard and Mouse that much, just having the ability to put one on your console would even it out I think). However Starcraft simply WILL not work with a controler. At least now without making AI even for the Single Player worse.
HOWEVER this kinda goes in another direction. In todays world, you DO NOT NEED a console. However, you NEED a PC. So, why buy a shit PC and a console when you can invest more in your PC and do just fine? You need only a 350-430 doller PC for most games at high-highest settings. Maybe not always highest and not on multi-monitor set ups but still, at resolutions higher than 720p.
Ok I think we have a miscommunication. Here's the thing, we don't need PC's "OR" Consoles. Or at least we are fast approaching the state of that. As we move farther on both are slowly becoming obsolete. That's the reason consoles are trying to cram more and more things like netflix, skype and other such things into them.

The point of the video as I understood it was that things like Tablets, Cloud computing, and other such things are replacing both of them.

You can play LoL just fine on a tablet. And I know plenty of people who play WoT and Starcraft 2 on their Laptops. That's how I got into starcraft. And from what I hear Blizzard is looking into Andriod functionality for SC2
"Looking into" and "Not Needing" are two very different things, and while tablets can be considered a separate family of devices by way of a different input method, Laptops are more portable PCs than another device branch.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'm sorry I don't pander to 'HEY YOUR OPINION YOU HAD 3 YEARS AGO? YOU WERE WRONG AND I'M GOING TO RUB YOUR NOSE IN IT'.

Opinions change with the times, my opinions have changed with them. I bet anything if you were to run back through my years of posting history you'd find something to prove equally baseless too.

I did not agree with Moviebob at the time, I didn't feel the need to berate or shout 'WRONG' (ala superman style) at him then and what the hell makes this guy feel it's necessary to do NOW?

Low hanging fruit... actually no, this fruit has fallen off the tree, bio degraded, become a NEW sapling, and now this guy is peeing on it yelling 'hah, take THAT fruit'.

2009 let gaming a pretty lull like state, I think this was an early... yes March, video. So I'm not surprised his feelings as a casual observer of the market led him to that way of thinking.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Zeh Don said:
Jim Sterling - a man who seems to change his opinion to meet whatever the internet seems to agree with at the time - has a more rounded and worthwhile opinion.
Not to be too off topic but this comment kind of struck me. Does Jim have a reputation for that? He has always struck me as standing very strongly by his opinions, even the unpopular ones. I mean he talks all the time about how he likes CoD, Dead Space 3, and I'm fairly certain he recently said Singularity was one of this generations best games. While those games didn't do critically horrible, they certainly aren't popular at all on The Escapist.

OT: It seems odd to me that so many people are taking this video super seriously. Its an out of context quote from 3 years ago. Look at any prediction from anyone from 3 years ago about gaming, I bet they will all be wrong.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Charli said:
I'm sorry I don't pander to 'HEY YOUR OPINION YOU HAD 3 YEARS AGO? YOU WERE WRONG AND I'M GOING TO RUB YOUR NOSE IN IT'.

Opinions change with the times, my opinions have changed with them. I bet anything if you were to run back through my years of posting history you'd find something to prove equally baseless too.

I did not agree with Moviebob at the time, I didn't feel the need to berate or shout 'WRONG' (ala superman style) at him then and what the hell makes this guy feel it's necessary to do NOW?

Low hanging fruit... actually no, this fruit has fallen off the tree, bio degraded, become a NEW sapling, and now this guy is peeing on it yelling 'hah, take THAT fruit'.

2009 let gaming a pretty lull like state, I think this was an early... yes March, video. So I'm not surprised his feelings as a casual observer of the market led him to that way of thinking.
I agree, though to me the funniest thing though is that Bob could have simply ignored this. Instead he responded with "out of context"

Winthrop said:
Zeh Don said:
Jim Sterling - a man who seems to change his opinion to meet whatever the internet seems to agree with at the time - has a more rounded and worthwhile opinion.
Not to be too off topic but this comment kind of struck me. Does Jim have a reputation for that? He has always struck me as standing very strongly by his opinions, even the unpopular ones. I mean he talks all the time about how he likes CoD, Dead Space 3, and I'm fairly certain he recently said Singularity was one of this generations best games. While those games didn't do critically horrible, they certainly aren't popular at all on The Escapist.
He has that reputation some what. I saw people make similar comments last year (before I knew who he was). But I don't know how valid it is.

I enjoy his work, as sensational as it gets at times.

Winthrop said:
OT: It seems odd to me that so many people are taking this video super seriously. Its an out of context quote from 3 years ago. Look at any prediction from anyone from 3 years ago about gaming, I bet they will all be wrong.
It's not really out of context, it's just a really specific prediction that didn't mean anything at the time (that the direction of gaming was moving towards consoles and aesthetic devices instead of home computers). Hell Roberts even showed it in that context, he just demonstrated it as the attitude that PC gaming "was dying."

