MovieBob leaving The Escapist

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
Ishal said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Ishal said:
wow, are they REALLY trash talking yahtzee there??? without him, escapist would have not been nearly the site it is today. way to shoot a gift horse in the mouth.
Well, the gift horse made a pretty level headed response to a moronic article. It just so happened that said response wasn't tacit agreement with the politics of those people. Thus, we see those tweets.
i'm sorry, but i'm not fully aware of what you're talking about here, any chance you could hook me up with some links? someone wrote a stupid article and yahtzee made a calm retort that management lost their shit over? am i understanding that correcty?
Sure.

PC Gamer published an article about PC gamers no longer calling themselves the "PC Master Race."

Found here: http://www.pcgamer.com/lets-stop-calling-ourselves-the-pc-master-race/

Then Yahtzee wrote something in response, found here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/12882-The-PC-Master-Race-Discussion-Political-Correctness-vs-Language-

As the term originated with him. Then the people made the tweets that you saw.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Bat Vader said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Regardless of what people think of MovieBob ... I actually enjoyed the majority of his content.

Reminds me of when people despised Jim Sterling at first because of his commentary + videos. Then by some miracle, the lad really improved and became an astounding member, if not a top tier guy on par with Yahtzee (is that why Yahtzee decided to do a series with him about making rhymes? Lol).

MovieBob is less or more the same. Love em, hate him... you can't deny he's done some incredible work around these parts.
It's really sad to see him go. At least it didn't go down like how Extra Credits went. Anyone remember that contravesty? Ugh .......

Still, he'll be missed. Least he can make a name for himself elsewhere and hopefully pick right back up.
I plan to support Bob by buying his book and watching his content on his site. Whatever happened to Extra credits anyway? I remember there was something about payment and an arm or something.
Alrighty, take a seat my boy. I'll try making this brief but ... *ahem*

It took place around June 28th, 2011... Portnow announced through the show's Twitter account that Theus had a radial tear in her shoulder (likely a separated shoulder) that could potentially end her career. A two-month crowdfund project on RocketHub was created with a goal of $15,000, which eventually raised around $104,000. The crew, overwhelmed at the response, decided to start an independent game publisher with the excess profits.

Around the end of July, The Escapist privately contacted Portnow with a disputing claim for the funds. Alexander Macris, content director for The Escapist and current general manager for Alloy Digital, led the claim and stated the money should have been used to create more episodes of Extra Credits and to compensate parent company Themis Media for donation incentives, such as premium memberships and T-shirts. As a result, Extra Credits broke ties with The Escapist, and after a brief four-week stint posting directly to YouTube, the show was picked up by Penny Arcade's PATV network.

Proof: Extra Credits History [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra_Credits].

So in other words, Extra Credit's main fellow Alex decided to screw the contract over by using the money on a privately owned indie studio instead of improving their show on the website... that they ran. While both sides weren't exactly innocent, at least our CM at the time was very blunt with his reasons / actions while Extra Credit tried looking innocent and pointing fingers.

They lost my respect, and totally dissed all their fans on here without considering what was best. Sure we could just check them out on Youtube, but couldn't Yahtzee, Jim, and whomever else do the same? It's not a matter of where the content lies, but how they perform on the website with the topics relating to the community. If they went to Youtube, their episodes wouldn't revolve around Escapist member's interests. Now I barely if not HARDLY hear anything about Extra Credits anymore. Even one of their main buds left Extra Credits to do their own thing... so yea.
So, EC raises funds for Health reasons, they get more than expected and then they should pay to their employers?

What the fuck is this?
Well, let me put it this way:

They worked for The Escapist. The website you're on helped em out by spreading the word on Theus needing surgery, and would see to it that things worked out such as selling T-shirts and Club Memberships to help this cause. Main guy running Extra Credits promised that any money they earned over $15,000 would be used for the show. It was not going to be used to put cash in Escapist's staff pockets but rather improve their own show, the Extra Credits so it'd benefit the Escapist AND Extra Credits.

What ended up happening was personal greed. Getting over $100,000 can change someone, and in doing so refused to benefit their own show whatsoever. Now I don't know about you, but if I helped (even by a little) someone get a fundraiser going to recover someone's arm but then they earned 4x the cash... but refused to benefit their own show on your website, wouldn't that rub you the wrong way?

When our old Community Manager confronted Portnow, the dude immediately hired lawyers to back him up, along with going right for that personal indie studio. Don't you think it's odd, that rather then talking it out or simply coming to an agreement, that the first response was getting political men to defend your stance? Clearly he never intended on improving Extra Credits nor showing any thanks to The Escapist, which again the staff helped set up that fundraiser and wasn't even asking for the money directly, but to be used wisely for performance / quality improvements on their own show.

