Movie Defense Force: The Perfect Host

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Orekoya said:
The fact that Warwick isn't actually all that dangerous is quite unique and interesting. I was completely caught off-guard by the fact that John was just let go at the end of the night despite the fact that it could come back and bite Warwick in the ass later. It was the first time I saw a movie about the psychos who are clearly mentally unhinged but aren't actual killers, even if just pretending to be.
That was a unique take, though a bit odd given the context of the ending. Still, I applaud them for trying a new direction with the home-invasion genre.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
Orekoya said:
The fact that Warwick isn't actually all that dangerous is quite unique and interesting. I was completely caught off-guard by the fact that John was just let go at the end of the night despite the fact that it could come back and bite Warwick in the ass later. It was the first time I saw a movie about the psychos who are clearly mentally unhinged but aren't actual killers, even if just pretending to be.
I thought that Warwick had killed those other people and was only leaving John alive because he knew who John was and wanted to take the money.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I wasn't aware this was one that even needed to be defended. I saw this on Netflix, thought it sounded interesting, watched it and liked it.

I've even shown it to other people and they all liked it.

Was it so hated?

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Come on Jim, this movie is one of the best movies I've ever seen.
Did it truly need defending...?

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I heard about this movie when it came to Netflix a couple of years ago. The premis looked so good that I made plans to watch it with a friend. I'm glad you keep defending things I like. I think there was maybe one you defended that I didn't agree with But I don't remember what it was. I was going to say i wasn't going to look, but now I'm thinking about it....Hold on....AH wait two. Transformers and Star Wars ep1.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
This is a brilliant film. I absolutely loved it. Should have gotten more attention for sure.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
MisterColeman said:
I thought that Warwick had killed those other people and was only leaving John alive because he knew who John was and wanted to take the money.
If I recall correctly, at the very end you get a glimpse of a board in his office that has pictures of the corpses of his "friends" on it. I took that to mean that they're based on murder victims in cases he investigated.

isbjorn

Nov 18, 2010
I love David Hyde Pierce and this is one movie I was waiting to see. Unfortunately we never got it as a rental (I work at an actual video rental store, they still exist in some parts, though our time is limited) and was really disappointed. Good to know that it is as slightly dark and a bit campy (in a good way) as I was hoping.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
daxterx2005 said:
This series is not based on what you, personally, think about movies.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Just finished watching it. As you said, the ending dragged on a bit, and overall I found it a bit anti-climactic.

Poodleboy

Jul 10, 2012
For those who are asking if this film needed defending, thus far, Jim has defended films against the opinions of critics, the opinions of the general public and the opinions of fans who felt they hadn't been served in the way they were entitled to be. In this case it seems Jim is defending this film against the opinions of publicists and publishers. People throughout the publishing and publicity process of this film seem to have been of the opinion that we wouldn't be interested in it.

"Should we give it an international release?" Publisher: "Nah. No one would go see it anyway." Jim: "Hell yes!"

"Should we give it a long enough run for people to find it?" Publisher: "Nah." Jim: "Hell yes!"

"Should we tell anyone that we are releasing it?" "Should we release it on Netflix in the UK as well as the US?"... and so on.

Jim is still fighting misguided opinion about the film, it's just that it is an opinion we didn't even hear about because no one bothered to tell us the film even existed.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I've legitimately never heard of this. I'm going to give it a watch tonight! Thanks, Jim!

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Well, this made me go and watch it, and I enjoyed almost every second. Thanks for the tip Jim.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah it was not a mainstream film because mainstream audiences dont like challenging, difficult or anything that really goes too far out of their comfort zone.

Other note: If you are taking suggestions, Do "The Last Airbender" in an upcoming ep. I watched it today for the first time and really I fail to get what was supposedly so horrific about this film to merit a 20 on Metacritic & 4.4 on IMDB when the films worst traits consisted of being designed for its actual target demographic of older kids to early teens, and the conflict of name pronunciations

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Poodleboy said:
For those who are asking if this film needed defending, thus far, Jim has defended films against the opinions of critics, the opinions of the general public and the opinions of fans who felt they hadn't been served in the way they were entitled to be. In this case it seems Jim is defending this film against the opinions of publicists and publishers. People throughout the publishing and publicity process of this film seem to have been of the opinion that we wouldn't be interested in it.

"Should we give it an international release?" Publisher: "Nah. No one would go see it anyway." Jim: "Hell yes!"

"Should we give it a long enough run for people to find it?" Publisher: "Nah." Jim: "Hell yes!"

"Should we tell anyone that we are releasing it?" "Should we release it on Netflix in the UK as well as the US?"... and so on.

Jim is still fighting misguided opinion about the film, it's just that it is an opinion we didn't even hear about because no one bothered to tell us the film even existed.
That might be the case if Jim had mentioned any of those issues in the video at all, but he didn't. I mean, I like Jim, but it's kind of weird to make up a whole bunch of stuff that he is supposedly arguing, when he has never bought them up.

How would you like it if somebody attributed arguments to you that you never said? You're literally putting words in his mouth.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
MisterColeman said:
Orekoya said:
No, Warwick was just an expert at movie makeup and faked all the others just like he faked this one. He caused the fear without actually hurting anyone, the perfect host. A guy who just treats his intruders weirdly isn't really a crime especially given the fact that they were intruding. And those acts alone are enough fulfillment for his insanity, which given that he's a police lieutenant known to be on anti-psychotics, the internal department probably monitors him too closely for him to be some uncaught serial killer anyways.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
daxterx2005 said:
This series is not based on what you, personally, think about movies.
Jim has finally replied to one of my posts!
Thank God for him.