Movie Defense Force: Waterworld

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I like this series so far, but I noticed a pattern, that is starting to worry me:

Alien: Yeah, the movie wasn't bad itself, it was just different compared to the other film.

Blair Witch: Yeah, the movie wasn't bad itself, it was just different compared to the Blair Witch franchise.

Waterworld: Yeah, the movie wasn't bad itself, it was just like other movies at its time.

My point is that it does not suffice to claim, that a movie is not as bad as it is held up to be. I would like to be presented with reasons why people thought these movies bad in the first place. I am sure there are tons of reviews out there, that make substancial points about these movies' content, to illustrate how bad they are. In my opinion, it would greatly improve the quality of this show, if you took time to present some of the points people usually raise to illustrate how bad these films are.

At its current state, all you are doing in this show is to present an opinion contrary to the mainstream. Actually I don't even need to watch the videos, but only have to read the title to know their content: "Ah, so Jim thinks Film X isn't that bad. Good to know." Working more with the arguments raised by people against these movies would make the whole thing a lot more meaninful in my view.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Exterminas said:
I like this series so far, but I noticed a pattern, that is starting to worry me:

Alien: Yeah, the movie wasn't bad itself, it was just different compared to the other film.

Blair Witch: Yeah, the movie wasn't bad itself, it was just different compared to the Blair Witch franchise.

Waterworld: Yeah, the movie wasn't bad itself, it was just like other movies at its time.

My point is that it does not suffice to claim, that a movie is not as bad as it is held up to be. I would like to be presented with reasons why people thought these movies bad in the first place. I am sure there are tons of reviews out there, that make substancial points about these movies' content, to illustrate how bad they are. In my opinion, it would greatly improve the quality of this show, if you took time to present some of the points people usually raise to illustrate how bad these films are.

At its current state, all you are doing in this show is to present an opinion contrary to the mainstream. Actually I don't even need to watch the videos, but only have to read the title to know their content: "Ah, so Jim thinks Film X isn't that bad. Good to know." Working more with the arguments raised by people against these movies would make the whole thing a lot more meaningful in my view.
I agree with this sentiment. I feel that if Jim had a bigger background in film analysis and criticism then this series would be better. I want something more along the lines of Moviebob's video on Suckerpunch and less "well it's not that bad".

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Yes. YES.

I actually sent him a PM about this movie.
:D

My exact PM:

Try going over Waterworld.

While not a great movie obviously, I never understood why it was ranked right up there with Battlefield Earth as one of the worst movies that has ever existed.

I thought it was a fun concept, an interesting idea, and a welcome contrast from the usual apocalyptic scenario.

?Instead of nuclear fire? Let?s DROWN THE PLANET!?

Is this because of me? Possibly. (Probably not). It?s a legitimate movie that he might have already planned to do. Still, I?m glad he did it. And I?m glad to see all the support it?s getting here.
It?s an okay movie. Not a great one, just okay.

Strazdas said:
Wait a minute. this movie is actually hated? our loca television considers it a second comming.
I've almost never heard anything nice said about this movie. It's often compared to Battlefield Earth for "Worst movie ever spawned"

saleem

Oct 29, 2009
I think Waterworld if made today would probably be pretty successful especially when compared to some of the real action adventure duds that have been coming out lately. The biggest issue with it was probably that it was too long as is the case with most of Costner's movies and that the budget for its time was enormous and people left the cinema feeling that there should have been more to show for it. Costner's performance also left a lot to be desired as he really didnt have the chops to do action convincingly, though that is not to say that it was bad.

I personally enjoy Waterworld and yes as long as you dont try to disassemble it in your head it is a good romp. It's sinfully indulgent on Costner's part but if you can over look that you will be ok.

saleem

Oct 29, 2009
Zydrate said:
Yes. YES.
I've almost never heard anything nice said about this movie. It's often compared to Battlefield Earth for "Worst movie ever spawned"
You have obviously never seen Barry Bostwick in Megaforce then, not even the travesty that was Super Mario could dethrone that movie LoL

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
While I found premise ridiculous, I liked the setting and the world
Movie was ok, not perfect or bad but ok
Not to mention "Waterworld" as open world RPG would be awesome (like FO3 on boats)

Dirt as commodity actually makes sense
You need that stuff to grow stuff
and you need stuff to eat anything else than fish and seaweed
(although you could probably make soil out of sun-burnt feces mixed with seaweed)

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I've never seen this film. When it came out I was sort of over the post-apocalypse thing because it seems like films had ran the concept into the ground. I've never been a big fan of water either so I don't really get the concept of why people love to get on boats. Just to much of a land person so I'd never be a sailor, I guess in the world of Avatar I'd be an earth bender.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
I always liked Waterworld for what it was; a cheesy and over-the-top, but utterly distinctive, good laugh.

