Movie Defense Force: Hulk - You Won't Like Me When I'm Ang Lee

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
daxterx2005 said:
I know they say its not in continuity with the Marvel cinematic universe, having never seen it, does it conflict with the movie? COULD it fit if they wanted it to?
I haven't seen HULK since it first came out in 2003, but I don't think there's anything directly contradicting its inclusion if you wanted to. Just pretend the nanomachine research is part of recreating the Super Soldier Serum.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
I couldn't pay attention to that video, the title made me think of the Stewart Lee bit and distracted and smirking the whole way through.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:
The Matrix showed (FOUR years prior!) CGI was now quite advanced
Not really. The Matrix used some CGI to enhance practical effects such as the bullet time, but it was almost never used extensively in scenes with live actors. The reason the full CGI scenes in that movie look all right is because they didn't have to make that many of them, and they rarely have to worry about integration with actual physical objects. Letting them really focus on selling it when they do. But the CGI in that movie in absolutely no way demonstrated that the process of integrating CGI with live action was any better than it ever had been. Especially when your movie is using those effects for a majority of its shots.

Hell, the over reliance on CGI is probably 90% of the reason that I've only seen a handful of movies that use it well in the last 10-15 years. Most CGI these days looks like absolute shit.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
My dad and I enjoyed it when it came out but it isn't quite up to scratch with the new Marvel films so i'm glad they decided to reboot. Banner was a good choice for... well Banner but the sheer WTF that was the main villain, the ending and those poor mutant dogs makes me glad they decided to do over. I think that the Hulk isn't really interesting enough to carry his own film, Banner is, but Hulk is so action orientated that any scene he shows up in goes completely nutter butters.

Trishbot said:
Look, can't we all just agree that Mark Ruffalo deserves his own solo Hulk movie?... With She-Hulk added for extra brownie points?

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I went into this movie with absolutely abysmal expectations. As such, I was pleasantly surprised when it was a functional film. Sure, I found aspects of the film stupid (primarily the "Hulk dogs" and Nick Nolte). Barring those bits, however, I ad no problem with the film at all.

I certainly didn't find it bad enough to warrant a reboot. That's actually what I liked about the Norton version. One COULD take it as a sequel to the Bana version, or one could simply view it as a new entity. The only downside to the Norton version, as I saw it, is that, if ignoring the Bana portrayal, one had to be familiar with backstory beforehand.

Also, I suppose the lack of a compelling baddie hurt the Hulk movies...and everyone was a caricature. Then again, what do you create for the Hulk to fight, outside of something that might take all the Avengers? I think it's doable, but I feel that studios wouldn't be willing to "waste" a god-tier enemy on a single hero's film (even though they did it with Thor 2).

LoneWolf83

Apr 8, 2014
This movie is at best is meh. The Hulk looks bad, the comic panel transitions are just awful and the story was crap.

Of all the live action Hulks, the one that looks bets is from the TV show. The Hulks form the films may be more accurate to the co,ic book design but they look ridiculous. Lou Ferrigno painted green will always look better then some giant CG thing even if they could make photo realistic CG because the giant CG thing, even if it was photo realistic, will look ridiculous.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'd like to see the Leader be the next villain in this thing. We've had the Absorbing Man and Abomination. He seems like a great character to have up next. I'll have to see where he rates on IGN's top villains list. I think he should be up there with Doctor Doom.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
The movie is bad for other reasons. The camera work was just all over the place in a vain attempt at making it look like a comic book that makes it hard to watch. The movie was ok for when no one could do comic book films right at all. My brother and I enjoyed it when it came out, but on later watchings it gets physically hard to watch. Especially when you know what a good comic book movie can look like. I made my brother watch it again because he couldn't believe me that it was actually that bad, and had to agree that it's physically hard to watch because of the hatched job Ang Lee did with the basics. Had he kept to more traditional camera work, and story telling it would be easier to watch. As it is, its just a jumpy joddy mess of a film.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I liked The Incredible Hulk better, but this one, I thought it was okay, sure, daddy issues, mutant dogs, shitty CGI and whatnot, but no one can deny it's funny when you embrace it's ridiculousness, especially at the end.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Hehe... Jimquisitor, nice reference to Stewart Lee.

I never got the hate for that movie either. I liked it, it was very in line with the TV show and its tone.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I tried watching this turd on netflix instant streaming for the first time a few years back. I turned it off after 45 minutes of nothing interesting happening.

Are the action scenes good? I have no idea because this is like a 2.5 hour movie and nothing interesting enough happened in the first 45 minutes for me to keep watching.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The performances, by and large, weren't bad. Nolte's villain was certainly creepy enough.

But the way it bent over backwards to assure that, no, the Hulk wasn't actually going to kill anyone in his unstoppable fits of rage- that just took me out of the movie too much to be borne. The stupid second banana bad guy manages to kill himself with his own grenade just so we'll be spared blood on the Hulk's hands.

I'm not saying the Hulk needs to be decapitating people left and right, or anything, but it takes the necessary element of fear out of having a raging green monster stomping about to make it obvious that this is Nerf Hulk. Not to mention adding a regrettable element of ridiculousness to most of the showier action scenes.

"The tank flies a hundred feet!"

"No, a thousand feet!"

"Over the horizon!"

"YES!... And, everyone inside is perfectly okay."

"...Well, that goes without saying."

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I couldn't get very far into it. Too many comic book style cuts and zooms and montages over scenes where nothing interesting is happening. If they had just let it be boring when it was boring, rather than try to jazz it up every two minutes with whooshing sound effects as we focus on lab equipment, then I probably would have been able to power through to the good parts.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I've never actually watched this one, I caught some part of it twice on TV, got bored and changed the channel, and that's as far as my experience with it went.

Aside from that though, I still remember how cool the trailer was, when Bana's looking at himself in the mirror and the house gets wrecked.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Hey, I liked it. Although, at the time the movie came out I was reading a lot about the Hulk ret-cons involving Bruce's abusive father, repressed memories and mental issues, so it was a good fit.

"Struggle no more and give me all your power."
"You think you can live with it? Take it. TAKE IT ALL!!"