Movie Defense Force: The Mothman Prophecies - Surprisingly and Subtly Creepy

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Product Placement said:
This movie needs defending? I thought it was great.
My thoughts exactly. I've only seen it a couple of times, but it has really stuck with me. If I'm driving down an isolated wooded road at night, this movie will invariably cross my mind and then I will get scared Hehe.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Stryc9 said:
Maybe the only thing holding this film back was the lack of Willem Dafoe, Brendan Fraser, Danny DeVito and Edward James Olmos.
All of them? In the same movie?! Are you referring to some movie they were in I never heard of?

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Stryc9 said:
Maybe the only thing holding this film back was the lack of Willem Dafoe, Brendan Fraser, Danny DeVito and Edward James Olmos.
All of them? In the same movie?! Are you referring to some movie they were in I never heard of?
I'm making a reference to Jim's podcast where he semi-regularly comes up with movie ideas for Willem Dafoe that often also involve Debra Messing, Brendan Fraser and Danny DeVito. Since he left Destructoid and started his own podcast he's also been doing Edward James Olmos ideas too.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
I thought that was a very boring movie. Yes its got 'some' of the elements of a good horror movie. Its got the subtlety, its got a few well placed scares, its got a good premise for a movie that also has the advantage of being based on a true story, but it commits the cardinal sin. Theres no pay off, theres no good guys getting dead or bad guy getting dead. Theres no big reveal or twist. Its just a man walking around being confused.

Its that kind of anti-climactic bullcheese that doesn't really belong in a thriller which is what the movie was being passed off as by the video stores. So thats why it gets polarized, expectations of both horror and thriller movies makes one ill equipped to face this kind of movie. Even if you are in the right frame of mind, I personally don't find it all that scary and if its not scary than its boring because it has nothing else to contribute.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Product Placement said:
This movie needs defending? I thought it was great.
I thought it was great as well. I usually recommend this movie to people who claim to want a "scary" movie slightly beyond the typical Hollywood blockbuster. That, or older women who love Richard Gere and want to see more of his movies.

Also, Jim, a review of The Relic (1997) would be greatly appreciated.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Mothman prophecies was one of my gateway horror movies. It's absolutely fucking brilliant. Every 'creeping' horror film fan ABSOLUTELY needs to see the film.

But is IS super slow paced and whatnot, so take that as you will.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I watched this with a buddy late one night shortly after it came out on video and it creeped the hell out of us. We had heard the mixed reviews but we both like this type of stuff so we gave it a shot. We certainly we not disappointed. It kept us guessing pretty much right up till the end. We loved it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Cool. I just added it to my Netflix streaming queue! I'm looking forward to watching it tonight.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Hate this damned movie. Mothman and Indrid Cold are some of the very best pieces of true American legend and the movie missed all opportunity to do them justice. If people who saw the film and thought it was creepy want to be really creeped out, actually go out and look at what the movie was based on. If you've any imagination at all, the actual tale about the Mothman event, the Men in Black and Idrid Cold is far creepier than this slog was.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
I saw this movie in the cinema when it was first released - I didn't really want to but someone gave me a free ticket. I'm glad they did because, even though horror films really aren't my thing, I was held rapt throughout. Rather than rely on blood, guts and gore, The Mothman Prophecy is much more subtle and the suspense, boiled slowly, kept me guessing right up to the finale.

I'd recommend this one to anybody!

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
One of my favourite films. One of the only that I've watched that had me literally jump out of my seat at a certain point, which I shall not spoil for any who have yet to see this masterpiece of suspense. 5 star film.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
silent hill may have borrowed from the book, but certainly not the movie.. seeing as Silent hill 2 (this one with the wifey stuffs) came out a year before this yawnfest.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I have to disagree about this one. I saw it for the first time a few months ago and found it a poorly paced, pretentious load of boring twaddle.

I also discovered later that a lot of the events depicted were completely made up for the movie, and not just the ones you'd expect. John Keel never had a wife, much less did he lose one to a Mothman related accident. He was just a professional UFO hunting writer. To give you an idea, he's the guy who popularized the term "Men in Black" back in the 1960s. Of course a professional UFO hunter is gonna swear up and down weird things have happened to him, either to sell his books, or just because he was crazy to begin with.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
OK movie on streaming. Appears the writer/director never saw Ghost Ship:

regarding the big finale at the bridge.

Ronin1325

Mar 11, 2012
I would also agree this movie is extremely creepy & well-made, even if it has only passing resemblance to the book on which it was based. I will however, take a bit of an issue with the comment you made about taking the events that happen to John Klein as either real or grief-induced hallucinations. Perhaps it was both, but no amount of grief will allow one to drive 800 miles(pretty sure that's the number given in the film) in a few hours. Also, when he takes the recording of Indrid Cold's voice to a sound analyst, the man says the voice wasn't created by human vocal cords. I suppose one could say someone was mucking with John's head & made a computer-generated voice, but there's no evidence in the film for that. In any case, Klein's 2ish hr 800 mile drive was a clear indication something truly odd was going on.