MovieBob Goes to the Renaissance Faire

Jedisolo75

Aug 12, 2009
I just got back from the Kansas City Ren Fest and it's a blast every year. Like the one in you describe it's a permenant structure, although probably smaller, and it's great to know your way around after a couple of years. I never miss a chance to go once or twice a year, even though I'm several hours away.

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
Good that you didn't buy a sword from there, those often tend to be rubbish. Or in my case, the swords sold at the closest equivalent of one. Worst case, they're stainless steel rat-tail -tanged Sword-Like-Objects with a price way over what it should be (which I'd say is somewhere below their weight in that stainless steel). I tend to do all my weapon purchasing (which is basically all of my money not required to stay alive) custom-ordered from smiths I've heard good about from serious collectors. Naturally something cheaper first to see if there's any truth to that, and only after getting a good look-see at the steel I get into the more expensive stuff.
Yeah, I know that it doesn't really matter at all if a sword-shaped piece of steel actually works or not if you just want to hang it on a wall and look at it, but I personally loathe to buy something that looks like a sword but is actually a poorly made aping of one. Give me the most pragmatic, ugly yet functional carbon steel full tang blade over a gorgeous stainless steel piece, and I'll be happier than ever. Of course, coming from Northeastern Europe means I get to have a lot of
Hmh, my first sword is pretty much that butt-ugly thing. I still have her, and she's more or less a completely unadorned, honestly ugly sword. There's balance, there's a solid form, but there's also the fact she looks like the victim of an assault with a hammer. I've never seen an uglier pommel, and the guard is somewhat asymmetrical. The handle has uneven risers (most of which I'm sure are not even real risers but some accidental mishap) and the whole thing's basically bad to look at. So it's amazing that she makes up for it so well in hand. Nevermind the ugliness, she's good to hold and has a great swing. Doesn't fight against it, doesn't punish for hitting a target. I've no idea what transpired to create this steel lady, but she's a dearie. I still display her beside blades that cost me ten times that. Bought her from a friend way back. Apparently, she was some apprentice smith's first serious attempt at a sword. He really focused on function over form, I guess. Or it was an accident. Nevertheless, these are the happy mishaps I try new smiths for.
On a sidenote, whereas that sword is the lady, the "sir" is quite different. Probably the most expensive sword I will ever have. In a way, they're both very, very nice. I can't pick a favorite.

Yeah, I'm going to stop creepily talking about my swords and why you shouldn't buy certain swords now and let you all get back to talking about renfaires. Oh, I should probably wax up the newest blade again. He's a bit of a brute.

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
I'll be heading out to my local faire in a couple weeks out in Lancaster, Pa. It's always a great time. Getting hammered, heckling the stunt performers, beating up my friends in the fencing pit, getting beaten by my wife in the fencing pit, drinking mead and ale and wine. And the corsets... my god, the corsets... I will be forever grateful to the pretty shop girl who taught my wife how to 'fluff'.

I can not wait for October 9th...

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
Can't wait until mid October! Won't be going to a renn faire, technically, but the SCA's Great Western War still attracts its share of merchant booths and attractive young women in corsets.

Jymm

Sep 18, 2010
The only Ren Faire I've been to was in Tuxedo, NY. I live in Western Mass and at the time didn't know about any in the eastern end of the state. But I did have a great time at "The Medieval Manor" theatre restaurant in Boston.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
MovieBob said:
MovieBob downs some mead, ogles some elven maidens, and ponders purchasing a shiny new sword at the local Ren Faire.
I am certain that if you showed up at the office wielding a sword, the boss and/or accountant would say "Yes, you can claim that as a buisness expense."

The Partisan

Nov 18, 2009
What a coincidence. My town is having a "Viking Festival" tomorrow. Gonna' get my Norse on!

HAIL GODS OF WAR!!!!

AOSx182_v1legacy

Sep 28, 2009
hey i've been here! king richards faire is great.
also, check out that family guy episode that takes place there, its wicked funny! haha

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Once I got over the hump of childhood and self-consciousness kicked in, I felt like a fool for not going with a costume on. At the same time of course there was no way I was going to wear a costume. So the entire experience is kind of a catch 22.

Then there's the tipping of the performers. I don't really like most of their acts, but you've got to do something and you feel kind of guilty, if not for watching, for the effort and time they put in, so I end up tipping them all anyway.

And some people get way too into it. Luckily there are far more people that are dressed up and there but kind of embarrassed to be doing it, and they're okay. But the really serious ones can be scary.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
I feel that I need to get a proper throwing axe one of these days or I am going to regret it.

EvilYoshi

Aug 9, 2010
Now that is what I call escapism... Not the pussyfooting going on around 'ere. I would definitely enjoy something like this over PAX and Pokemon.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
We do have yard glasses in Europe. It's neither crazy nor new. It is serious business.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, that's the way it was. The Medieval people were at war with the Sci-fi people - that's why they do these faires, they're re-enactments.

A shiny penny to anybody that gets the reference.

Ren Faires sound like a lot of fun, but I'd always be too self conscious to enjoy them properly. I'd be uncomfortable both in costume and surrounded by people in costume. Especially if these people were taking their roles too seriously. I don't want any spells cast on me/axes thrown at my face.

Plus if you get people drunk on yards of ale and mead and put some weapons on close proximity, some bad times are going to go down.

I can see myself dying for reals in these kind of places. Mostly because of all the corseted women - I'd be so busy ogling I'd probably walk in front of a horse and get trampled to death.

My last words would be 'worth it.'

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
There's a huge Renaissance Faire about half an hour away twice a year, and it's always fun whenever I make it. Human chess, this really cool hawking thing, real swords like you mentioned (my dad got this REALLY cool looking fighting knife, sheath and all), realistic (at least realistic looking) clothing, the whole shebang. They're just awesome!

P.S. Churches are more common than Dunkin' donuts here in Tulsa. Shucks, they're almost more common than gas stations!

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Moviebob, I take back almost everything I said about you after your Expendables review.

Are you an elitist nerd? Yes, but you also love ye olde Renaissance Faires.

And that makes you awesome in my book.