Movie Defense Force: Santa Claus

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I have never heard of this movie. And I love MST3K, which makes me wonder how I missed it socompletely.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, someone needs to write a story where Santa actually IS a sociopathic madman who spies on everyone in the world. Just like someone needs to write a modern comic where Superman was the psychopath he was in the 30s.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20069_5-classic-superman-comics-that-prove-he-used-to-be-dick.html

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
interestingly enough this isnt the first time I'd heard of this movie. James Rolfe reviewed this one a few years back.

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
I'm mildly curious about seeing this film. Perhaps it would be a good double-feature with Santa Claus versus the Martians?

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
So... this is meant to be insincere praise for the "moral" lessons of the movie at the very least... and yet this isn't an april fools episode... so what was even the point of disingenuously lauding this one then?

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
This episode feels mean spirited. I understand the parody but I don't think it suits with the intent of the show. Usually this show legitimately reframes "bad" movies in such a way that their misgivings are actually benefits, but this episode instead provides a new angle from which to mock this obscure film - which, for posterity, I have not seen.
I think this would have been better suited to a Shlocktober style episode from Movie Bob as opposed to Movie Defence Force. That being said, it's not as if this episode wasn't funny, it was, but the overall impression was actually quite nasty.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I...
Just...
Um...
What...
Brains...
Why...
My honest reaction to this episode.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Weaver said:
I really suggest everyone check out the MST3K of this movie.
It's probably one of my favourites!
I second this suggestion. Were it not for MST3K, I wouldn't have even known this movie existed. When I saw the thumbnail for this week's Movie Defense Force featuring Santa and a devil, I immediately knew which movie he was doing.

But yeah, check out the MST3K of this thing, as Weaver said it's one of the best.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
What? I wasn't aware that this movie needed defending... oh wait... have to switch that up today?

Umm... i've got nothing.

Damn, i can only find "Santa Claus conquers the Martians" from 1964 as a MST3k episode... hm hm.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Oskuro said:
I wonder if Mr.Sterling would accept the suggestion of reviewing the movie Space Truckers... A movie much maligned for the sin of being.... well, Space Truckers.

A movie I like, by the way. This isn't a "let's throw something awful at Jim and see him squirm" kind of suggestion. But more of a "Let's see if the positives (if any) he finds match mine" thing.
I'll second this one, Dennis Hopper chews the hell out of the scenery in that one. And who can forget cyborg Tywin Lannister's pullcord activated power penis? Exactly. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go watch the shit out of that movie right now, thanks.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
PatrickXD said:
This episode feels mean spirited. I understand the parody but I don't think it suits with the intent of the show. Usually this show legitimately reframes "bad" movies in such a way that their misgivings are actually benefits, but this episode instead provides a new angle from which to mock this obscure film - which, for posterity, I have not seen.
I think this would have been better suited to a Shlocktober style episode from Movie Bob as opposed to Movie Defence Force. That being said, it's not as if this episode wasn't funny, it was, but the overall impression was actually quite nasty.
Hello Mr Grinch, the hospital just called; they say you have a terminal case of No-Sense-Of-Humour syndrome.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Oskuro said:
I wonder if Mr.Sterling would accept the suggestion of reviewing the movie Space Truckers... A movie much maligned for the sin of being.... well, Space Truckers.

A movie I like, by the way. This isn't a "let's throw something awful at Jim and see him squirm" kind of suggestion. But more of a "Let's see if the positives (if any) he finds match mine" thing.
That movie has Dennis Hopper in it and it thus unimpeachable.

If Jim is going to defend weird obscure old bullshit he should totally do Ice Pirates.

But then Ice pirates has Ron Pearlman in it. And is thus umimpeachable.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Wow this looks stupid AND AMAZING, totally going to check out the mystery science theater episode where they riff this movie.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
King Whurdler said:
leviadragon99 said:
So... this is meant to be insincere praise for the "moral" lessons of the movie at the very least... and yet this isn't an april fools episode... so what was even the point of disingenuously lauding this one then?
Because sometimes people like to tell jokes. Shocking, I know.
and yet this show normally has a point in showing critic/audience disliked movies in a new light, something this departure seems to rather pointlessly avoid. Generally when you build a show around a gimmick and then make an abrupt departure from it, there's some greater purpose to be had, either it being the opposite day that April Fools has become, or provoking some level of thought, the critique of the sense of morality this movie tries to put forward would have worked well on its own in a different show, but here just feels distinctly out of place.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
Seracen said:
WTH did I just watch....is it still Schlocktober?

Ah Jim...continue to be insane, it is ceaselessly amusing!
You think this is weird try _Santa Claus conquers the Martians_.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
tangoprime said:
Oskuro said:

I'll second this one, Dennis Hopper chews the hell out of the scenery in that one. And who can forget cyborg Tywin Lannister's pullcord activated power penis? Exactly. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go watch the shit out of that movie right now, thanks.
I kept mixing that movie up with The Fifth Element for some reason.
Mainly the part that Gary Oldman played.
So... Gary Oldman and Charles Dance merged into some weird, camp, futuristic, pullcord activated penis monstrosity.
Not the worst image to have in your mind, but I can imagine nicer things.