Nuttydwarf

May 15, 2012
I always looked at Waterworld the same as the Madd Max films, just a good movie to watch, have fun and enjoy.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Three episodes in and I'm beginning to wonder if you have enough material for this show, Jim. This one was fluffy, really. Basically saying that the movie is not that bad, but the behind-the-scenes stuff and reports of its budget are the reason why it's hated so much. There. I just did the exact same thing in a fraction of the time.

Looking back on the previous episodes, I'm not so sure they had much substance either. It's just Am Not the Series. I suppose if that's what you want, fine. But I find it a bit to lightweight and forgettable, really. It's got me wondering what the point of this series is.

Is the point to argue us out of our opinions on a film we didn't enjoy? I doubt it because that would be stupid. I've been trying to think what the point could be, but I just can't fathom it. Pointing out that some movies are not as bad as common opinion seems to hold it can only last so long.

Tombfyre

Feb 7, 2008
I wasn't even aware the movie was seriously disliked. Everyone I know rather liked the film, and I for one still do! It was highly enjoyable, and the sets were absolutely gorgeous.

conanthegamer

Sep 19, 2008
The first time I seen this movie was on the IMAX screen in San Antonio. This movie is perfect for IMAX. I really liked this movie too. The only complaint that was viable for this movie was its budget. Other than that it was a fun movie.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
Waterworld was a fairly middling affair. But I think its been pointed out that a lot of its negative press arises from its flopping so hard in theaters. However, don't feel too bad for it. Supposedly it was profitable in the end due to performing extremely well as rental.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
This is a defense I can mostly get behind. Waterworld isn't a great film, but it's also not nearly as bad as people claim, and certainly isn't the end of Costner's career. That, my friends, is entirely on the shoulders of The Postman. Which is so bad as to be baffling.

Darkprophet232

Feb 3, 2013
I'm confused as the point of this video. Is it to defend lackluster, average movies against some marginal class of people that hate said movies? I ask because, per the consensus, Waterworld is an average to slightly-below-average film. 46% on Rotten Tomatoes, 5.9 on IMBD, and a 56 on Metacritic. It's pretty much on the review spectrum where a popcorn, 90's-action film would be. Who are you defending this mediocre movie against?

You are also doing a disservice to the films detractors (not haters) by not addressing any of the faults and straight out misrepresenting the movie as "doing nothing wrong." It's overly long, the protagonist is unlikable for the first 90 minutes, the female lead has zero personality other than "protect my daughter, i'll show you my tits if do!," things in the movie make no damn sense (though you did bring up dirt, but you left out the oil should have run out long ago and the cause of Costner's mutation is never adequately explained), and all-in-all, its just an average action movie that reached way too high and had an anti-climatic ending. Most action movies of the 90's didn't hit $150 million domestic in the box office (case in point: True Lies, which came out the year before with a much better action star and female lead and a had far superior director in James Cameron, only earned roughly $146 million) but the studio signed on to make one that cost $175 million (not counting advertising) anyway. Hell, Waterworld made almost $10 million more than the superior and a lot more fun, popcorn-action-flick Demolition Man.

How about you defend bad movies that almost no one likes? You can start with any on this list:
http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom

Finalplayerryu

Jul 21, 2011
I dont get the hate for this movie, its one of my favourites and one of the few that i taped as a child to rewatch it to my liking.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Nepenthe87 said:
Joking aside I always was okay with waterworld. It's not Nearly as boring as the the fucking Postman (even if Postman has better internal logic concerning it's apocalypse).
Oh god. Anything I had to say about how I didn't like Waterworld has vanished upon you reminding me of the atrocity that was Postman. Why would you do this? Why would you mention THAT movie?! Waterworld is the best thing ever compared to Postman!

daxterx2005 said:
I'm sorry, but every time I see Hopper I think Koopa.
Monkey!