Movie Defense Force: Mortal Kombat

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
i thought it was only the second movie, annihilation was hated... well i certainly enjoyed the first one and loathed the second movie

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Shocked he had to defend the original movie! I love and still own that one, whereas Annihilation is not allowed in my house in any form. Someone mentioned him doing Street Fighter next. Yeah, good luck defending that POS!

BlueJoneleth

Feb 8, 2011
I love this movie.
Sequel is garbage but it's so bad it's good. XD

Though recently there was the Professor Layton & Phoenix Wright movie which were pretty good in my opinion.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, I liked the first Mortal Kombat movie - it's just fun to watch.

However, for pretty much the same reasons, I would have to say that DOA is the best video game movie ever made. That was a movie which knew exactly what it needed to be.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Christopher Lambert. He makes that movie fun, he just plays himself regardless of what film he's in, kind of like Jeff Bridges. :p

JudgeGame said:
I dunno. I liked Mortal Kombat 2 more. The end fight was excruciatingly boring and mispaced for me which is all I remember from the whole thing. That said, it's infinitely better than that atrocious concept trailer of gritty Mortal Kombat which I hope died in production hell.

I nominate Prince of Persia as the best videogame based movie. I know a lot of people have problems with it but I can't figure out what those problems are.
The end fight scene was too short if anything in MK1 although I always thought it was cool how Shang Tsung summons the dead warriors from the portals around the room. That was a nice touch anyway.

I do have to agree on MK2. It was so ridiculous and over the top that it was entertaining (I thought the jade fight scene actually looked pretty cool, the opening sequence/transition of it anyway).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so i take it you didnt like silent hill movie? thats too bad, time for a movie defence battle? or is that too MK for you?

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Thank you Jim!
Watching this movie at the theaters for the first time is forever in my memories as the start to one of the coolest nights I had with some good friends.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
I absolutely LOVE Mortal Kombat the Movie for...PRETTY much all the reasons Jim said here: it's a videogame movie that isn't ashamed of its roots. And at its core: it's a competent supernatural kung-fu movie. What the hell ELSE would it need to be?

Jan 1, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
canadamus_prime said:
I agree completely. Mortal Kombat was the best video game based movie ever. After all, what other video game based movie was more faithful to it's source material? I can't think of one. Although I will disagree with you Jim on Raiden, I thought Christopher Lambert's Raiden was pretty awesome, I only wish he had a larger part to play.
He certainly would have made Annihilation more bearable, but I think Jim had more of a problem with Raiden not being the Raiden from the game.
I think he has a problem with the actor himself. He said "Christopher Lambert is utter garbage as Raiden because he is Christopher Lambert". Or some such. Not a Highlander fan, it's safe to assume. Lambert is a good actor in my opinion. His performance for White Material in 2009 was praised for example and in that movie he was playing a completely different character from what Highlander, Beowulf and Mortal Kombat gave us.

I find it strange that Jim Sterling doesn't comment on the one aspect in which the movie differs from the game and everyone gives it shit for: the lack of gore. Good riddance in my eyes. But what about you, Jim?

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
The movie was great just because of the Mortal Combat song. That sonG got me so jazzed when I listened to it.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
This movie was fucking glorious. Easily the best video game movie ever. I actually like the 2nd movie as well, though my recollection of that movie is considerably less clear.