Movie Defense Force: Friday the 13th (Reboot)

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Friday the 13th (Reboot)

: Yes, Michael Bay was involved. Yes, it's a reboot. 2009's Friday the 13th is still one of the good ones!

Watch Video

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think the annoyance with it is that it seems to have thrown the original movie out the window. I mean Jason wasn't really in the original, it was his mother (its over 20 years old, spoilers don't count anymore.), I don't think the hockey mask even showed up till the third movie. Just watching your review kinda made me annoyed at the reboot and I'm not some old fan of the series, I've actually only seen the first movie and I only saw it for the first time last weekend.

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
I'll admit that I saw parts 1-5 after I saw the reboot, but I thought it worked better than many said. It's not a great film, but neither are the rest of the Jason films. They're all pretty junky at the core.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I haven't seen this one, but it doesn't sound that bad to me. I think people are just biased against reboots. I think this is a classic case of They changed it now it sucks [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks]

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Worgen said:
I think the annoyance with it is that it seems to have thrown the original movie out the window. I mean Jason wasn't really in the original, it was his mother (its over 20 years old, spoilers don't count anymore.), I don't think the hockey mask even showed up till the third movie. Just watching your review kinda made me annoyed at the reboot and I'm not some old fan of the series, I've actually only seen the first movie and I only saw it for the first time last weekend.
It didn't really throw out the original movie though. There's some acknowledgement of it in the opening scene in fact. But the reality is that when most people think Friday the 13th they think Jason, not Jason's mom. It was the right decision if you ask me to use her death which did happen in the first movie as somewhat of the launching off point to get into Jason growing up a killer. It makes more sense and it's a lot more interesting. As for the mask, he didn't start with it in the reboot either, so they absolutely did have the nod to that from the originals. But it would be a little ridiculous to have a reboot where he's wearing a cloth bag with one eye hole all movie long and never get the hockey mask. Just like Jason is the killer most associated with Friday the 13th, the hockey mask is his most iconic feature, and there are probably people who would see the reboot and not even realize that he wasn't in the original or that the mask didn't show up until number three and would end up totally confused.

Honestly, I agree with Jim's assessment of this movie. It isn't amazing, but it does what it sets out to do competently and still pays respect to the original movies as much as possible. And compared to the originals it really is just far better than they were. Some people probably either forget, or choose to forget, but those originals are awful by any objective measure. The only reason they're still somewhat watchable is as an example of horror movies at the time they were made and because they kind of cross the line into so bad they're good territory as a lot of slasher films do.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
I hope you tackle Aeon Flux film at some point. The fact they managed to get 1 coherent story out of the source material is pretty good in itself

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Running? Seriously? Don't these slasher killers make a habit of appearing suddenly and then disappearing when the protagonist looks back at them? How did people think they moved so quickly?
Actually the act of dissapearing and reappearing (to me anyway) is a lot more scarier than something that can run. Why? You can hear something running and chasing you. If there's something that can instantaneously move from one spot to the next without being able to see or hear it, you're pretty much screwed. I know this from experience because for some reason whenever im walking through my house and i say hi to a family member they freak the hell out because they didn't hear me moving throughout the house and thought they were alone. i don't do it on purpose mind you it just happens.

another example is the endermen from minecraft and anyone who's played it knows what im talkin about, especially at 1:00

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I only heard about people's dislike for this movie when I started frquenting the online scene. Me and my friends actually liked this movie, even if it seems a bit restrained compared to some other installments. I'll never understand what people expected from a Friday the 13th movie in the first place.

the darknees abyss

Mar 29, 2012
I don't know why people hate this movie it's not that bad it's actually quiet good it dose what slash films are meant to do.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
They changed it now it sucks [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks]
There goes my evening, I wanted to get work done :[

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Michael bay? Ooooh, I watched the entire review thinking it was the Rob Zombie Halloween movie. "Oh well," said Fred.

If there is any movie that gets too much unwarranted bashing, it's Battlefield Earth.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
Friday the 13th (Reboot)

: Yes, Michael Bay was involved. Yes, it's a reboot. 2009's Friday the 13th is still one of the good ones!

Watch Video
How about doing pandorum at some point? i loved that film, then again maybe you didnt, maybe you thought it sucked big floppy donkey cock. In which case don't do it.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Here's the thing about "evolving the character" of Jason. Jason isn't a character. He's pure catharsis. He is a force of nature. You don't ask what the shark from JAWS was feeling when he ate the swimmers, he just ate them. Cause that what sharks do. And you don't need to ask why Jason does what he does either. He just is. Period.

At least that is how it used to be before the reboot. And I think that is why so many fans didn't like the rebooted Friday. Personally, I'll watch anything with Jason Voorhees in it and it will get a solid review from me regardless. I love all the Fridays. From the first to Jason X. And whether they continue with the more realistic survivalist Jason or whether they go back to nonsense Zombie Jason, I'll still show up. If he get's a time traveling Machete and ends up in ancient Egypt fighting mummies with Abbot and Costello... I'll still show up and root for big J.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Not sure if you are looking for suggestions, but I always thought the 2004 Punisher was a good, clever, and watchable film, but it has a metacritic score of 33.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Haven't seen anything beyond the original and Jason vs Freddy, but it sounds like this one got a lot of undeserved shit.
Keep at it, Jim!

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Here's the thing about "evolving the character" of Jason. Jason isn't a character. He's pure catharsis. He is a force of nature. You don't ask what the shark from JAWS was feeling when he ate the swimmers, he just ate them. Cause that what sharks do. And you don't need to ask why Jason does what he does either. He just is. Period.
Let's be fair here, Jason has SOME character to him, but just enough to make the audience realise his origin and reason for being the monstrous force he is. We know that he won't kill kids, and we know he goes after people at Crystal Lake because they (almost?) let him drown. But yes, overall Jason is one-note until he becomes a zombie but he plays that note well. Still better than the overdoing it version of Michael Meyers, rather than learning of his sessions with Loomis that he is nothing but pure, calculating, unrelenting evil.

Though I do think the survivalist thing was iffy. I mean, it makes some sense but at the same time Jason was originally supposed to be deformed and mentally ill/retarded, wasn't he? It's kinda hard to believe some of that, especially if he didn't have someone to show him how to do it.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Wow, Jim actually does like some really shitty movies, doesn't he?

Can we please get a video series that keeps to the actual premise - defending underrated movies, rather than one that just says that shitty movies are good because Jim likes them?

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
My girlfriend and I own all of the movies in this series, and this one gets the second-most playtime in our house, after Part 6: Jason Lives. While that one is really funny, this one is mostly serious, and builds up the tension nicely before giving us the kills. Everything they changed is well-done, and they kept enough of the essential elements (even the humor, despite what I just said!) that it really feels like the culmination of efforts to put together a really good Jason movie.

However, the "Nightmare on Elm Street" reboot, done by the same production company, was not so good. I thought the idea of Freddy being actually innocent was brilliant, but then they said "nope, he's even worse than we thought!" What if they'd run with that idea -- that Freddy was an innocent man who was killed by a mob in once of the worst ways imaginable, and was taking revenge on them? It would have been a stark statement about mob violence, and the way that suburban life leads to a distrust of outsiders. But no, it tripped, fell, and just led to massive disappointment.