Movie Musicals: those that really hit you

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I had Disney + this month so I could watch Hamilton. I actually had to watch it more than once to really begin to adore it. So now I'm looking through other movies and sound tracks, new and old and thinking about which ones really reach me. Example: From the 1970s movie by Milos Foreman: Hair. Any that you advise people watch a couple of times?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Rocketman, the recent Elton John biopic got me a few times. Still need to check out Hamilton, but had to cancel Disney plus sub to save pennies; alas, another victim of cancel culture!

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
“It’s 106 miles to Chicago. We’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses”
-Elwood Blues

The Blues Brothers is a great entry to musicals. It’s got two great comedians of the era, a soundtrack worthy of an academy award, some kickass car chases and stars some of the greatest musicians ever.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I’m not aficionado of the genre, but when musicals come up, I tend to defer to the Rodgers and Hammerstein era. With the exception of Hamilton and The Wiz, I can’t think of a single one of the scant few I’ve bothered to watch that I’ve liked enough to refer.

Reactions: gorfias