Hopefully that cleared up any misunderstandings.
Honestly, that whole debacle caused a big mess. Who was right or wrong in that with regards to Extra Credits specifically is not something that I really can say much about, but I do know finding out that most of the content creators hadn't been paid anything for their work in a really long time made the escapist look pretty untrustworthy, regardless of the exact nature of the issues back then.

Paying the people what you've promised them for the work they did is one of the most basic aspects of running a business ethically.

To find out that wasn't happening raises a lot of questions. Even if there were reasonable excuses for why that was the case, it still doesn't paint a pretty picture of what was going on behind the scenes back then...

Nobuoa Schniell

Jan 23, 2012
I like that Greg Tito response to Escapists audience being "defined" by Yahtzee. "Thankfully I can stop trying to change that now." That's very telling, that he was trying to "change" the Escapist's audience rather than respecting them and developing content for them. Seems like a solid business strategy: rather than give our audience what they want, lets give them what WE want and force them to like it.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Lightknight said:
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/566131050968281088]

"either misinterpreted or intentionally twisted"

He really has no shame or self awareness. Blaming the audience for something he articulated so badly. A man as gifted in the art of communication as he. I am very happy he is gone.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Interesting. I disliked him at times and enjoyed his work other times. I had no idea there was this much resentment built up. I mean, I was surprised he kept getting away with attacking the escapist's audience (which I guess he didn't), but I thought his reviews were enjoyable enough that he'd make it through unscathed.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Whenever I tried to see anything of his, I always got the impression he's kind of a dick, and this was well before GG. Or his content/style just isn't for me. Either way, I wish him good luck, but that patreon video wasn't the best start.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Nobuoa Schniell said:
I like that Greg Tito response to Escapists audience being "defined" by Yahtzee. "Thankfully I can stop trying to change that now." That's very telling, that he was trying to "change" the Escapist's audience rather than respecting them and developing content for them. Seems like a solid business strategy: rather than give our audience what they want, lets give them what WE want and force them to like it.
That comment by Tito really goes a long way in explaining why it seemed like he held the community in such contempt.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I go away for a while to get some shit done, only to come back and find the Escapist sacked Mr. Chipman.

*shrugs*
I've had my issues with some of his works (articles/videos) over the years, but for most of those, I chalked it up to him being hyperbolic or passionate with his opinion.

I didn't really hate his work until he published one particular article that was just shameless PR lip-service for a certain controversial figure, devoid of all honesty and critical authority. Just stopped watching him overtly after that.

He occasionally popped up on the radar or in conversations, though most of that was largely due to him making vile, often hypocritical rants on Twitter (especially during GamerGate).

At most, I'd skim the comments section for one of his videos to see the more interesting things going on there if I was especially bored and caught in down-time, but I never bothered watching/reading his stuff.

Based on what I'm seeing from him and others, it appears his sacking was abrupt and unpleasant, though that is just my speculative take based on skimming. He has a Patreon which surprises absolutely nobody, since that's where all the Internet Critics of the past 6-8 years go once their original port of calling has ousted them.

Given the Escapist's recent hemorraging of content producers, I can't imagine the reason for his departure was pleasant at all. I always figured they needed his traffic.
Huh. We'll see..

Delance

Mar 12, 2011
I used to enjoy a lot more of MovieBob's content. After #GamerGate, he just went ideologically nuts, and his worked suffered. Very few of his latest content was actually good, and even then it was just kinda meh.

The "subhuman" comment, alone, would make anyone get fired on any serious outlet. Much less than that, actually.

Westonbirt

Nov 7, 2013
Delance said:
I used to enjoy a lot more of MovieBob's content. After #GamerGate, he just went ideologically nuts, and his worked suffered. Very few of his latest content was actually good, and even then it was just kinda meh.

The "subhuman" comment, alone, would make anyone get fired on any serious outlet. Much less than that, actually.
I don't remember who said that social media produces lots of conflict and trash because it provides a straight pipeline from people's brain to the world and therefore ideas and comments are not fermented in such a way that their raw emotional spite content is reduced, resulting in lots of emotionally driven trash. The alternative is also to not post whatever passes through your mind.

I guess when you're in a sacred crusade against whichever enemy you want, and that methods don't matter, only targets, it makes things worse.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
Silvanus said:
Karadalis said:
The subhuman comment was targeted at the "dude bro" persona... however "dude bros" are a big part of gaming culture, who after all is buying each and every call of duty, GTA and madden game comming out every year ensuring mind boogling sales numbers and massive profits?

