Movie Bob gets called out by Chris Roberts on PC gaming

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
CriticKitten said:
I never heard MovieBob's argument so I went back to listen to it.

Now I wish I hadn't, because it's an AWFUL argument.

It basically boils down to "PCs are dying" even as he admits that new console generations are moving towards PC architecture and functionality. And he doesn't seem to recognize that a laptop is still a PC, and thus playing games on a laptop is still PC gaming. In fact you could argue that tablets are functionally a lot like PCs, too, and thus will eventually fall under "PC gaming" as well.

Nor does he understand the fact that games being released on multiple platforms does not mean that PC gaming itself is losing a grip, in fact it only means that as consoles and PCs begin to overlap more and more, there will in fact be a decreasing need for consoles, not PCs. After all, why bother getting a designated set of hardware that can't be replaced when you can buy a more powerful device that's easy to upgrade, especially if all of the same games can be played on both? Or, even if you don't go for the "clunky" large PC box, there are still laptops, tablets, and other devices which will continue to exist and provide the mobility that a console can't offer. While consoles may be selling far better than PCs in terms of overall sales, that doesn't actually mean that consoles are in a position of authority over the market. In fact, if the market crashes (as many expect it will), it's console gaming that will be more likely to die out, as the crash would hit their market the hardest.

And there are still tons of games for PCs. There's this thing called "Steam" which has a massive library of games, AAA to indie. So I'm not sure where this argument of a "lack of games" comes from. Does Bob just not know Steam exists?

Really, it's one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen, and it's not hard to see why someone would choose to target that video to argue in favor of PC gaming: because it's a weak argument and an easy target. This guy is kind of an asshat for jumping the argument, granted, but it's such a bad argument that I'm actually sort of happy to see people tearing it down.
I just really don't get it. people keep bashing Bob for his view and listing all these " Reasons " that he was wrong. This is exactly what he is talking about. Playing PC games on Laptops Tablets and such are what he was arguing for. His whole argument was about the clunky desktop PC and how they are becoming outmoded as time goes on.

He could have said that Desktop PCs are slowly fading as the central hub of the home. And that would have been a more accurate yet also longer and overblown title.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Winnosh said:
He could have said that Desktop PCs are slowly fading as the central hub of the home. And that would have been a more accurate yet also longer and overblown title.
How would that have been longer? And seeing as how many people missed his "point", it would have been better to have just said that.

It still doesn't matter cause his "point" was meaninglessly specific.

"Ok PC gaming is becoming more portable" Ok so what? To call this "PC gaming is dying" is overblown and inflammatory.

Ignoring people who really like building desktop computers, ignoring the fact that some laptops overheat constantly because they lack cooling (and can't be personally modified other than RAM), ignoring the fact that laptops are still insanely expensive (more so than desktop PCs) if you want decent specs (required for gaming) for them, then yeah I GUESS desktops PCs are "slowly" fading as central gaming platforms.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I think you guys are taking the use of a small part of MovieBob's video a bit too seriously. It was used in a presentation, and it pretty much succinctly described the majority of what people think is happening to PC gaming (how many "Is PC gaming dead?" topics have we had in the last few years?).

The clip also includes where MovieBob states that the traditional 'sense' of PC gaming is dead; because the PC isn't the only mass-market platform in this day and age, and that more and more platforms and methodologies/genres for gaming (MMO, social) are cropping up.

OP: Thank you for that video, I enjoyed watching it all. I'm really glad I put money towards Starcitizen.

Sep 17, 2009
Jove said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
Jove said:
YES! YES! Finally somebody calls out on MovieBob's BS!

MovieBob can go ahead and review whatever movie he wants to review, but he doesn't know the first thing about gaming besides being a die hard Nintendo fan boy. The guy is so out of touch with reality in that medium and it sickens me that he also calls himself the "game overthinker". While some people even watch it and actually take him seriously. -_-
I keep seeing all of you guys posting "MovieBob can go ahead and review movies, but he doesnt know anything about games!"

Which confuses me because his movie reviews are usually pretty terrible, heavy-handed, and painfully filtered through his own pulp-grindhouse-childhood-comic obsession.

Honestly I feel as though the only thing Bob is really qualified to talk about on this site is comics.
You're probably right because I haven't actually seen a lot of his movie reviews. Does he still call some product (movie in this case) terrible and call people morons if you like such product? Especially if they disagree with Bob?
Nearly every time.

Also, if the movie is about handsome people doing handsome things and not about introverts seeking revenge on said handsome people, then he will instantly hate it.

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
Yeah. Sometimes bob just starts talking nonsense. i don't know what happens, he usually seems reasonable and well considered, but then the moon gets full and he starts talking about how the personal computer is on its last legs or something. part of the charm, i guess

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
Gatx said:
While Starcraft 2 is big, I don't think the state of RTS games is really healthy - can you think of any big name RTS's coming out? No? Exactly, it's not really a thriving genre despite having one successful game.

As for Civ5, moviebob does acknowledge that grand strategy games are one of few genres that have remained almost exclusive to PCs.

