Movie Defense Force: Hulk - You Won't Like Me When I'm Ang Lee

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
That bit where he bends the cannon barrel back in to the tank always makes me chuckle.

I genuinely liked the film back when it came out, although I did think it had a few flaws (most of which were covered in the video). One thing that always bugged me about it is that it felt like they were holding back on the hulk violence just a little too much: they were always careful to make sure he didn't kill any military personnel and they mostly kept him isolated in the desert or other remote areas. I understand focusing on Banner as a victim, which I was totally on board with, but it took too much away from the uncontrollable rage thing. The Ed Norton reboot definitely ran with the hulk violence, but other than that I felt it wasn't as necessary.

I do agree that this movie needed defending, though; it oftentimes doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
This one just sucks, because of the MASSIVE hype it had built up.
Ang Lee from Crouching Tiger?!!!! The flippin' HULK?!!!! The Matrix showed (FOUR years prior!) CGI was now quite advanced, and there's always great physical FX!!!

And then this landed, crushing my hopes like the Hulk himself landing on a carton of milk.
I will forever think of this as a turd; those stupid dog monsters instead of... you know Hulk villains? :'(

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I couldn't square the circle in regards to the tragic, depressing story and the comically bad action scenes. I just couldn't. Alone, these things aren't too much of a problem for me, but combined? I get mood whiplash like you wouldn't believe.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I really liked this version of the HULK. I like the cast, I thought the performances were entertaining, and I liked the weird panel style visual design that Ang Lee used.

Was it as good as the current run of MARVEL films? Not by a damn sight. But was it a good film in it's day? Absolutely. And I mostly think it holds up.

Norton's HULK was good too, and the ties to the MARVEL universe make it a fun movie. But I think some of Ang Lee's HULK has better casting. Jennifer Connolly as Betty was a great choice and I think she was way better than Liv Tyler. Sam Elliot and William Hurt... that's a wash. I enjoyed both of those guys about evenly.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I guess I'll give this Hulk a try. That way I can catch up on my pre-Avengers Marvel movies before I catch up on the Avengers Marvel movies.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I remember liking this movie. Mostly because of the fact that the Hulk didn't actually kill anyone (well except for that one douchebag). I liked that because it represented the idea that the Hulk wasn't a complete monster.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
This is honestly in my top five for favorite movies of all time. No I'm not joking I honestly love this movie and find it in a lot of ways cathartic and very relatable.

Every time I bring up this movie I always hear the same thing I hear when I bring up Superman Returns. "it's boring because he doesn't fight things. There's no action" to which I always reply "Fuck. You" plenty of action and a very, VERY enjoyable and at times moving film that severely overestimated it's audience and dared to do something more with a comic book property than just make a simple effects action flick.

I prefer to think of this in continuity with the Avangers as apposed to that shallow fast paced horribly CG'ed reboot.

EDIT: The CG doesn't hold up? Take a look again my friend that CG is still spectacular and looks stunning even in a post AVATAR world I'm still convinced it's a giant muscled up Eric Banna painted green.
What is it people? The tone of green or something?

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Still one of my favorite Hulk movies. I love the scene in the desert with the tanks. The look on his face was pure "Leave me the !@!%@ ALONE!!!". Every time I see that I can just feel the rage and just flat out annoyance.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I know they say its not in continuity with the Marvel cinematic universe, having never seen it, does it conflict with the movie? COULD it fit if they wanted it to?

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, people, but a friend of mine thought this was a great movie because it stuck so closely to the source material. I haven't read the original comic(s) so can anyone confirm/deny that?

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
I feel there's a lot of strengths to both Hulk films. if you could find a happy balance of the cerebral aspects of the Ang Lee film, with smash happy Norton film as it went too much the other way we'd have the perfect Hulk movie. (oddly I feel like Superman returns and man of Steel are juxtaposed in a very similar manner, over correcting the issues of the previous.) While the Ang Lee film was rather slow, and could have trimmed the fat in places, I feel like the story resonated over all well with what it means be the hulk(Hulk VS Thor I feel like really puts ultimate price on what being the Hulk to Bruce Banner. We always know it in our hearts, but it puts a face on it.), and having a unhealthy relationship with your father. It captures the rage and sprit so well, if only there was something cooler for him to beat up besides the radioactive dogs.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This movie was great, it has its problems like length, graphics and the mutant hulk dogs maybe come across cartooney. But i liked the story and there is a lot of good hulk stuff. An i like the fact he didnt want to fight, he just wanted to be left alone but people just keep pushing him. Now i watched the Norton remake, and it was mostly forgettable rubbish. Had some good scenes in it but thats it. He is a hard character to do unless you go for the smart Hulk, because all your doing is getting bruce into a situation that annoys him so he can Hulk out and smash stuff. Which is why i liked the story of Hulk, it made it personal to him.

Hope Marvel gives it another go after the amazing Avengers movie Hulk. But then the most people know of Hulk is the "HULK SMASH" aspect. So i do wonder if people just wanted to see a green guy break stuff instead of an actual interesting storyline.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
In all fairness, the worst thing about that movie was the hype. I know Hollywood loves it some hype, but after waiting the obligatory extra few months after the US release, by which time the already over-played hype machine had turned it into some bloated mega-franchise, there was just no way the movie itself could live up to the all-encompassing descended-from-God greatest-thing-ever that it'd been played up to be.

Anyone who thinks The Avengers is a bit too loved? You have NO idea how lucky you are.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This movie sucks, but I'll take it over the Norton Hulk any ol' day of the week.

The Ang Lee Hulk has some interesting things going on and some tremendous visuals. Yeah, I don't care what anybody says, the Ang Lee Hulk is still the best looking one in my opinion. He's got an appropriate sense of weight to him, and I love the way he moves. And the fantstic practical destruction effects only add to his presence. Even the Hulk in The Avengers was ultimately just bashing other CG objects.

But yeah, the story was pretty terrible, the origin was the biggest heap of convoluted bullshit, the fucking comic panel scene structure was baffling, and the performances were awkward to say the least.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Look, can't we all just agree that Mark Ruffalo deserves his own solo Hulk movie?... With She-Hulk added for extra brownie points?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
NoeL said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, people, but a friend of mine thought this was a great movie because it stuck so closely to the source material. I haven't read the original comic(s) so can anyone confirm/deny that?
I'll deny it. Sure, the Hulk has had plenty of iterations. Originally, he was a grey skinned tough guy. I imagine a sort of Brooklyn accent to him. But no. I don't see the Hulk in this movie.

Nor in Nortons.

Nor in the 1st 1/2 of Avengers. The 2nd half?

In the 2nd half of Avengers, they magically transform the screen Hulk into an actual... wait for it... CHARACTER!!!

It is shockingly boring to watch a green rage machine just bounce around smashing things! In both this and Norton films, they give Hulk virtually no dialogue!

There was a Hulk comic book run in which his mind was gone. It was boring. I want a character like Avenger's 2nd half! Now that might be a character worth watching in an entire movie.

Banana vs. Norton? I like Norton's nod to the TV show. Banana had a better movie. And I'll tell you why. I understood the villain and his desires. And he was interesting. Norton's Abomination? He just seemed to want to run around and smash things. As purposeless as Doc Doom stealing the surfer's board in FF4 part 2. Pointless and squandering a great opportunity.

I can't wait for another Hulk reboot. This time, do it right. He's a character, not a dull force of nature.