Movie Trailers: Man of Steel - Trailer

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
A trailer without drums? We truly are living in the future!
Definately going to go see this when it comes out.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Why is this so dark? I know they are trying their damndest not to just redo the old movies, but a good chunk of what makes Superman work is that he's not another Batman. This should be a bit less serious, a bit more lighthearted.

P.S. Thanks

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Sorry, but I don't believe this Man can fly.

Which is a shame, Superman deserves to have a good movie at last. The originals REALLY don't hold up IMO.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Covarr said:
Why is this so dark? I know they are trying their damndest not to just redo the old movies, but a good chunk of what makes Superman work is that he's not another Batman. This should be a bit less serious, a bit more lighthearted.
Do you remember Superman Returns? That's (kind of) why...

The problem is that Superman, for much of his existence, was not a particularly deep character. He could be summed up as " a brave and kind-hearted hero with a strong sense of justice, morality and righteousness" with a particular focus on the ideal American small town personality that originated from a Smallville myth. He was, for the most part, the ultimate 20th century embodiment of simple goodness and justice.

The problem is that Smallville doesn't exist any more. The Rural/Small Town, USA has on the decline for decades and the ugly grey realities of the 21st century don't mesh well with the idealized fake black and white nostalgia of the mid-twentieth century.

When they first announced the Man of Steel movie, I made a point that Superman cannot fight the same way he fought in the past. Brute force can stop a bank robbery, but how do you stop a company who is destroying the economy in a way perfectly within the law? Heat vision can stop a missile, but how can it stop a political system willing to fire it? Superman was the embodiment of a Cold War might-in-the-pursuit-of-Justice mentality that just doesn't make any sense today.

-----

More interesting, I feel we're going to get something very new in this: an origin story. Fundamentally, we've gotten a lot of stories of where he came from (sent from Krypton, raised in rural Kansas, moved to Metropolis and became a reporter as a mask for his crime-fighting), but never really a true motivation for why he does what he does other than "he's a good man," and that doesn't make much sense when he could have been a lawyer in the tradition of Lincoln, or a doctor in search of impossible cures, or a nuclear physicist searching for a peaceful solution to atomic power? What was the catalyst for him turning to superheroism? It looks like we're going to finally going to get that answered.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Soods said:
A trailer without drums? We truly are living in the future!
Definately going to go see this when it comes out.
This really made me laugh, bravo.

Yes it looks like they're finally giving Superman the credit he deserves, I'm quite excited.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I don't think he would say "maybe" to his "Should I have let him die?" comment. I'm guessing that was Jonathan Kent, in which case that doesn't seem like something he he would ever say. Other then that, I'm looking forward to it.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Color me intrigued. I like the idea of exploring it more than anyone has in the comics. I always thought it a huge misstep to overlook in all the outlandish powers he was given, he still couldn't save his father. Talk about a huge driving force for someone to be personally invested in everything he does. I really hope the movie nails that.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
So... er... I can't help but notice big blue leaves contrails as he flies about... now, I'm not expert on the mythos, but I'm pretty sure he's not got a jet engine tucked away somewhere in this costume (well, not literally, I'll leave those interested to ponder what they will)... what's the implication here? Super-BO?

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Daverson said:
So... er... I can't help but notice big blue leaves contrails as he flies about... now, I'm not expert on the mythos, but I'm pretty sure he's not got a jet engine tucked away somewhere in this costume (well, not literally, I'll leave those interested to ponder what they will)... what's the implication here? Super-BO?
I thought that was implying that he can fly faster than sound and push through the atmosphere.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
I don't think he would say "maybe" to his "Should I have let him die?" comment. I'm guessing that was Jonathan Kent, in which case that doesn't seem like something he he would ever say. Other then that, I'm looking forward to it.
I had no problem with that part. What Clark and Jonathan are going through is completely foreign to them. Jonathan evidently has never dealt with something like this and is uncertain what to do to protect his wife and son. I like that that uncertainty is portrayed, as opposed to him automatically having all the right answers for Clark.

His saying "maybe" seemed to me a very introspective moment, like he was trying to convince himself as well as his son. Definitely looking forward to this.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
It looks great visually, but something about it rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's the part about Johnathan Kent telling Clark that he should've let people die rather than expose who he really was.

EDIT: I am assuming that was Johnathan Kent.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Beautiful shots throughout the trailer., really excited about it and hope it can change peoples opinion on Superman as a Character.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is looking awesome. As a massive fan of comics in general, I thought the last one was really awesome. That said, no one can deny that the Clark Kent portions of the movie really dragged it down. The comics stopped being about the Superman/Clark Kent dichotomy a while ago. It's because people ultimately care about the Superman parts and not so much the "Mild mannered Clark Kent" stuff. This is looking like an awesome movie about Superman, which is what this character needs.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
LobsterFeng said:
Daverson said:
I thought that was implying that he can fly faster than sound and push through the atmosphere.
I'm not talking about the sonic boom thingy (I don't know what the technical term is, so I won't pretend to know) I'm talking about contrails, this things [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/Engine_exhaust_condensation.jpg/300px-Engine_exhaust_condensation.jpg].

I actually just looked it up, and apparently they're caused by water vapour being condensed by the atmospheric pressure generated by lift, and not just by jet engines... so it's super perspiration I guess? I don't know if that's better or worse... I mean, on one hand he doesn't necessarily smell bad, but on the other... well, going to watch a movie about a guy in a skintight suit who wrestles people is one thing, a sweaty guy in a skintight suit who wrestles people, though?