Movie Defense Force: Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Given the FACT that the original Blairwitch Project was a Piece of Shit (yes, I watched it BACK THEN), I never cared for the sequel, understandably.

So given the FACT that BW2 has barely nothing to do with BW1, I might actually watch this.
Again, impressive work, Jim!

AceRay

Jan 8, 2013
Inuprince said:
trty00 said:
Jim, I love ya, and you make some good points, but I still hate this one. It's still crap in my eyes.
Totally agree with your post, the only good that came from this movie, was the Nostalgia Critic's review of it.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/32868-blair-witch-2-book-of-shadows

I recommend the review, even to those who haven't seen the sequel and just want to know what happens in it.
Ha ha, I was just totally going to link that here when I finished. Honestly, this movie is still pretty crappy, all things considered.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Now if you ask me the first Blair Witch movie was a terrible movie. Of course I couldn't even get all the way through it without getting quezzy from the way the camera kept bobbing about. As for Blair Witch 2, well I've only seen snatches of it so I can't really pronounce judgment.
I agree, I hate movies with shaky camera. The movie might still be good, but it's so distracting to focus that it ruins it for me.

OT: I saw this movie when I was quite young so I don't really think I can judge the quality. I didn't find it terrible, but nor do I really think I understood it completely.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
at least it wasnt as boring as the first one. damn, i nearly fell asleep. part 2 at least kept me awake. so yeah, its watchable but forgettable at the same time.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Well, the reason I've never given Blair Witch 2 a chance is because frankly, I hated the first one.

There's a difference between clearly telling that something is happening/something is there, but not explicitly telling us what (or just giving us glimpses of it) and letting our minds fill in the blanks (ex. a horror film that gets this concept right), and having absolutely nothing happen (or having something completely mundane/boring happen) and acting like it's a big deal (ex. The Blair Witch Project). You see, the "Nothing is Scarier" trope only works when you know something is there, or giving a sense that something could happen at any moment and yet it doesn't. My imagination isn't particularly lurched into a gripping dread of the unknown by a bunch of idiots freaking out over piles of neatly stacked rocks and twigs.

However, if this movie does cross over into the "so bad it's funny" category, I'll gladly watch it; I am a conniseur of terrible films, so to speak.
But if it's just a "decent, nothing special" horror film, like Jim said, well, I'm not interested.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I kinda, sorta agree that Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows wasn't that bad. It was a jarring shifting of direction when viewed as a sequel to Blair Witch Project. I don't think BW2 was very consistent with the idiotic mythology that BWP had built up around it which may have been another reason people hated it. I wouldn't know because I couldn't be bothered to soak up that bullshit. Christ but I'm jaded.

Taken on it's own merits, BW2 is not perfect. The opening is stupid where characters are literally introduced to us because, well, fuck you. I could see many people turning it off during that scene and never coming back. It has some creepy moments, but creepy moments do not a good horror story make. We're given a lot of disjointed imagery and situations that just don't add up to much. So the reveal at the end don't make no damned sense. Why should it when nothing else makes any damned sense?

Ultimately, it doesn't have anything to do with the Blair Witch and feels like it's namedropping when it references any of it. There is no book, shadowy or otherwise. It is a watchable time-waster. It's also a forgettable time-waster. Most you'll remember is Erica Leerhsen was naked and you still didn't get to see her tits. It is nice to see what the guy from Burn Notice was doing before that series.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Blunderboy said:
I'd forgotten all about this film.
It's a shame Micheal couldn't bring Sam along, he's used to spooky happenings in the woods.

Ya'know, I've always thought the guy who plays Mike wasn't a great actor, but I had no idea...

