Movie Defense Force: The Perfect Host

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
The first film you have defended that i have honestly never heard of.
Seriously, how did this so severely fly under the radar? It came out in 2010, which was back when I still checked theater releases every week and I'd never heard of it either.

Wait, mystery solved. According to imdb, it was only released in America. Will go a-hunting for this one. Thanks, Jim.

OZAuCkn7J28sHLCv

Mar 27, 2012
As above have said, never heard of it until now. shall have to watch it.

Rentable on Google Play, if you were wondering.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I remember being excited to see this film. The insane fop is one of my favorite kind of movie madmen; eccentric, charming, and just slightly effeminate yet capable of sudden sadistic violence against those who don't play along. It almost feels cathartic--you cheer for the man who's enjoying himself and having a good time and despite yourself you want to play along, though the desire becomes less and less about having fun yourself and become more about appeasing the madman to escape his increasing wrath against those who don't enable his fantasy.

But this movie came and went so fast it made my head spin. It didn't even show up in the local theaters and vanished from the media hype machine faster than it took to film the thing. I never saw it until some time later but I have to say for my part, I enjoyed it. I think Pierce's character living in a fantasy world was a little too campy, and would have preferred a dinner party of guests who at first buy into Pierce's oddities but they and you slowly come to realize that his character has always been on the edge of sanity and the opportunity to have a real victim to play with has suddenly propelled him firmly into the crazy seat, but I suppose that would give John some unlikely allies or extra tormentors and turned this into a slasher flick.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Hmmm. Looks right up my street. I feel guilty for never hearing of this movie but then I have a feeling it never left the US. Shame.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
I think Pierce's character living in a fantasy world was a little too campy, and would have preferred a dinner party of guests who at first buy into Pierce's oddities but they and you slowly come to realize that his character has always been on the edge of sanity and the opportunity to have a real victim to play with has suddenly propelled him firmly into the crazy seat, but I suppose that would give John some unlikely allies or extra tormentors and turned this into a slasher flick.
I did get to see it when it came out and I loved the direction it went given that angle would've been too predictable. We've seen that done before even if it isn't all that often, but this, well, spoilers. Just in case.

The fact that Warwick isn't actually all that dangerous is quite unique and interesting. I was completely caught off-guard by the fact that John was just let go at the end of the night despite the fact that it could come back and bite Warwick in the ass later. It was the first time I saw a movie about the psychos who are clearly mentally unhinged but aren't actual killers, even if just pretending to be.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
I've seen it on Netflix before and I genuinely liked it. It's a bad Netflix movie, but it's got a sense of cleverness and Hyde Pierce just completely rocks his role. Some movies are saved by having the right actor and this is one of those. I would recommend it to anyone who has Netflix and some time to kill.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Orekoya said:
SnakeoilSage said:
I think Pierce's character living in a fantasy world was a little too campy, and would have preferred a dinner party of guests who at first buy into Pierce's oddities but they and you slowly come to realize that his character has always been on the edge of sanity and the opportunity to have a real victim to play with has suddenly propelled him firmly into the crazy seat, but I suppose that would give John some unlikely allies or extra tormentors and turned this into a slasher flick.
I did get to see it when it came out and I loved the direction it went given that angle would've been too predictable. We've seen that done before even if it isn't all that often, but this, well, spoilers. Just in case.

The fact that Warwick isn't actually all that dangerous is quite unique and interesting. I was completely caught off-guard by the fact that John was just let go at the end of the night despite the fact that it could come back and bite Warwick in the ass later. It was the first time I saw a movie about the psychos who are clearly mentally unhinged but aren't actual killers, even if just pretending to be.
This movie is one of the reasons I love Netflix (and used to love HBO type channels): a chance to see something I likely wouldn't go to the theater for, but is a buried treasure that shouldn't be missed nonetheless.

Fantastic flick. STILL FLIPPIN AVAILABLE ON NETFLIX STREAMING! Now, all you couch potatoes, you must watch!!!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A little surprised I've never even heard of this movie.

So it looks like... David Hyde Pierce... has a lot of imaginary friends...?

Maybe if I get a moment, I'll give it a look on Netflix.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
What's this? A movie I've not heard of!? I'm not incredibly intrigued. I'm also glad to know I'm not the only person the finds DHP not having a huge career after Frasier a little baffling. I'll have to try and hunt this down on Netflix.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Is it still considered a Move Defense Force when the entire contingent of persons familiar with the film (detractors included) amounts to a total of seven, of which Jim counts for four?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
WHAT!?, how come I never heard of this little gem before?, I need to watch this soon.

Thanks Jim!.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Thank you for presenting this, Jim! I haven't seen this movie yet but I absolutely must now.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
The Perfect Host

BEST. PARTY. EVER.

Watch Video
This seems less like a "Movie Defense Force" than an episode of "Movies You Probably Haven't Heard Of." I wasn't aware this movie was under attack... or of its existence.

Which raises an interesting philosophical question - how do you defend something that most likely doesn't exist?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
josh4president said:
Is it still considered a Move Defense Force when the entire contingent of persons familiar with the film (detractors included) amounts to a total of seven, of which Jim counts for four?
Lame joke aside, sticking up for something takes many forms. In this case, the injustice of a film that's been criminally overlooked.

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
I watched this on Netflix when it showed up sometime last year. Even if the only thing it had going for it was DHP's performance, it'd be worth it. It's a well made film with a really great atmosphere. I especially like that the whole "imaginary friends" angle wasn't played as some final-act twist, so it doesn't spoil the movie at all to know it. This makes me want to watch it again . . .

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
josh4president said:
Lame joke aside, sticking up for something takes many forms. In this case, the injustice of a film that's been criminally overlooked.
Just out of nosiness, what on earth are the words to the Movie Defence Force theme? I can never work it out.

Saw this a while ago, enjoyed it but wouldn't have said it was the best thing ever. Hyde pierce was great but I think it showed us a bit too much of his delusions. I think I would have preferred to have just not seen anything of what he saw. Although I suppose that could have it's own problems.