Movie Trailers: Man of Steel - Trailer

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Daverson said:
I actually just looked it up, and apparently they're caused by water vapour being condensed by the atmospheric pressure generated by lift, and not just by jet engines... so it's super perspiration I guess? I don't know if that's better or worse... I mean, on one hand he doesn't necessarily smell bad, but on the other... well, going to watch a movie about a guy in a skintight suit who wrestles people is one thing, a sweaty guy in a skintight suit who wrestles people, though?
So you've just looked up how contrails are formed, and then leapt wildly onto the idea that is it in fact a completely different thing?

OT: Film looks, as has bee said, like it will be very well shot. didn't know the villain was meant to be Zod though, as I don't remember him having an armada of spaceships.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
OT: Film looks, as has bee said, like it will be very well shot. didn't know the villain was meant to be Zod though, as I don't remember him having an armada of spaceships.
Maybe that was a quick shot of Krypton being destroyed? I'll have to watch it again.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Hammeroj said:
Loop Stricken said:
I know almost literally nothing about the Superman universe, but I don't think it's much of a stretch considering the guy's named General Zod.
The only thing I know about this film was in this trailer. Maybe I zoned out when the trailer explained it was Zod.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Lunar Templar said:
looks good, and interesting, which would be a first for super man
Think you need to check your math on that one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_The_Animated_Series

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
bigfatcarp93 said:
Lunar Templar said:
looks good, and interesting, which would be a first for super man
Think you need to check your math on that one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_The_Animated_Series
i think you need to not assume just cause something was 'good' that it makes it interesting

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Goofguy said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I don't think he would say "maybe" to his "Should I have let him die?" comment. I'm guessing that was Jonathan Kent, in which case that doesn't seem like something he he would ever say. Other then that, I'm looking forward to it.
I had no problem with that part. What Clark and Jonathan are going through is completely foreign to them. Jonathan evidently has never dealt with something like this and is uncertain what to do to protect his wife and son. I like that that uncertainty is portrayed, as opposed to him automatically having all the right answers for Clark.

His saying "maybe" seemed to me a very introspective moment, like he was trying to convince himself as well as his son. Definitely looking forward to this.
I guess it just needed a bit more context, didn't think about it that way, but damn is it looking good.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Looking forward to it, but Amy Adams as Lois Lane?

That dog won't hunt, monsignor.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
The Gentleman said:
The problem is that Smallville doesn't exist any more. The Rural/Small Town, USA has on the decline for decades and the ugly grey realities of the 21st century don't mesh well with the idealized fake black and white nostalgia of the mid-twentieth century.
On the decline maybe, but is it completely dead yet.
The very same decline could be his entire motivation for going to Metropolis.

Superman is still relevant in this day, the comics and the animated universe have made this very clear, why do you think he still sells.

Superman is supposed to be an shining icon of hope, an icon for the better days, be they of old (Smalville) or of the future (Metropolis), no matter how bleak the world is right now.

The best example, that I can remember, is at the end of "Apokolips now" from the animated series.

And showing that "the good old days" are in decline is a good way to tell people to forget the past and look to the future (And getting some particularly conservative politicians to throw a hissy fit).
Cue act 2 where that forgotten past comes back to bite you (Zod).

ASan83 said:

I personally think she looks more like a Lana Lang, then again I have no knowledge of the actor, outside enchanted and her IMDB profile.

I just truly hopes that the "Dark and gritty" are used right, as in the start right until he hits Metropolis, the city of tomorrow and maybe in the inevitable first defeat.

Just please don't go Nolan on us

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Hope they get the original score in there somewhere, Its just too good not to use.

Best part of Superman Returns was the opening credits.

Aside from that i really like what i see. Darkness and all, it seems like Superman becomes Superman in spite of himself.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
chiefohara said:
Hope they get the original score in there somewhere, Its just too good not to use.

Best part of Superman Returns was the opening credits.
Yeah, it was also the last thing I remember from that utterly forgettable movie. The entire movie felt forced and disparately trying to be as good as the handful of movies that did not age well.

I hope that they put theme in the ending credits because it would probably throw off the tone of the movie significantly if it was any earlier...

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Spacefrog said:
ASan83 said:

I personally think she looks more like a Lana Lang, then again I have no knowledge of the actor, outside enchanted and her IMDB profile.

I just truly hopes that the "Dark and gritty" are used right, as in the start right until he hits Metropolis, the city of tomorrow and maybe in the inevitable first defeat.

That was my exact line of thinking as well. She's a decent actress, so she can pull off the role with her skills, it's the fact that she just doesn't look the part that gets me.

Also agree on the 'dark and gritty'. Superman can do stretches of dark and gritty, but the central theme of the entire mythos throughout various interpretations has been his unflappable hope and belief in the inherent goodness of the people of Earth. He's not Batman, and my greatest fear is that there just going to make him SuperBatman. Still looking forward to this movie (My most anticipated of next year), just hope they do it right.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
Mygaffer said:
kyoodle said:
My word that looks dull, though I've never really enjoyed Superman to be fair.
Can you explain how it looked dull?
Hmm really it's just that it doesn't seem to have a hook, it looks very normal. I know this complaint is brought up a lot but it looked very teal and orange, especially as the trailer went on. The choir at the beginning sounds like it was lifted from Gladiator. There doesn't seem to be much creativity there and it feels like Superman Returns..again with more modern sensibilities, specifically the focus on brooding characters. Which is fine when it's done well but in similar recent films (the Dark Knight, Bond and Bourne films for example) it falls flat, I'd take a fun dumb film with little characterisation over a film with poor characterisation that's trying to be deep any day.

Like I said I'm not a Superman fan and maybe my lack of interest in the franchise is getting in the way. It doesn't look bad as such and I will get round to watching it at some point and I hope I'm wrong and that I'll enjoy it, but it can definitely wait until it's on DVD/Netflix.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Spacefrog said:

The dark and gritty might work a treat if Superman's presence becomes the light in that darkness.

As for the corporate criminals and foreign government things; well that's what Clark Kent is for. He fights the fights that Superman cannot. If I ever see another Superman cartoon or a limited comics run where he's bringing down Lex Luthor, I hope that its Clark Kent and not Superman that strikes the final blow.