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
Yeeeeah, no. Sorry, I know that these things usually boil down to the biggest general cop-out of our time, "It's a matter of opinion" but here I just have to say no. "Book of Shadows" (whatever that is, because there's no bloody book of anything in the movie) is plain and simple trite.
Personally, I never gave that much about the Blair Witch-Franchise in general and thus I only saw the original as well as this movie on TV after the entire hype already passed. And while Blair Witch Project was (in my eyes) massively overrated, it at least offered some consistency and - I have to admit - some pretty decent ideas as to how convey a certain helplessness when meddling with supernatural...things. As to how well these ideas were executed, I leave that to another discussion.

Book of Shadows on the other hand was just stupid and annoying, the characters were pretentious and unlikeable (and not in this horror movie "I'm looking forward to seeing them die" kind of way)and ignoring the whole Blair Witch-connection, which really isn't hard to do, doesn't help in the slightest, since the Blair Witch has nothing to do with the events in the movie, apart from being mentioned a few times.
Luckily, I don't have to go in depth with this since, as someone already pointed out on page 1, the Nostalgia Critic already did a review on this movie and no matter what you think of Doug Walker and his qualifications in general, he summarizes pretty well (almost) everything what's wrong with this turd.

And as far as that "It's not much worse than Final Destionation and other horror flicks of that time"-argument goes: Well, maybe it is time to face the ugly truth: Final Destination is an overrated trite, too. The premise is a giant plot hole in and of itself and the concept behind the movie(s) gets really old, really fast. The first movie was shite and it went only downhill from there as it became more and more apparant that the entire franchise was just a project of people with very weird fetishes who wanted to make a giant "How can you die in everyday life situations"-list....as a movie.

This week, the movie defense force decided to protect a 7 story pile of shit with a 50 cm-radius wooden shield.

his1nightmare

Nov 8, 2010
Well, this little video here, partly, made me watch this movie.
In the end, I was pretty surprised. It's not a very good film, but compared to what can be compared to it, it's actually lovable. Story and pacing is very nice; camera follows the rules (nothing too great, but nothing wrong), characters/voices acceptable.
It was never (too) boring and eventually it feels like this movie was worth the time.
Thanks Jim, +1 to your credibility.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
You've probably defended this movie as well as anyone can.

It's not good but it's nowhere near as bad as people claim.

On it's own merits I still don't really like BW:BoS but that's largely because I wasn't overly fond of any horror films coming out around that time (I blame the Scream franchise), with Ginger Snaps being the only horror film in my collection from that year that I still find watchable.

To be sure, even if I don't like the movie itself there are things about the BW:BoS concept that I like. The idea of following up a found footage film with a "based on true events" traditional film is actually a brilliant idea and one that I'm surprised hasn't been tried since.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Triaed said:
Ooh, do Twilight!
he wont since twillight is legitimately bad movie.

And i though i was the only one that found Blair Witch 2 enjoyable. Turns out i was right all aling, Cha, in your face internet.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Signa said:
Triaed said:
Ooh, do Twilight!
Wait, wait, wait. You're asking Jim Fucking "thank God for him" Sterling to defend Twilight? What the hell man?! Are you trying to drive him to suicide?!

And Jim, you're going to have to step it up a notch (just a tiny notch is fine). As enjoyable as this episode was, your argument boiled it down to "it wasn't as bad as it could be/people were too harsh on it." Having never seen the movie, that may be a completely fair assessment of it, but that argument can be applied to just about any movie that doesn't have universal acclaim. Your Aliens 3 video gave us some real reasons to not hate it. I'm not foolish enough to think that choosing a movie to defend and then finding something about it that will make it shine in the light is an easy task to do every week, but if this is to be expected for your average quality, you may as well as not bother. The internet is already full of movie reviewers and people who love to rage on about rage. However, if you can bring it like you did with Aliens 3, there's no reason for your show to not thrive. There's not enough reviewers out there willing to say why something doesn't suck, an itemize each tangible facet of the movie that other viewers just flat-out ignored.
What can I say? I like to see a grown man squirm :)

PlasticLion

Nov 21, 2009
By being a sequel to The Blair Witch Project, this movie received a lot of attention and a lot of hate. If it would have been a stand alone movie, it would have received no attention. No one on the internet would have ever reviewed this if it was just The Book of Shadows.