Which isn't entirely accurate to what Bob was saying, but it isn't 100% wrong either.

The strong reactions are because Bob has a divisive nature on the escapist (for many reasons), so much that people have gotten Warnings for making comments that insult his attitude too much ("I think he's an idiot etc").

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Zeh Don said:
The opinions of Chris Roberts, a man famous for turning his back on video games and burning bridges to make movies, who then made 'Wing Commander' - look it up - and killed any hope for a career in any medium,
Yeah, Roberts Space Industries' kickstarter for Star Citizen failed miserabl- oh wait.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I never got the sense that he ever hated on PC gaming from the video - as has been said, it was about change, it was making a prediction, and here's the thing about predictions - they can be wrong and it doesn't make the predictor an ass, as long as they weren't predicting in an asshole-y way, which I don't think moviebob did.

EDIT: Rewatched Bob's video and I think a lot of you guys saying "Starcraft 2" should too (also aside from Starcraft, how many other big name RTS games, a genre exclusive to the PC, can you think of? Yeah, I thought so). Basically Bob's first point is that PCs are no longer getting games that can exclusively be played on PCs, and that's true - most big name PC games that aren't strategy related are console ports. Hell, even a good number of indie games are console ports.

Anyway his real point was that PCs (as we know them), and therefore PC gaming (as in gaming ON a PC) on a technicality, are dying out, and what with people saying that the PS4 is basically a PC, what Bob is saying is pretty much starting to happen.

AyaReiko said:
/facepalm

Starcraft II says hi.

So does ME2, Civ5, Fallout New Vegas...
While Starcraft 2 is big, I don't think the state of RTS games is really healthy - can you think of any big name RTS's coming out? No? Exactly, it's not really a thriving genre despite having one successful game.

As for Civ5, moviebob does acknowledge that grand strategy games are one of few genres that have remained almost exclusive to PCs.

Also don't give a snooty reply with 2 games that are also available on console, one of which is actually more of a port.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
This doesn't really make me like MovieBob any less. I'm kind of sad that people will instantly jump the shark as soon as somebody comes along and attempts to prove them wrong, especially since Chris wasn't exactly being friendly or even attempting to hide contempt.

I'm reminded of the heated rant that some guy on YouTube made - across like 9 videos - in response to Confused Matthew's 2001 video. Largely in that 1) MovieBob will either ignore him outright or 2) make a short reply and then proceed to move on. It's most of y'all that seem to be showing the real signs of aggression. Almost like you're egging them on.

Do you not have anything else to do?

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
I do disagree a fair bit with Bob but I'm not entirely sure this is fair. I was one of the people that was a bit pissed about the whole Expendables thing, but that was a while ago and it's not something he's done again. I'm not sure 'The Nineties Sucked' was something he even needed to apologise for, but I think his response was fairly good. I'd rather he did what he did- explain his position, which was understandable when fully explained, than just get a 'sorry'. Again, the Django thing, I'm not really sure why he should apologise for anything there. He merely stated his opinion, didn't bash the opposition (called Spike Lee's viewpoint 'understandable').
I wasn't all that annoyed about the Expendables thing, but the 90's thing always grated with me (Although most of his recurring bits do. "X is weird" always pisses me off, and I usually hit mute until the graphic disappears. Forced meme is forced.) The annoying thing was, he cited academic works which were roundly criticised, and partially retracted by their authors, and speaks to lazy research on Bob's part, and his discussion of geopolitics was flagrantly wrong, especially on a global level, but even when restricted to America, and he completely ignored the cultural events, which is supposedly what he was talking about, and used a poor comparison to give different decades stupid labels based on innacurate stereotypes, and then arbitrarily (Even though it could easily be given one by even his undetailed discussion [My pick would be "Dissatisfaction" "Misdirected Rage" "Angst" "Ennui"]) decided that the 90's had none. It didn't feel so much an explanation of his viewpoint, I felt, as an attempt to justify a position which he also said was sarcastic (Which is straight up disingenuous. "I'm totally justified in making this point, but if you're still annoyed, it's only a joke and sarcasm, and tongue in cheek") which is like the "lololol, I'm trolling" defense on a level of rigor.

I don't think he should apologise for the Django thing. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. My point was that he misrepresented Lee's criticism. He was very respectful towards Lee, and very polite, but he also missed the point. Whether you agree with Lee or not (And I don't really agree with him in particular, in fact, my position with regards to his sentiment is probably close to Bob's), Bob's response didn't really take into account the crux of Lee's sentiment, and too often went into a fanboy character defense of how "fiercely intelligent" Tarantino is. Which is completely detached from whether a work could have negative racial connotations.

