Movie cliches that you find hilarious . . . or annoying.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Also High School Musical. All about it just screams cliche and cheese in agony!

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I mean *Minor Spoilers* Armageddon: They have to dig a 800m (or such) hole in an asteroid THE SIZE OF TEXAS! You blow up a bomb on the border of Texas and it doesn't blow the state in half.
Simple physics. The asteroid is a sphere and so the explosion would easily force its way out, combined with the shattering of the inner asteroid's core meaning the rest of the asteroid would fall in on itself or be blown to bits by the debris forced out by the explosion.

thenumberthirteen said:
I fully expect there to be a Hollywood blockbuster movie where they save the Earth from a Black Hole by shooting missiles at it. Well at least we have the totally scientifically accurate 2012 movie to look forward to.
I actually can't wait to see how they end 2012, hopefully it won't involved the Earth blowing in some "deep" and "emotional" way. What makes me sad is they gave away almsot all of the plot in the trailers and pretty much all the CGI scenes.

On topic:
When love is the answer. Ugh.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Not sure if this was mentioned yet but...

The best friend/family member/team-mate who 'dies' but was just faking there death to come back evil, or betray's the group and reveals themselves as a bad guy without the faked death.

Can't trust anyone these days haha

bassie302

Feb 3, 2008
The hidden weapons in Equilibrium. I still don't quite understand how he managed to hide not just a pair of guns, but a full reloading system in his sleeves. And the ability to be shot at by about a dozen blokes with assault rifles and not get hit once...

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
bassie302 said:
The hidden weapons in Equilibrium. I still don't quite understand how he managed to hide not just a pair of guns, but a full reloading system in his sleeves. And the ability to be shot at by about a dozen blokes with assault rifles and not get hit once...
Oh man, I loved that movie, but you make a great point on it, i would have liked to see him get wounded ONCE and not be some invincible crazy man

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Mmmm. When the story of comedy arrives at the end. It's the end of all bad events that can possibly happens....Then you have a montage of everyone either laughing or nodding with a smile.....

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
When, instead of just instantly slaughtering the protagonist like the villian had intended, he enjoys a lengthy chat with him, outlining his plans, how they can be stopped, and even throwing in a nice incentive for the hero.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Squid94 said:
When, instead of just instantly slaughtering the protagonist like the villian had intended, he enjoys a length chat with him, outlining his plans, how they can be stopped, and even throwing in a nice incentive for the hero.
But that doesn't matter because there is no way the hero can stop the villain's plan, right?

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Quad08 said:
Squid94 said:
When, instead of just instantly slaughtering the protagonist like the villian had intended, he enjoys a length chat with him, outlining his plans, how they can be stopped, and even throwing in a nice incentive for the hero.
But that doesn't matter because there is no way the hero can stop the villain's plan, right?
Yes, especially when there's that gaping loophole he thought no-one would see =P

Leodiensian

Jun 7, 2008
For anyone who hates slasher movie cliches, watch "Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon". It's a mockumentary about the titular Leslie Vernon, who is setting out to become the next masked slasher legend in the style of Jason Voorhees or Leatherface. It goes through all the classic slasher tropes such as the Final Girl, but it's all told by the guy who's about to do it for real. Hilarious stuff.

Oh, and people who hate long villain monologues? There's a card game out there called "Before I Kill You, Mister Bond.." that you might like to check out. You play Bond-style villains who have to set up their evil plans and overcome attacks from spies. When you capture a spy, you have the option of just killing them or really spinning out their death with long, gloating speeches and slow moving, elaborate death traps. This will earn you more points, but it gives the spy more chance to escape and press the self-destruct button that you decided was a good idea when you built your island volcano lair.

On to the cliches!

Cop Shows: "YOU HAVE TWENTY FOUR HOURS TO FIND ME THAT EVIDENCE!"

Anything With A Stern Female Character: "I'm so stern and officious and a complete *****, but when I let down my hair and take off my glasses you can see I'm really beautiful and just want to be loved. Take me, studmuffin!"

Okay, here's another one.

