Movie Defense Force: Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Hellraiser is awesome and Pinhead was my avatar for great many years. The more i listen to you the more i see our opinions match so well, its amazin.

Capcha: Goose bumps. realy?

YuberNeclord

Jul 15, 2012
Orekoya said:
Zhukov said:
I can't help but notice that a lot of these movie defenses of yours essentially consist of, "Well, at least you can laugh at how bad it is."
I can't help but notice that you point this out on a video that doesn't deploy that defense at all but instead one that opted for the other common defense of "Oh sure, it wasn't as good as the others in its series but it was a good movie in its own right."
When Jim says something like:

"Hellraiser 3 however, is in the basement with the boobs and the blood, having a laugh with Chucky and Jason. But hey, in the world of the shitty horror film, Hellraiser 3 is a bloody good laugh."

Then I would consider that using the "Well, at least you can laugh at how bad it is" defence. Though you are right, he does use the whole "Oh sure, it wasn't as good as the others in its series but it was a good movie in its own right" defence as well.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
YuberNeclord said:
Orekoya said:
Zhukov said:
I can't help but notice that a lot of these movie defenses of yours essentially consist of, "Well, at least you can laugh at how bad it is."
I can't help but notice that you point this out on a video that doesn't deploy that defense at all but instead one that opted for the other common defense of "Oh sure, it wasn't as good as the others in its series but it was a good movie in its own right."
When Jim says something like:

"Hellraiser 3 however, is in the basement with the boobs and the blood, having a laugh with Chucky and Jason. But hey, in the world of the shitty horror film, Hellraiser 3 is a bloody good laugh."

Then I would consider that using the "Well, at least you can laugh at how bad it is" defence. Though you are right, he does use the whole "Oh sure, it wasn't as good as the others in its series but it was a good movie in its own right" defence as well.
I don't because that quote is out of context where he was talking about the entire genre of slasher films as 'shitty horror films': not that they are bad movies by default but because even though he might enjoy the genre he admits that there typically isn't anything deep or meaningful to them. Therefore he's not saying it's bad and you can laugh at how bad it is. He's saying that while the entire genre is crass and the previous installments of the series had risen above their trappings with something cerebral to them, this one didn't but can still be enjoyed for how well it revels in it. Which is basically "Oh sure, it wasn't as good as the others in its series but it was a good movie in its own right."

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
ZZoMBiE13 said:
This is an interesting series and I'm glad that it's here on The Escapist. However, I cannot, for the life of me, understand but about a third of the theme song. [ ... ]
Take solace, sir: You are not alone.

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
Out of the theatrical releases, HR3 was the weakest of the bunch. With Clive Barker no longer a part of the series, merely his name on it, things degraded quickly into making a marketable, easy-to-digest movie for the masses. The juxtaposition between the first two movies, this, and the fourth one (which was not as good as the first two, much better than the third, and eminently better than any of the straight-to-video releases) is somewhat jarring. Pinhead before was just a servant of the wants of a god that wanted more souls in its grasp to torture, and in 3 became the typical "want to take over the world" villan. The whole "good vs evil" (or human vs demon) of the Pinhead story was interesting as a side bit in 2, but it becoming a main plot point in 3 was just lazy writing combined with a cliche. The script itself was bad, so was the direction, and the acting was very poor, except from Doug Bradley, who, like Jim stated, never stopped being Pinhead, just being different kinds of Pinhead. 4 was a good return to form, though less so just because it wasn't about tempting people and fighting the Cenobites, just fighting the Cenobites. Still, Hellraiser, as a (talking about the theatrical releases, not the straight-to-videos, those are mixed bunch) series is miles better than most other horror series, pretty much, again, for what Jim stated. If you haven't, at the very least, check out Hellraiser 1,2 and 4. If you so desire, check out the whole series, theatrical and straight-to-video, though just know that only one of those was decent (7 has Kari Wuhrer as the main protagonist, and 8 has Lance Henrikson as the main villan, so let that be a guide on how "good" those movies are).