I really don't dislike this movie, but it annoys me when a "cash in" improves the fate of a mediocre movie. The writing, directing, and acting value of this movie isn't worth the money it brought in.

I enjoyed watching this review, but I hope that all of them aren't about cash ins.

Mosstromo

Jul 5, 2008
Right again Sir Sterling. Right in games right in films. Blair Witch 2 is not bad at all.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
I remember this film. They had some sort of contest where they placed clues in the film. I only found one: it's in the scene where the goth girl is introduced. One of the tombstones has a name written on it, but when the angle changes, the inscription is different and that was one of the answers you had to send in. Apparently there are more of them scattered throughout the film.

Blazing Bird

Sep 11, 2010
I never liked Blair Witch 1. It actually stands as my worst movie of all time.

I had no expectations for this piece of visual trash, and apparently I was right to think so. This movie is simply bad. The characters are flat, boring, two dimensional cookie cutter stereotypes. Even worse is their infuriating petty, selfish, self-righteous, greedy attitude that pervades the whole movie. Why do I care about them? Why SHOULD I care about them? Their terrible people in a terrible place doing terrible things.

This movie can't hide behind it's visuals either. It's luke warm at best, and if you want eye fodder, go watch Altered States, Video Drome, or even the human centipede for god's sake! It's uninteresting, uninspired tripe. It's atmosphere is atrocious. You'd have to be twelve years old to think that was alarming or disturbing in any way. You want atmosphere, go watch carnival of souls, ANYTHING other than this movie.

Slogging through the mangled wreck that is the main body of the movie is not justified by the admittedly decent twist at the end. I was ready to walk out half way through, the only thing keeping me watching was pure masochism.

Finally, Jim just because it was comparable to other bad movies from the late nineties doesn't make it passible entertainment. I didn't like most of the visual popcorn from that decade, and I especially didn't like this.

Jim I respect your attitude towards properties that are generally considered unpopular by the drooling masses, I really do. I thought your alien 3 review was spot on and the passion you brought to it was refreshing. This movie however needs to be buried. It like other movies of it's age are a testament to the fact that you can get away with lowering the standard of quality in visual media and people will still pay top dollar for it, either through gullibility or simple determined stupidity.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting series Jim, I hope it thrives. Maybe I'll be able to generate some interesting conversations/arguements to build up your comments and traffic. :)

That said, being late to the party I'm going to mention an issue that Jim might want to consider when talking about why certain films fail, or get more in the way of flak than they deserve, which I would have started back with "Aliens 3" had I been paying enough attention to the site to see the new series launch:

One has to remember that with really popular franchises that spawn a lot of official "branded" material there are expectations of quality and consistincy. With "Alien 3" for example this movie got slammed in part because it was released AFTER an extremely well received run of comics done by "Dark Horse" which were supposed to be an official continuation of the storyline, and picked up with a surviving Newt and Hicks in that universe. It set a pretty high bar for the continuation of the series. The problem with "Alien 3" to a large extent was that it not only took a huge dump on the continuity which series fans loved (pretty much if you saw that movie, you were probably reading the comics) but it also failed to improve on it in the eyes of the fans. It might have been forgiven for ignoring a comics continuation and the fact that it was SUPPOSED to have been official, IF it had produced something equally strong, and while "Aliens 3" might have been fine as a movie, it was a complete failure due to it's own competition in brand. It actually damaged the franchise by destroying the comics continuity which people could no longer get into as being "official" while leaving behind what fans felt was comparitively crap.

