Movie Defense Force: Super Mario Bros.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
I saw this movie years before I learnt that Mario is actually a game character and those Mario games are actually nothing like the movie. I loved and still love the movie - goombas especially, but Big Bertha and other moments too numerous to list. And for me Mario Brothers and world from this movie is THE Mario Brothers and the proper world ("Who is that 'Peach' person?" was my first reaction when I saw first my Mario game "And why she isn't kicking ass as the real princess should?").
Faithfulness of adaptation was never a problem for me because I like characters from the movie much more than characters from games. And I thought the movie by itself was very good. And I still do think the movie was very good.

CyborgGinger

Apr 1, 2011
The Goombas - aside from the fact I loved this film as a kid (it's just so, so absurd and I loved it for that) - they totally make the film. They are so absolutely weird and terrifying with the tiny heads and creepy toothy mouths as to be completely unforgettable.

Oh, and Dennis Hopper. I'm sure he plays exactly the same bad guy in every film and I lap it up anyway.

CAPTCHA: you win

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I have a soft spot in my heart for this movie, myself. Yeah, it's bad, but child me didn't know that, and while it didn't feel much like mario, it had mario's name on the cover, and I was all over it.

That said, I don't think I'd have the heart to recommend it to children. When I went to the theater for the premiere of "The Lego Movie", I overheard some of the kids in the row behind me talking about how much it sucks that there had never been a Mario movie. Once I recovered from the "Jesus Christ I'm an old man..." feelings that such a statement evoked in me, I realized that it would probably be kinder to let them continue to be disappointed that no such movie existed, rather than inform them about this one. ^^

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
Sorry there's no force on the planet that can defend this film Jim...not even you. It's not a good movie on it's own merits. It's not a good translation of the source material , as has nothing do with the games. I get there's not a lot of meat to Mario bros story, but this was crazy bad stuff loosely ripped from the dino world of Super Mario world. It fails all around.

So many aspects of this story were just incomprehensible.Game Informer did a huge article bringing up all the dirt on it. All back story of the film was an epic train wreck, and more interesting than the movie itself was. It had daily rewrites, and so many issues.

People might enjoy the movie...but there's nothing truly good about it. Bob Hopkins said the biggest regret in his life was this movie. Actors usually try to defense their work or claim they did the best with what they had...there's nothing to defend here.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
I've always like the Mario Bros movie. I can understand why people hate it, but I just don't buy into that myself.
And Jim isn't the only one. Some guys have actually started a fan comic for the movie.
http://smbthecomic.com/
No seriously, this is something that's happening. How many GOOD movies have that dedicated a fanbase? I thought not.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah I only saw this movie once, but I don't recall it being all that bad. It was ridiculous to be sure and not at all faithful to the source material, but it wasn't bad.

Really Offensive Name said:
How on earth do you translate a 2d side-scroller into a full length feature film? It's amazing what they managed to come up with and the nods to the game they managed, showed that they actually played it.
2 animated series were made out of it so I imagine they could've done a better job than this.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
If memory serves, there was some producing problems as well, and it got so bad that the drama leaked onto the set. It was a bloody miracle that they even finished the movie really considering all the shit that happened before, during, and after the filming.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...s-biggest-gaming-blunder.aspx?PostPageIndex=3

This is a Game Informer article that you might have read. I read it too, and it was very entertaining to read. I believe when I wrote something on the film, either a review from Marter or the 20 Anniversary Post a year or two ago (some something like that), I wrote that I would give anything to read a book about this movie's production more than the movie, but I do like it.

OT: It's a terrible film, but I do enjoy it. Compared to Double Dragon, it's high art. I loved Super Mario Bros, and I consider it a guilty pleasure, but an enjoyable one, and I don't agree with all of Jim's Points, but we can both agree that the movie was worth defending, and I love it... kind of.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I always wanted that cliffhanger to lead into a second movie where Bob played both Mario and the villain could have been Bobplaying Wario :D

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
I love the hell out of the Mario Bros. movie, and found it on DVD when I worked in a movie store once, and apparently that made m day, because it stuck with one of the keyholders all the way until close that night that I was just so damn giddy about finding a copy.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I like being the minority with this and Silent Hill.

I loooooved this film, even as a kid I understood how fucking different it was, but I kinda liked it for it's bizarreness, especially after watching a shitton of 80's sci-fi films.

Also, this:

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I am not afraid to say that I also love this film. Super Mario 64 is my favourite platformer of all time but that did not stop me from loving this film.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I will give you partial points for this review, Jim. If you're able to ignore the total desecration of the Super Mario Bros cannon and get yourself into the right chemically enhanced state of mind, you could enjoy this one.

Having said that, Super Mario Bros truly deserves a much better movie adaptation than what it got in the 90s. With movies like The Avengers and The Lego Movie, there is no fucking excuse for inferior film making in terms of popular properties. There are talented and dedicated people who would give vital parts of their anatomy to make a faithful version of Super Mario Bros a reality. We're tired of the soulless cash grabs being made by people who are just there for a paycheck. That is a practice that needs to die like yesterday.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I loved this film and i'm a man who dares call him self a film snob... I know its terrible on so many levels but damn me it has some weird crap in it and by god it makes me laugh.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Watching this in theaters, as a child in the 90's, I thought this movie was pretty fantastic. However, I feel like if I watched this for the first time today I would just be making weird faces at the screen and repeatedly shouting, "What the fuck?!" This and the Double Dragon movie are great movies in my eyes, because I saw them when I was too young to really have much of a critical eye and now I'm blinded by nostalgia goggles. I will say, however, that the justification for why the Mario brothers can jump so high is kind of brilliantly stupid

Veerdin

Jan 29, 2014
I saw this when I was a kid and loved the shit out of it. So did my friends at the time, we watched it together on a sleepover.

Years later, I can still appreciate it for what it is. I'm glad you defended it, Jim. It's a fun movie and it's probably an accurate depiction of how "Mario" would have turned out if he'd been made by an American company in the late 90s.

And personally, I loved the little raptor Yoshie almost as much as big-nosed-long-tongue-yoshie.

Guess I'm just weird then.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I'll never understand people's hate for this movie, I love it through and through, I love every minute of it, it's one of my all-time favourite movies

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Wait, you defend this tripe.

A movie that would be considered bad, or at least lifetime's made-for-tv levels of meritocracy, regardless if it was based off an established IP or not...

But you bash the new EDF game?

I'm so confused.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sorry, this one was just plain bad. i watched it as a kid and i was just wondering why it was so wrong to the game. the only thing i agree with was the dancing scene in the elevator. this was really funny and even till now, it remains in my head.