MovieBob leaving The Escapist

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Well that certainly came out of left field.

http://moviebob.blogspot.co.il/2015/02/all-good-things.html?spref=tw

I wonder what will replace him. I might not have agreed with on his stance on Gamergate, but I enjoyed his movie-reviews and his The Big Picture series.

Should be interesting to see what he'll do next? A patreon-funded youtube series perhaps?

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Wow

I never would have expected that, he's got a lot of shows and writes things for the site.

Hope the best for him

The future of this place is certainly more in question now :/

EDIT: Eh, maybe that's a tad over-dramatic

I'll wait for an official announcement and see where that goes. Gotta stay positive!

2HF

May 24, 2011
I've heard a lot of people say "Now that X is leaving I have no reason to come to the escapist", never thought it'd be me. And it won't! At least not until Yahtzee gets the boot. And even then I'll probably come out of pure habit and for general gaming news. The only videos I watch at this point are ben and bob's. So weird to have lost all the shows I did come here for. What is it about this place that drives everyone away? Gonna miss ya bob, and by that I mean I'll probably have a hard time tracking you down but when I do we'll be back in full swing.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Alrighty, since a good number of people don't seem to know, our old friend Bob Chipman, aka 'MovieBob' is no longer going to be working here at the Escapist.

http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2015/02/all-good-things.html?spref=tw

He made the announcement on his blog and Twitter account, thanking those who gave him the opportunity to put his skills and knowledge to use in a job he loved as well as the many fans who supported him along the way.

As someone who enjoyed Bob's work, I thank him for the the time and effort he poured into pleasing his viewership and readers and sincerely wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Content is getting a bit thin on the ground isn't it.

Still the DnD stream that hurts the most though.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Not that much of a surprise to be frank. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that noticed, but he seems to have been making less content lately. His twitter rants didn't help much either (in fact, there is no doubt in my mind that is the primary reason for this happening). I just hope they can find appropriate content to fill the void.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Ugh, with him and Jim gone, it seems all the interesting video series on this site are drying up. Genuinely enjoyed his videos quite a bit, more than ZP and Jimquisition most of the time. Not a change I'm a fan of, I'll stick around for the forums but it feels like the Escapist is needlessly bleeding away it's talent.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Come to think of it: This means that there's only weekly content I'm really interested in on Tuesdays and Wednesdays now here on the Escapist

That's really sad. It used to a five days a week program.

I sorely hope that the Escapist is filling the ranks with some new content.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I'll miss his content, sure, but much more the older reviews than his later stuff. My disagreements with his stances did occasionally take away from my enjoyment of his work - particularly when he went off on tangents - but it was interesting enough to listen to his reviews in the background.

Good luck, Bob.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I'm kinda meh on the subject. While sometimes I liked his content.... Sometimes I absolutely hated it. He often got too politically preachy for my tastes/ I wish him luck and all. But you know I won't miss his content as much as I worry about the gap this leaves in the escapist.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Well ZP is basicly the only thing the Escapist has for me now. I will read Critical Miss when I remember but offen don't and if I watch No Right Answer or not very much depends on the topic.

I don't like the whole 'X is gone, The Escapist is DOOMED!!!!' but they really need to get some new content, fast.

Javetts Eall Raksha

May 28, 2014
Barbas said:
I'll miss his content, sure, but much more the older reviews than his later stuff. My disagreements with his stances did occasionally take away from my enjoyment of his work - particularly when he went off on tangents - but it was interesting enough to listen to his reviews in the background.

Good luck, Bob.
my basic feelings about this. though i now don't have a reason to come here. yahtzee isn't enough on his own. will "the big picture" and "escape to the movie" become their own thing like jim did with the jimquisition? or are those shows just dead now?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
The only way in which this worries me is that it leaves yet another huge gap in the escapist.

Yahtzee if you happen to read this, if the escapist is going down buy ZP and EP from them before they crash so you can at least monetize them your self, and/or use them as the basis for a patreon. I really like what you do creatively and I'd like for you to be able to keep the cushion so you can still support your self as an artist.

Movie Bob, good luck in your future endeavours. You're not my cup of tea, but plenty of people like you.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
So, whats everybody still visiting? I got Critical Miss and Experienced Points remaining.
Zero Punctuation and the forums are all that's left for me at this point.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Wait what?! Damn, another reason to come to the Escapist gone... all's that's left that I (personally) enjoy are Zero Punctuation, Critical Miss, browsing the forums, and the odd Unskippable episode.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
While I didn't particularly watch much of Bob's work (don't watch many movies to make it worthwhile), this is continuing a worrying trend of the Escapist losing good people recently.

And if I were to put on a conspiratorial hat for a moment (coincidental considering what it all stems from), most, if not all, of them shared similar opinions on GG albeit some more vocal than others.

If you're reading Bob, best of luck in whatever happens next.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

Personally for me Jim was the bigger loss. Don't get me wrong, I watched Moviebob off and on but I'm not as disheartened by the news. The Escapist editorial staff went through a transition due to financial concerns so I'm guessing this is also an austerity measure. Its not for me to ask about the behind the scenes of this sites finances but an educated guess is that the Expos might have cost more than ever revealed.

Loading Ready Run is still here with content I love and I joined the site for Zero Punctuation. This place still has my patronage and I still think the house can be put in order; I just think its getting a little more serious now. I just hope they don't demand three times the content from the producers they have now in order to make good the gap.