With "Blair Witch 2" (bet you were waiting for me to get on subject) it's a very similar situation. The original Blair Witch was popular enough to spawn series of young adult novels, merchandise, and even a series of video games, all of which were fairly clever and built up the mythology surrounding events. Basically if you were a serious "Blair Witch" fan, you were following this stuff, and it's success was apparently how they gauged that there was enough interest to do a sequel. The problem was that like "Alien 3" they pretty much ignored most of the stuff that had been established (though I believe there were a few referances) and arguably replaced a growing mythology with something that was inferior to most of the creations surrounding it. Whether the movie was on it's own merits that terrible, you have to remember that the core audience wasn't just looking at the movie on it's own merits. That's something critics need to learn to understand.

I also think that "Blair Witch" in paticular was built around a franchise killing premise. That is to say a lot of wierdness with no real answers ever being intended. Some people naively think this makes horror movies "better" but in reality is just pure laziness. In the end what sells a good mythology is when everything ties together and the end result is as cool as the mystery was. That's hard to do, but then again writing was never accused of being easy and
it's why good ones are so lionized. People ultimatly wanted to have the questions clearly answered, and despite the end of "Book Of Shadows" they really weren't. The tie in products were however beginning to answer those questions before they were squashed, and really if they had used the movie sequel as a sort of finale of the process it might have been a lot better received. That said, if you look at what happened with "Lost" when it began to get dragged out (and post finale falloff, despite the horrbily tacked on answers) and things like that, you can see why what they tried to do with "Blair Witch" just generally doesn't work, albiet it WAS one of the first mainstream movies of this generation
to try it.

Now, I notice that MDF's intro mentions a lot of franchise movies as paragons of what should be defended. In defending these movies however I think you need to consider the big picture, especially as it stood when these movies were released. Oftentimes that makes it easy to understand why the fans didn't rally for them like others. For example when looking at "Freddy Vs. Jason" the movie was entertaining, but then consider that that was a fight every 80s seriel horror fan had in their mind since they were little kids, dozens of scripts were presented over the years, many of which were linked, and tons of people had sketched out exactly that fight one way or another. The problem I think was that they made a mistake of trying to make a movie aimed at a very select crowd of long-term horror nerds too accessible, didn't give it the depth and minutae people wanted, and in the end released a product that while okay as a movie actually managed to be inferior as a Jason Vs. Freddy confrontation to a lot of fanfics or leaked scripts featuring the idea.

This might sound strange, but in closing I'll say that this kind of recurring mishandling of established mythologies might be a thing of the past as media winds up growing closer together, and you start seeing ARGs connected to video games and movies, and so on, to the point where in some cases you get cohesive mythologies built accross a number of platforms, none of which gives the entire picture, but is intended to be experienced together.

I think as a template for franchises, companies need to look back as far as HP Lovecraft, the guy who built what is pretty much the most enduring horror mythos ever, despite the involvement of a number of period authors and wierd tales creators with their own ideas. That is to say that they need to develop a solid vision of "the truth", keep to it, and then have someone to administrate consistincy with that even as things are being added to it. I mention this because it's possible to have some really good mysteries involving the Lovecraftian mythos and then tie everything together in the end and have it all make sense while still being pretty bloody terrifying... which is largely why the mythos continues to survive and be used today. In the hands of a decent author (you don't need to be an incredible one, which is part of the point) you can consistantly produce some nasty stuff keeping to those tenets.

To be honest when I was younger I thought for a little while that "Blair Witch" might have grown into something similar if not as pervasive, and on a more limited scale. "Book Of Shadows" kind of ruined that to be honest, and truthfully after tha movie it didn't seem like there was much interest in developing the universe. The same can be said of "Alien 3" for that matter, when the people building it were crushed under the weight of a inferior movie that wrecked their work, they kind of gave up on it.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
That's the whole problem though. Blair Witch 2 is a terrible Blair Witch movie, in the same way Final Fantasy: Spirits Within was a TERRIBLE Final Fantasy movie.

If you just called it 'Book of Shadows' or 'Spirits Within', both movies are pretty decent, Spirits Within even inspiring Mass Effect with it's visuals.