Movie Defense Force: The Perfect Host

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
daxterx2005 said:
Jim has finally replied to one of my posts!
Thank God for him.
And yet he completely avoided the question. I wonder why he even bothers to respond if he's not going to bother saying anything meaningful in his responses.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
The Perfect Host

BEST. PARTY. EVER.

Watch Video
As soon as I saw the title of the movie, I was upset. This movie doesn't need defenders. It's awesome.

Then I checked its Tomatometer Score. I gave it a positive review, but apparently I'm in in the minority there.

Fortunately, it did make a profit on the home market, so it was rewarded in the end.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Aardvaarkman said:
daxterx2005 said:
Jim has finally replied to one of my posts!
Thank God for him.
And yet he completely avoided the question. I wonder why he even bothers to respond if he's not going to bother saying anything meaningful in his responses.
He did answer the question. This series reviews movies that earned bad reviews. Just because daxterx2005 liked the movie doesn't negate the fact that it earned weak reviews.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
C.S.Strowbridge said:
He did answer the question. This series reviews movies that earned bad reviews. Just because daxterx2005 liked the movie doesn't negate the fact that it earned weak reviews.
No, he didn't answer the question. This is what Jim said:

"This series is not based on what you, personally, think about movies."

But he does not answer the question of why this movie needed defending. He also sis not say anything about "bad reviews." He could have taken the opportunity to say exactly what this series is supposed to be about, but instead he acted condescendingly - as if the question was stupid and not worth answering.

Maybe you can point out where Jim has explained the rationale behind the series? Because you seem to be putting words into Jim's mouth and making up your own reason for the series. Meanwhile, Jim for some reason is acting like his reasons for doing the series are some kind of big secret that we don't deserve an explanation of.

Your argument about the series is about films that got bad reviews falls apart when he does episodes on movies that got good reviews.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
This movie's been sitting in my Netflix queue for a while. I think this video just provided me the impetus to actually sit down and watch it.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Aardvaarkman said:
He also sis not say anything about "bad reviews."
He did so in the video.

Aardvaarkman said:
He could have taken the opportunity to say exactly what this series is supposed to be about
Have you listened to the theme song?

It's about defending movies that society thinks are bad. Overall reviews are certainly part of that.

If you think the film is good, great, but that doesn't change the public's perception of the film.

Aardvaarkman said:
Your argument about the series is about films that got bad reviews falls apart when he does episodes on movies that got good reviews.
If, not when.

It hasn't happened so far.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Aardvaarkman said:
He also sis not say anything about "bad reviews."
He did so in the video.
I wasn't talking about the video, I was talking about his response here.

C.S.Strowbridge said:
Have you listened to the theme song?
It's unintelligible.

Aardvaarkman said:
It's about defending movies that society thinks are bad. Overall reviews are certainly part of that.
But they aren't the same thing. "Society" can think a movie is "bad" that got good critical reviews.

C.S.Strowbridge said:
If, not when.

It hasn't happened so far.
Yes, it has. He did The Phantom Menace, which not only got good reviews at the time, was a massive box-office success.

Anyway, you are again speaking for Jim, and making up criteria for his selections that he hasn't confirmed. I'm pretty sure that he just chooses whatever the hell he wants, and doesn't have any real criteria, but again, that's also speculation.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I actually saw this in a theatre. I was totally unaware people thought it was bad. I thought it was awesome, and super creepy.

HappyRat

May 13, 2013
SwimmingRock said:
wombat_of_war said:
The first film you have defended that i have honestly never heard of.
Seriously, how did this so severely fly under the radar? It came out in 2010, which was back when I still checked theater releases every week and I'd never heard of it either.

Wait, mystery solved. According to imdb, it was only released in America. Will go a-hunting for this one. Thanks, Jim.
Magnolia/Magnet are good at picking out winning films for release, but not so good at advertising them, or doing wide releases. The only reason you hear of gems like Trollhunter is via the internet. Magnolia seems to only advertise via promos on their DVDs/Blu-Rays, and only does limited releases for a lot of great movies.

Mar 26, 2008
How did I not hear about this movie? David Hyde Pierce = me going to have to see it! Thanks for the heads up Jim.

HappyRat said:
The only reason you hear of gems like Trollhunter is via the internet. Magnolia seems to only advertise via promos on their DVDs/Blu-Rays, and only does limited releases for a lot of great movies.
Trollhunter was f'n brilliant. I stumbled across it by total accident.

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
O maestre said:
thanks jim I never would have found this gem without you 😏
Pretty much this. I've seen just about every other movie you've defended, but this is one I'd never heard of before I saw this episode, which is a shame because this movie is right in my wheelhouse. I really love quirky dark comedies like this. I agree that the only real problem with the movie is that it doesn't know how to end itself, but the first three quarters of the movie are strong enough that I don't mind a bit of a weak ending.