Also don't give a snooty reply with 2 games that are also available on console, one of which is actually more of a port.
Company of Heroes 2, Rome Total War II, Command and Conquer: Generals 2. There I just named three RTS games that will sell incredibly well and will all most likely be released in the next year or so. Not to mention the ones already out there, Rome Total War, Medieval Total War II, Company of Heroes (plus expansions), any of the Dawn of War series (mostly DoW2), Age of Empires I and II (with II being rereleased in HD on steam expect its popularity to boom again), the original Starcraft, Warcraft III, almost any of the command and conquers. Need I go on or is that an adequate list of decently selling RTS games for the PC that are still selling today?

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Baconmonster723 said:
Gatx said:
While Starcraft 2 is big, I don't think the state of RTS games is really healthy - can you think of any big name RTS's coming out? No? Exactly, it's not really a thriving genre despite having one successful game.

As for Civ5, moviebob does acknowledge that grand strategy games are one of few genres that have remained almost exclusive to PCs.

Also don't give a snooty reply with 2 games that are also available on console, one of which is actually more of a port.
Company of Heroes 2, Rome Total War II, Command and Conquer: Generals 2. There I just named three RTS games that will sell incredibly well and will all most likely be released in the next year or so. Not to mention the ones already out there, Rome Total War, Medieval Total War II, Company of Heroes (plus expansions), any of the Dawn of War series (mostly DoW2), Age of Empires I and II (with II being rereleased in HD on steam expect its popularity to boom again), the original Starcraft, Warcraft III, almost any of the command and conquers. Need I go on or is that an adequate list of decently selling RTS games for the PC that are still selling today?
There's no point in giving me a list of games that already exist - that just shows that RTS's WERE big. Even if Age of Empires I and II keep selling now isn't a good sign if they don't make more.

I'll give you Company of Heroes 2, but I wouldn't count a Total War game as an RTS, it's more of a turn based strategy game (a genre that's been acknowledged as continuing strong on the PC) with only the battles being in real time, and Command and Conquer: Generals 2 has since been reworked into an F2P title exclusive to Origins (EA and F2P is not a mix that inspires excitement).

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Ugh. Lot of PC fanboys shitting all over Bob here.

Yeah I'd agree he makes his preference for console gaming quite obvious but almost every person in this thread ripping on him is closer to a fanboy than he is. Not that every other person really is a fanboy but Bob is incredibly mild when it comes to fanboy attacking/defending. Its just on the Escapist you can get away with more PC fanboy attitude and not be frowned upon like one who prefers consoles would be.

CabooseVD

Nov 22, 2010
I didn't know he started with "The GameOverthinker" I mainly just know him as Movie Bob here on escapist. On that I think he's almost always wrong about movies too, and so now I can add Games to the list of things he really should shut up about. He also on his third strike with me saying "The 90's suck" twice a week, constantly being a pretentious know it all prick, and now calling computer games dead. I kind of feel bad for him, it must suck being wrong all the time.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Well I agree with what Movie Bob said, but I don't particularly like the PC elitists (actually I hate them) so that's expected. I don't like the way the video maker uses ad hominem to basically disregard his view, and distorting it with the context doesn't endear him to me whatsoever.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Gatx said:

I'll bite:

Company of Heroes 2, Rome Total War 2 (RTS/TBS), Planetary Annihilation, the game whose name I can't recall that is the followup to Men of War and End of Nations. All games that promises to at least be interesting. I guess we can argue semantincs about RTW, but in the end that's just semantics.

As for the genre only having one successful game, that's frankly nonsense. Dawn of War 1+2, Company of Heroes, Sins of a Solar Empire, Men of War, AI War and Wargame: European Escalation. All of those are recent and fucking awesome. Most of them even sold well according to their own ambitions. SoaSE especially broke the bank and they made lots of improvements to it later with a fairly new expandalone as well. Hopefully they'll keep that up. Men of War is probably the best RTS you'll ever play.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Ed130 said:
I tend to ignore anything Moviebob says about gaming, mainly because its outside his area of his main expertise of movies and to a lesser extent comics and TV series (hence his screen name being 'Moviebob').
I'd say that's giving him too much credit. If there is ever a franchise reboot like with Star Trek or Star Wars, he lets his own personal geekyness get in the way.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
Gatx said:
Baconmonster723 said:
Gatx said:

There's no point in giving me a list of games that already exist - that just shows that RTS's WERE big. Even if Age of Empires I and II keep selling now isn't a good sign if they don't make more.

I'll give you Company of Heroes 2, but I wouldn't count a Total War game as an RTS, it's more of a turn based strategy game (a genre that's been acknowledged as continuing strong on the PC) with only the battles being in real time, and Command and Conquer: Generals 2 has since been reworked into an F2P title exclusive to Origins (EA and F2P is not a mix that inspires excitement).
Too bad about C&C hadn't heard that. I will say that Total War is honestly neither an RTS nor a Turn based strategy game as it truly is a good mix of both. However the point I really was wishing to make was that RTS may not be doing all that well, however, that's not really the fault of the customer. There is definitely demand for some fresh blood in the RTS mix. I think a GOOD RTS would sell quite well with there being so few options on the market as of late.

However, I'm thoroughly convinced that the bosses at the major publishers are going to remain fools and stagnate the market with "Generic FPS #234". Don't get me wrong I love a good shooter, but the Bioshocks of the world are very few and far between. But I digress.

I will concede to you, the RTS is nowhere near its peak, but I put that almost entirely on the developers and publishers of the gaming community, not the customers.