So no, it can still be argued that he insulted gamers. Not all of them, but a significant group with alot of financial power.
It can be argued that he insulted a group of people who overlap with gamers. It cannot be honestly argued that he simply called "gamers" "subhuman".
What's the qualifier for being a "gamer"?

Do the "dudebros" play video games? Yes

Do "gamers" play video games? Yes

Then I'm tempted to say they're gamers and there's nothing wrong with what they do. What is wrong is how the gaming community shuts out certain franchises as being inherently bad, regardless of overall quality. They do the same thing with people, and frankly it's bordering on fascism. Everyone must march in lock step against Call of Duty and Madden, because that's exclusively the domain of the subhuman bastards.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Well, time to throw my hat into this... whatever it is.

I used to really like Bob. After Yahtzee (who I have liked religiously since '08) he was my go to contributor. And yet, I disagreed with him on quite a bit despite that. In fact the first video I saw of his was the "You are all wrong about Suckerpunch" which I still disagree with to this day. But what had me keep coming back was his analyses, which I always appreciated even if some of them were opinions in disagreed with. Then I dug into his archive and some points stuck with me, but in the wrong way. Some of his argument struck me as self-aggrandizing or rather "dickish". But I passed them off as unimportant, as I still enjoyed his content and his smarminess never got in the way of the content like it did with Bill Maher. Until Gamergate happened...

I have quite a few issues with Gamergate as a group (tendency to delve into conspiracy theory territory, lack of real cohesion, etc.) but deep down I still sympathize with them. I never really got past moderate. But my God... so much of what he said was just atrocious and would get someone less important fired. Even discussing Gamergate made you a target, worthy of the same treatment that he decried as barbarous. He saw things in only a black/white dichotomy, simplifying a rather complex issue into an "us vs them" situation. His smugness kept running and running, leaving the likes of Maher in the dust. And because of all this, I could not watch any of his content. I didn't care how interesting his previous stuff was, it just felt... tainted.

Actually, I did come back once, only for him to take a quick swipe at Gamergate and reiterate my distaste for him.

In short: Thanks for the ride Bob, but please don't come back.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
sky14kemea said:
Scorpid said:
Does anyone know how exactly you delete your Escapist account anyway?
Go into "change password"

Open a notepad and smash your head into your keyboard several times.

Copy and paste random mess into password and confirm password field.

Click "Okay".

You have successfully locked yourself out of your account! :D

(This next bit is aimed more at the general userbase, not you)

Seriously, we cannot delete accounts.

I get PMed this maybe once a month.
[HEADING=2]We cannot delete your account![/HEADING]

Ask for a permaban or just delete the Escapist from your bookmarks.
Don't ask for a permaban. Earn it.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
Honestly, I'm not too worried.

For one, Bob will find another venue (probably YouTube) to host his shows. Sure, he'll probably make less money, but he'll endure. I know I'll continue supporting him wherever he goes. Bob is a smart, insightful dude, so it won't be long before he gets his feet under him again.

Secondly, while The Escapist is certainly diminished by his leaving, that doesn't mean it has to stay that way. There's all sorts of quality content creators out there who will contribute their work for peanuts just for the chance at the exposure a site like The Escapist can give them.

So all in all, as much as this transition period might be a little painful for some, it's far from the end for anybody. I'll stick it out until this place up and dies for good, I know that much.

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
Never let it be said that the escapist community doesn't care about MovieBob. Even the people who did not like him felt that they must talk about him.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Saw that coming.

The only people with audiences who are allowed to express strong opinions are comedians. Bob isn't one. He made a lot of enemies recently. The perception at the Escapist is that booting him will stop bad feelings against the site.

My personal impression is that this is a cowardly thing to do. I don't run a website, nor do I answer to advertisers, so I'm trying not to judge. The upshot is I have one less reason to come here.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Nobuoa Schniell said:
Does it ever occur to anyone that when people make comments like that that they actually didn't like the audience they ended up attracting in the long run possibly because they might be very very very toxic. Just saying.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
*sigh* well that's a crying shame for the escapist

I can't say I always liked bobs content since he tended to get overzealous with his political views to the point of cannibalizing his own audience by insulting them, but when there wasn't a serious topic he had tons of interesting and weird stuff to tell me about, I may not agree with him on alot of stuff but still gonna wish him the best of luck...

yeesh yahtzee is about the only reason to even come here anymore, well except for critical miss and feed dump every once in awhile, but I'm worried about the future of the escapist...