You know how when there's a vampire and they get staked, they turn to dust? Or when someone who is immortal is killed, time 'catches up with them' and then age four hundred years in a second or some shit? That pisses me off. Heroes is a really bad example for this; a guy who suddenly loses the healing power that's kept him alive immortally for hundreds of years suddenly turns to a skeleton for no apparent reason.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
eatmorebabiesmmg00d said:
i hate how in horror movies people always make the black guy die first
Oh my gosh! I was thinking the same thing.

Another one is that almost every horror movie has some corny chase either through a hospital or an insane asylum.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I've never cared for the mandatory car chases in every action movie. Even more hilarious are the horror movies. Slasher films are predictable, where the virgin girl is the only one who survives. Or torture films, where the director just thinks of whatever would shock people instead of using subtlety.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
When the villain has the hero at gunpoint, but still bothers to have a conversation with him. "I can shoot you now but I somehow want to talk to you, so you can make up an escape plan."

The obligatory black guy, who can't say a sentence without using "f*ck" and holds his gun sideways.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Disaster Button said:
thenumberthirteen said:
I mean *Minor Spoilers* Armageddon: They have to dig a 800m (or such) hole in an asteroid THE SIZE OF TEXAS! You blow up a bomb on the border of Texas and it doesn't blow the state in half.
Simple physics. The asteroid is a sphere and so the explosion would easily force its way out, combined with the shattering of the inner asteroid's core meaning the rest of the asteroid would fall in on itself or be blown to bits by the debris forced out by the explosion.
I'm no Physicist (and since your profile says you're 16 then can I assume that you aren't either), but I don't think that's how it'd work. If by "force it's way out" you mean out the other side then you don't have a grasp of the scales at hand. The movie says it's an iron asteroid "the size of Texas". Texas is about 1400 Kilometres across, the hole they dig is 800 feet (say 250m) that's only 1/5000th of the way in (1/2500th of the way to the core) assuming it's a sphere then the blast will not reach the core, but will instead blast away all it's energy into space leaving a small crater. Even if it did gut the asteroid like you say it wouldn't collapse in on itself as it's gravity would be negligible. Any way it doesn't matter as it would still hit Earth.

<spoiler=Here's a scale diagram of the Asteroid>

On this scale Bruce Willis's drill hole is 1/10th of a pixel in size

As a side note I realised we both have the same first name, and we live about 30 minutes away from each other :)

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
The Willhelm scream. It's in so many movies now that I think you could call it a cliche. I always burst out laughing when I hear it and everyone else looks at me like wtf? It's my own little secret...

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Disaster Button said:
thenumberthirteen said:
I'm no Physicist (and since your profile says you're 16 then can I assume that you aren't either), but I don't think that's how it'd work. If by "force it's way out" you mean out the other side then you don't have a grasp of the scales at hand. The movie says it's an iron asteroid "the size of Texas". Texas is about 1400 Kilometres across, the hole they dig is 800 feet (say 250m) that's only 1/5000th of the way in (1/2500th of the way to the core) assuming it's a sphere then the blast will not reach the core, but will instead blast away all it's energy into space leaving a small crater. Even if it did gut the asteroid like you say it wouldn't collapse in on itself as it's gravity would be negligible. Any way it doesn't matter as it would still hit Earth.

<spoiler=Here's a scale diagram of the Asteroid>

On this scale Bruce Willis's drill hole is 1/10th of a pixel in size

As a side note I realised we both have the same first name, and we live about 30 minutes away from each other :)
I like to think I know what I'm talking about
But I dunno I still think it could work. Buuuttt I'm probably wrong. Damn, you just poked a massive plot hole through a really good movie..

And that is one weird coincidence. I actually live about 15 mintues way from Newcastle, it's just easier to right that than Washington. D'you know where that is?

StartRunning

Dec 14, 2007
You guys should read TVtropes.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

Seriously, it's all on there. Now go read for hours and hours. Don't forget to eat.

dtthelegend

Oct 19, 2008
I hate it when people need to get out of a place and they've had every single warning by the bad guy to leave to safety and they dont. They could even have time to eat or go to the bathroom or alert the authorities or even find someone better suited to help them, yet they stay in one place and are soooo suprised when the enemy rears his ugly head and destroys them all.