Movie Defense Force: Mortal Kombat

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
This movie was basically a film version of WMAC Masters. Most of the cast of that show is in the movie...and that is awesome. I loved this movie as a child and still do, despite the white washing. But even the white washing isn't a problem because the game's themselves did it. I agree that for the most part (aside from Scorpion's hand vagina spear and Conner Macleod as Raiden), the movie followed the game faithfully, and it worked.

As for best video game movie? No. Resident Evil (the first and only the first...) is better. Silent Hill is better (if you don't play Silent Hill). So what if they didn't faithfully follow the games? Truthfully, the movies would have been worse if they followed the game exactly. Do you really want to see real people combing the house for a key or a cat's eye to a door that they could just break open, or use the Master Of Unlocking's skills? That would be bad.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I'm pretty sure the first couple CDs I bought as a kid were the Mortal Kombat soundtrack and a Mortal Kombat remixes album. I love the films, and the sequels, bad or no. Costumes are great, soundtrack rocks, and the fight scenes are interesting and well choreographed. Who cares about deep acting? They're just beating each other up anyway.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
One of the greatest misconceptions is that a video game story needs to be upgraded. Video game fans probably aren't looking for anything deep and cinema fans will likely shun anything that's based on a game anyway.

I found MK to be quite enjoyable, which likely does come down to the fact that it didn't try and make it into something else.

DVS BSTrD said:
Taking the Marvel/Disney approach: Let's have some bloody fun with this!
I thought it was "Let's cancel every show Zachary Amaranth even remotely gets into."

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
I enjoyed Mortal Kombat. It was fun and held as well to the overarching story while still allowing the main characters there moments to shine (Cage vs Goro is a personal favorite for several reasons).

The sequel on the other hand...

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I've always thought this is the best video game movie to date as well. I have a sense fighting games translate better to film than most, since the plot of almost every fighting game is basically Enter the Dragon [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070034/] except instead of a Bond-style mastermind villain, the bad guys are evil corporations making super soldiers, or evil wizards from another dimension. But MK was better than Street Fighter, DOA, Tekken, or its own sequel at staying fun, action-packed, and faithful to its source material.

JudgeGame said:
I nominate Prince of Persia as the best videogame based movie. I know a lot of people have problems with it but I can't figure out what those problems are.
It's fine, it's just nothing really distinguishes it from any other Arabian Nights pastiche film out there other than the calibre of the actors involved. Maybe that's the fault of the source material, since the only thing that puts the Prince of Persia series above its Arabian Nights aesthetic is its gameplay, and that's hard to convey through a film.

FirebirdXR said:
Sterling forgot one of the greatest things about the MK movie!
Yes! Most of the soundtrack is pretty good, I find. My first exposure to Fear Factory and Sister Machine Gun came from it.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
FirebirdXR said:
Sterling forgot one of the greatest things about the MK movie!

[ youtube=EAwWPadFsOA ]
Couldn't agree more. Why wasn't this mentioned. It is so delightfully energizing and makes you want to kick something, or at least watch someone kick something.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
canadamus_prime said:
DVS BSTrD said:
canadamus_prime said:
I agree completely. Mortal Kombat was the best video game based movie ever. After all, what other video game based movie was more faithful to it's source material? I can't think of one. Although I will disagree with you Jim on Raiden, I thought Christopher Lambert's Raiden was pretty awesome, I only wish he had a larger part to play.
He certainly would have made Annihilation more bearable, but I think Jim had more of a problem with Raiden not being the Raiden from the game.
To which I would argue that although Christopher Lambert couldn't pull off a Japanese accent to save his life, he was still the Japanese Thunder God which was pretty much the Raiden from the game esp. back in 1993/94.
I agree, I thought he got his version of the character down perfectly. Pity lightning didn't strike twice.
Yeah. The guy they got for the second movie indeed looked somewhat asian, but cold NOT pull off badass.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Then be glad you're not a DC fan :p
I think God (and Jim) for that nearly every day.

Then again, I thought most of the Marvel shows sucked to begin with. It's only recently they've put out stuff I actually liked.

