Movie Defense Force: Mortal Kombat

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Megacherv said:
Vausch said:
Megacherv said:
I have to argue one point, the best video game movie ever is Postal
Is it possible there's actually an Uwe Boll movie that isn't total shite on a cracker, or are the two positives I've heard so far for Postal just a minority?
Seriously, all his films have been ridiculous and stupid, so this time he tried doing it on purpose, and it is fucking fantastic. Because the world is already insane and you're expecting everything to be stupid, and bizarre out of nowhere plot-twists seem perfectly rational, nothing is offensive, and you just keep laughing at everything (even Uwe Boll's appearance is brilliant)
And I am seeing Zack Ward is the main character... I love Zack Ward. I might have to actually see this.

Daniel Janhagen

Mar 28, 2011
I was going to go all "This doesn't need defending! People like it, don't they?", but seems like pretty much everyone beat me to it.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Jim, I have to disagree about your claim that Mortal Kombat was the best videogame adaptation. I think the best video game adaptation was Final Fantasy:The Spirits Within.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I have fond memories of this movie, and EVERYONE I know loved it. Too bad MK II was sorta... way TOO lame (I mean, that Baraka was simply... urgh...)

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
I remember watching and loving this movie then watching it when I was a little older and thinking what the hell is this! But it is still a very good B movie and MK2 was also quite entertaining.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Azex said:
The street fighter movie was better than the legend of chun lee at least, but i dont think its as faithful as MK movie. Its really WTF in alot of places. I hear the DOA movie is actually not that bad of a fighting movie, dont know anything about the games story tho.
I agree, michael clarke duncan was the saving grace of legend of, but Raul Juuuuuulia as M. bison is a real showstopper. The unlimited hamminess he really delves into and relishes in is just unbeatable.

I really liked both of these movies when i was about eleven, but today, the MK movie stands on it's own merits (the song and jsut being fun, and i still like seeing sub-zero)and the street fighter movie stands perilously on pretty much ONLY Raul julia.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Nurb said:
WUT? I was under the impression the original mortal kombat movie didn't need defending!

Also, some of the metal used in the soundtrack still holds up today! I would link some examples but some company had to be an asshole about copyright claims and they're wiped out.
This was my opinion too. Until somebody pointed out that maybe it just got around average reviews and made a good amount of cash, but wasn't necessarily a GOOD movie. Da funk? It's mortal kombat the movie, it's fun to see and a decent nineties martial arts flick, i really wasn't expecting an artistic reimagination where johnny cage fights the oppresive realities of fame while sonia fights off a cocaine addiction against her angry, mutated pimp goro, who employs two masked hunchbacks throwing buckets of fire and nitrogene against a rival gang.

PROTIP: ends with evrybody killing themselves after being dissillusioned with the cruelties of society,

Nepenthe87

Apr 28, 2011
I never thought MK needed a defense. I was always under the impression that the general consensus was that MK is the only good video game movie ever made.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Why do people who talk about the hierarchy of video game movies always forget that the Phoenix Wright movie and the Professor Layton movie exist? The Layton movie had numbered puzzles, a seen where Layton escapes a pack of wolves by turning a chainsaw into a helicopter and ended with a stick vs. sword fight on top of a giant robot death machine that was also a musical instrument. What the fuck more more do you want?

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
I would like to add my voice to the growing call for Street Fighter. I watched that one some time after watching the Nostalgia Critic's review of it, and loved every stupid, stupid minute. Raul Julia is clearly having the time of his life, and several characters seem to know how dumb the movie is (Bison's henchman Dee Jay is quite clear on how ridiculous the situation is).

Also, on the subject of Christopher Lambert, why are nerds outraged about the prospect of a Highlander remake? If any movie needed a good remake, Highlander is it - a good solid premise, a decent first film, and a catastrophic series of sequels.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I can't believe how you didn't mention this movie basically /is/ Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon, with some MK characters added.
Which is precisely why it is so good, EtD is a near-perfect Martial Arts film so MK ripped off from the best.

Mooshi-Q

Sep 3, 2010
I guess I'm the only one with a contrasting opinion. Mortal Kombat was awful on pretty much every level. The movie came out when I was eleven (didn't really have remarkably high standards at that age) and I knew it was garbage then. We're talking about a game series that became popular for two reasons:

1. The gore

2. The character designs

I suppose you could also mention the game's semi-realistic graphics due to its live action capture method but I don't believe that was the first game to have done that so I'm gonna ignore that aspect.

Anyway, the gore was non-existent. The studio pulled a normal Hollywood cop out and lowered the rating to PG-13 removing anything edgy. "Fuck the source material. We want money." That's pretty much in-excusable and should end the argument right there. The games were mainly popular because of the blood soaked violence and the movies had basically none of it.

I might have been able to look past that glaring, slap-in-the-face fact if the movie had actually looked good. Which it did not. It looked horrible. *Everything* looked horrible. I'd say that Lui Kang was the only agreeable thing ascetically. Even Johnny Cage was awful. How hard is it to find a really arrogant looking white guy?! I remember being particularly disappointed because I knew that it was possible for the characters/scenery to be done proper through live action. I knew this because of the commercial for MKII which played on television a year prior to the film. Take a look:

Explain to me why a tv ad looks better than a major movie release. Anyone? It's a shame they didn't hire that commercial's director instead. Maybe then we would have gotten something that at the very least *looked* good.

I suppose if you like utterly mediocre martial art stunts, terrible acting and lackluster costumes then Mortal Kombat is a pretty good movie. <_<

...and the best video game movie to date is Silent Hill. And even that's not a very good movie.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Some good points. I have always said this is one of the better videogame movies (plus the soundtrack is awesome to work out to).
Any plans to do Resident Evil or Silent Hill?

Hans Maulwurf

Oct 23, 2012
I'm confused. WHO ever said that MortalKombat is a bad movie? In my circle of friends i never heard someone say a bad thing about it. Come to think of it, I never heard someone say something bad about it ever, anywhere.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I'm surprised you didn't touch on the set design. Mortal Kombat had some of the best designed sets of the year, and in my opinion should have won an Oscar for them. That it wasn't even nominated is, I think, an enormous snub.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'll always love the first Mortal Kombat movie
(No way these should be necessary, but people like to complain) When Liu Kang killed Sub Zero, some guy in the front row stood up and yelled "FUCK THAT! SUB ZERO CAN'T DIE!" and he and his friend stormed out of the movie.

And maybe it's just because I grew up in the days when Mortal Kombat was considered THE coolest game ever, the movie was consequently one of the coolest movies I had ever seen.

Granted, watching it now in comparison to modern martial arts movies it looks laughably choreographed and slow, but at it's time it was frickin' awesome.