Movie Defense Force: Street Fighter

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Street Fighter

This week's Movie Defense Force stands before you and takes on Street Fighter ... LIKE LIGHTNIIIIIIIING!

Watch Video

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I disliked Street Figher. I loved SFII at the time when I watched the movie in the cinema when it was first released. I was appalled at how it was nothing like the game.
I never even really disliked Van Damme, but I still hate(d) the movie.

I never found the fun in it either. Which I guess is my loss.

Also, I've noticed that liking Raul Julia in this movie is another of those internet memes.
If someone were to voice an opinion saying they didn't and this message board had down-vote capabilities, they'd get downvoted into oblivion. Just a thing I noticed.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Brainless fun back when it was made. Brainless fun 10 years ago. Brainless fun now. Raul Julia was such a great actor. Shame that this and Adams family were the only things that I could remember him for. As for Jean Claude Van Damme, enough said.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It saddened me that it was Raul Julia's last movie. It seemed like he was at a point in his career where he felt he had made the case for being a great thespian and, having proved that point, could now take roles like M. Bison or Gomez Adams just to have fun.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well this allows me to pull out a particular video, if you were ever unsure about watching this film.

Also, for film nerds, the dude with the eyepatch played Magua in Last of the Mohicans.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I was wondering when you were going to get around to Street Fighter, Jim. And I'm glad you did. Every time I find Street Fighter playing on TV, I can't help but tune in. Despite all of its flaws, it has some weird charm that draws me in like a moth to a flame. Part of that is due to Raul Julia's performance. It's a shame he left us too soon but he definitely put his all into this movie and I've got to applaud him for making chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Plus he gave us a mountain of Internet memes and quotes that will endure as long as there is an Internet.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Isn't this series supposed to be about bad movies? *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Well this allows me to pull out a particular video, if you were ever unsure about watching this film.

Also, for film nerds, the dude with the eyepatch played Magua in Last of the Mohicans.
He was also the Na'vi King in Avatar as well. I also believe he was in Dances With Wolves. Basically, he's a Native American in almost every movie where a Native American role is needed, yet he plays Sagat so well, it's scary.

OT: I LOVE Street Fighter. For Jim (if you read this), the Podtoid movie commentary of this film is what got me into Destructoid, which has to be a nice feather in the old crew's caps, and I had a point where I listened to it with regularity, regardless of the movie being on or not.

I've done a review of this movie and defended it for the same reasons you did. It's a silly movie, but compared to Double Dragon, or most video game movies, it's actually quite fun. When I was a little kid (I was five when it came out), I didn't like it that much, but M. Bison, even as a youth, was my favorite part of the movie (His 'Like Lightning!' scene is amazing. Very few actors now could replicate that kind of emotion as sincerely as Raul Julia did).

Nostalgia be damned, it's an great movie. I own it on VHS, and I'm half tempted to put it on and watch it now. Great MDF episode.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Super Mario Bros. is going to show up on this show, isn't it? I mean, he seems to be doing all the dumb video game movies, so why not?

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
I saw this movie only recently, but I unironically enjoyed it very much.

It certainly is not the worst movie to star Raul Julia (that would be Overdrawn At the Memory Bank [http://www.club-mst3k.com/822-overdrawn-at-the-memory-bank])

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
This is a very clever analysis of Street Fighter, Jim. That Tuesday line got me thinking it inspired a lot of similar lines, and Raul Julia could always be relied upon to eat up the scenery. That fact he took this role for his kids makes him one of the best dads EVER.

captcha: one hit wonder
I suppose that doesn't describe anyone from this movie, does it?

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
This IS one of the worst movies ever made. What stops it from being THE worst is another SF movie with that girl from Smallvile...

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
Watched this one last week and really liked it.

One thing I kept wondering about though was where Fei Long was, and after reading up a bit on the movie I saw that he had been turned into another character (Capt. Sawada). I thought about it for a while and decided that it was probably for the better, because otherwise they would have risked having a Bruce Lee clone in a movie that already had two big personalities (van Damme and Juliá).