Which appears to be the criteria for cancellation.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Mortal Kombat does not need defending. It was always great.

Mortal kombat 2 on the other hand..... can't be defended

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
I've got to bring up Spoony's point on the Dead or Alive movie. It may not be as directly faithful to the 'look' etc of the games, but it's so so loyal to the spirit...it's basically a bunch of women in skimpy outfits doing kung fu fights. And really, with Dead or Alive, isn't that what it was all about?

Still love Mortal Kombat though, agree with its awesomeness.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
If you guys want to see Christopher Lambert in a really fun movie, check out Mean Guns.

Ice-T is a high-ranking gangster for "The Syndicate", who decides that they have a lot of underlings that need to be taken out. Rather than call in hits on all of them, they lock them inside a prison, and give them guns, baseball bats, and ammo. The last three surviving win ten million dollars.

Also, Ice-T pumps mambo music through the prison's intercom, providing the movie's soundtrack.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
JudgeGame said:
That said, it's infinitely better than that atrocious concept trailer of gritty Mortal Kombat which I hope died in production hell.
You mean the concept trailer that became this?

And they recently released a trailer for the second season.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Its certainly the best adaptation of a video-game into a film ever. Much like the game, the film gives absolutely zero fucks about anything and just does its own thing. Also when I was about nine years old I thought that the Jonny Cage ball punch was one of the funniest things I had ever seen....

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
This may be the best film entered into the series so far, though I'm not sure how loathed is this particular title. The second one was far more maligned, and with good reason, and at the time this came out, it WAS the best video game adaptation. These days I might argue for Prince of Persia, but all told, the video game-turned-movie that we all wanted to see was realized in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, despite not being about any particular video game.

What helps this movie was that it was directed by Paul Anderson, he of Resident Evil and AvP notoriety, and more importantly, it was produced by True Lies producer Larry Kasanoff. Put these two together and you have fidelity to source material and having fun with an obviously cheesy premise.

Because that's one of the reasons why we're supposed to go to movies. To have fun. It's easy to get carried away snobbing about movies like American Beauty or Life of Pi and forget to just go have fun. And Mortal Kombat is fun.

The casting choice I disapproved of was not Lambert's Raiden, but Bridgette Wilson as Sonya. Totally not buying her in the role, while meanwhile you have Kerri Hoskins, who aside from being a Playboy model who happens to know martial arts, did the actual mo-cap for Sonya in several of the game. How do you hire Bridgette Freaking Wilson over her?

Side Note: am I the only one who bought and totally loved the Immortals MK-themed album, of which the done-to-death theme song is only one track?

anthony87 said:
And they recently released a trailer for the second season.[5l3jrR5XMSU]
Hoooooooly snotballs they brought back Carey Tikahuagachawa-chiwhatevernuts as Shang Tsung. I totally have to watch this now!

sindremaster

Apr 6, 2010
Urh said:
Seriously? I confess it's been a while, but the only thing I remember being remotely entertaining about Street Fighter was Raul Julia's performance as Bison. While Mortal Kombat had one truly bad casting choice (Christopher Lambert), Street Fighter had only one good one. I don't know how anybody could defend casting Jean-Claude van Damme as Guile.
I'll let Jim explain it to you.
http://www.destructoid.com/why-street-fighter-the-movie-is-a-cinematic-masterpiece-129024.phtml

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
So glad to hear someone other than me say that for once

Mortal Kombat wasn't a great achievement in film making, but it was exactly what I wanted as a fan of the game & as a guy watching a martial arts movie

Too many game-based movies try to add/remove themes & elements of the source material to... I dunno, get wider appeal maybe, misguided as that plan is... but Mortal Kombat was Mortal Kombat. Don't question why the ice ninja can freeze people solid; he can, it's happening, now kick him in the face!

This particular grievance came to boil with the Max Payne movie. The game was a neo-noir style story. That could not possibly be easier to turn into a movie! It would've actually been a damn good movie if they had just strung the cut scenes together & used that as the script.