The other two examples that slipped my mind were the Torture in the Zero-Dark Thirty bit, which again, he misrepresented the criticism (And titled a piece which had numerous errors "Tortured Logic", which is kind of adorable), and ignored the bipartisan statements as to the innacuracy of the film, to further his personal narrative of the film as an objective documentary-esque piece, decides that the criticism by the CIA must be lying because of course they lie, and Hollywood never lies or exagerates. And the fact that if the CIA is lying, then where the film got their information for a factually accurate account from a coverup completely escapes him. Al-Jezeera covered both sides of that issue better than he did. Including a detailed discussion of how the CIA could continue with torture, rather than just substanceless snark, where they did actual research, and referenced the specific policies as to what could be allowed. But it also takes into consideration the massive senatorial review of over 6-million pages of internal CIA documents, http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve/?File_id=abcf714a-38fa-4c49-8abe-e06eed51e364 These things should be basic to a journalistic discussion. But as Bob calls the journalists out for "Playing at film critics" he should be called out for "Playing at Journalist".

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/12/2012122582454397168.html http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/01/20131191566253143.html

And the belittling involved in the Mass Effect ending debacle, in which, again, he mixed valid points, with generalisations and insults to large groups of people with distinct opinions and criticisms, which he roundly condescended.

My point is, he doesn't really interact with other points of view that well, and rarely seems to give them a fair discussion. That said, I usually agree with him, and he's usually very entertaining.

Sep 17, 2009
Jove said:
YES! YES! Finally somebody calls out on MovieBob's BS!

MovieBob can go ahead and review whatever movie he wants to review, but he doesn't know the first thing about gaming besides being a die hard Nintendo fan boy. The guy is so out of touch with reality in that medium and it sickens me that he also calls himself the "game overthinker". While some people even watch it and actually take him seriously. -_-
I keep seeing all of you guys posting "MovieBob can go ahead and review movies, but he doesnt know anything about games!"

Which confuses me because his movie reviews are usually pretty terrible, heavy-handed, and painfully filtered through his own pulp-grindhouse-childhood-comic obsession.

Honestly I feel as though the only thing Bob is really qualified to talk about on this site is comics.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Terminate421 said:
I'm for the call out. I am sick and tired of Moviebob taking potshots at whatever he doesn't like and then calling those who like it idiots.

It's good for once that someone said something instead of text that no one will ever read.
This.

I normally trust his movie reviews but Moviebob needs to shut up about gaming.

Between his utter idiocy regarding the PC market and his horribly ignorant hatred of the Halo fanbase his opinions on gaming annoy the utter shit out of me.

Tomaius

Jan 25, 2012
Saviordd1 said:
Terminate421 said:
I'm for the call out. I am sick and tired of Moviebob taking potshots at whatever he doesn't like and then calling those who like it idiots.

It's good for once that someone said something instead of text that no one will ever read.
This.

Between his utter idiocy regarding the PC market and his horribly ignorant hatred of the Halo fanbase his opinions on gaming annoy the utter shit out of me.
I find he's pretty on the mark most of the time. Sure hes a bit too focused on the "Golden Age" of Nintendo, but he is a 30 year old man, and at least he openly admits it.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Tomaius said:
Saviordd1 said:
Terminate421 said:

This.

I find he's pretty on the mark most of the time. Sure hes a bit too focused on the "Golden Age" of Nintendo, but he is a 30 year old man, and at least he openly admits it.
Please see his Halo Legends video and the one being talked about in this thread for evidence to the contrary.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Winnosh said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
Winnosh said:

I thought that since steam doesn't release sales data, PC sales always seem small since it's primarily looking at boxed copies. I could be wrong on this though.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Nautical Honors Society said:
Jove said:
YES! YES! Finally somebody calls out on MovieBob's BS!

MovieBob can go ahead and review whatever movie he wants to review, but he doesn't know the first thing about gaming besides being a die hard Nintendo fan boy. The guy is so out of touch with reality in that medium and it sickens me that he also calls himself the "game overthinker". While some people even watch it and actually take him seriously. -_-
I keep seeing all of you guys posting "MovieBob can go ahead and review movies, but he doesnt know anything about games!"

Which confuses me because his movie reviews are usually pretty terrible, heavy-handed, and painfully filtered through his own pulp-grindhouse-childhood-comic obsession.

Honestly I feel as though the only thing Bob is really qualified to talk about on this site is comics.
Yeah I don't know what those people are saying. The real problem is his criticism style in general, and also the fact that he insults those who disagree with him.