MovieBob leaving The Escapist

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Revelo said:
Been seeing on places like Reddit that a lot of people have whitelisted the Escapist as a result of his departure. So hopefully more ad revenue flowing in.
Because those are really the kinds of people I want frequenting a site.

Slayer4472

Sep 1, 2014
KazeAizen said:
Revelo said:
Been seeing on places like Reddit that a lot of people have whitelisted the Escapist as a result of his departure. So hopefully more ad revenue flowing in.
You seem to have overestimated the value of your opinion. Regardless of whether or not you consider those people to be undesirables, they are still paying customers, and the Escapist would be remiss to ignore them just because you won't deign to share the same electrons as them.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Slayer4472 said:
KazeAizen said:
Revelo said:
You seem to have overestimated the value of your opinion. Regardless of whether or not you consider those people to be undesirables, they are still paying customers, and the Escapist would be remiss to ignore them just because you won't deign to share the same electrons as them.
Yeah their money is as green as my money or whatever. There is also something called standards. Hypothetically if I was running the site and I was blacklisted by a radical subset that I consider to be undesirable company I'd try my absolute hardest to make sure I stay on their blacklist because I wouldn't want people like them messing with or mingling with the good customer base I had acquired. Reputation is also a pretty big deal.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
KazeAizen said:
a radical subset that I consider to be undesirable
I love it how you immediately assume that people, who all we really know about is that they disagree with a content creator and so choose to avoid the site they are associated with (which is actually the prevailing opinon here on the escapist re: Mozilla / Ender's Game), are automatically radical and undesirable.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
wulf3n said:
KazeAizen said:
I love it how you immediately assume that people, who all we really know about is that they disagree with a content creator and so choose to avoid the site they are associated with (which is actually the prevailing opinon here on the escapist re: Mozilla / Ender's Game), are automatically radical and undesirable.
Yeah that's a big assumption. Fine. Link me those people then so I can see who they are. If they are who I think they are then yeah I'd want to stay on that particular blacklist.

Slayer4472

Sep 1, 2014
KazeAizen said:
Slayer4472 said:
KazeAizen said:
Revelo said:
Yeah their money is as green as my money or whatever. There is also something called standards. Hypothetically if I was running the site and I was blacklisted by a radical subset that I consider to be undesirable company I'd try my absolute hardest to make sure I stay on their blacklist because I wouldn't want people like them messing with or mingling with the good customer base I had acquired. Reputation is also a pretty big deal.
Eh... I don't think "radical subset" is terribly accurate- I know I've been pussyfooting around the Escapist trying not to click on MovieBob content for nearly as long as I've had this account. The fact of the matter is that MovieBob has been behaving very poorly for a very long time, and I don't blame anyone for attempting to avoid giving him money.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
KazeAizen said:
wulf3n said:
KazeAizen said:
Yeah that's a big assumption. Fine. Link me those people then so I can see who they are. If they are who I think they are then yeah I'd want to stay on that particular blacklist.
Sorry your wrong you can't go blanketing and entire group and user base just because some of the people are scum of the Earth. It's those kind of sweeping statements that this entire mess has a problem with...oon both bloody sides!

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Ralancian said:
Sorry your wrong you can't go blanketing and entire group and user base just because some of the people are scum of the Earth. It's those kind of sweeping statements that this entire mess has a problem with...oon both bloody sides!
And all people do is yell at the teacher for punishing them all instead of say bringing the rest of the classroom in line. That is the bigger problem. That group. Yes that group clad in pink and green. Blanketing that entire group is about the only thing that can be done. If I'm going to be seeing a lot more pink and green avatars here there is only one safe place for me here. Heck they are the only reason I've even bothered staying on this site period.
Slayer4472 said:
Eh... I don't think "radical subset" is terribly accurate- I know I've been pussyfooting around the Escapist trying not to click on MovieBob content for nearly as long as I've had this account. The fact of the matter is that MovieBob has been behaving very poorly for a very long time, and I don't blame anyone for attempting to avoid giving him money.
You mean his Twitter feed right? Where he's about as blunt as a baseball bat to the face. You ever think about listening to understand rather than listen to argue? Believe me I've actually tried that and I still couldn't get on board whatsoever with this subset we are oh so carefully tiptoeing around.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
KazeAizen said:
Ralancian said:
And all people do is yell at the teacher for punishing them all instead of say bringing the rest of the classroom in line. That is the bigger problem. That group. Yes that group clad in pink and green. Blanketing that entire group is about the only thing that can be done. If I'm going to be seeing a lot more pink and green avatars here there is only one safe place for me here. Heck they are the only reason I've even bothered staying on this site period.
ugh you realise your part of the problem right? Both sides have their more moderate people, people who want to talk about the issues and come a consensus.

History shows that if you just ignore an entire group and try marginalise them they just become more radical.

I don't want people in the active discourse who don't want to talk and act holier than thou. All they do is poison the well and we're high deep in shit.l already.

Dr Lizzardo

May 28, 2012
Well he lost me with the Tusk review

How can you do a Review of a movie without seeing the movie.

yet another one of his reviews of late he said he didn't watch the whole movie and that he may of drooped off when watching it.

well if that be the case don't review it, just say that and jam in a heap of trailers with it and let it be as he has done a few time of late.

If you haven't bothered to watch something from start to finish it do a half arsed review it.

just keep YAHTZEE happy or that will be it for me.

Slayer4472

Sep 1, 2014
KazeAizen said:
Slayer4472 said:
Eh... I don't think "radical subset" is terribly accurate-I know I've been pussyfooting around the Escapist trying not to click on MovieBob content for nearly as long as I've had this account. The fact of the matter is that MovieBob has been behaving very poorly for a very long time, and I don't blame anyone for attempting to avoid giving him money.
You mean his Twitter feed right? Where he's about as blunt as a baseball bat to the face. You ever think about listening to understand rather than listen to argue? Believe me I've actually tried that and I still couldn't get on board whatsoever with this subset we are oh so carefully tiptoeing around.
Please excuse me, but I absolutely cannot understand what you're trying to say. Are you disputing that MovieBob has been acting unprofessionally, or that individuals are unjustified in avoiding his content?

EDIT: It's green and purple, not pink and green.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
KazeAizen said:
wulf3n said:
KazeAizen said:
You're giving him an impossible task.

I agree with him. I don't believe most people are so radical to immediately shut off discussion like this, or close off a group of people as "undesirable." On either side of this mess. Do I just have too much faith in people?

You are dehumanizing people for a cause they believe in (though I know you don't see it as a cause worth supporting in any capacity, but rather a movement solely based around harassing women; I'm sorry, but I have to disagree). Stupid or ineffective as you might think their convictions, they're still human.

I don't want to make you angry, or take away what you feel is a safe place. But I'm trying to relate my own experiences to you. Becoming this upset helps no one.

Mythandrevelry

Feb 19, 2015
Ralancian said:
ugh you realise your part of the problem right? Both sides have their more moderate people, people who want to talk about the issues and come a consensus.

History shows that if you just ignore an entire group and try marginalise them they just become more radical.

I don't want people in the active discourse who don't want to talk and act holier than thou. All they do is poison the well and we're high deep in shit.l already.[/quote]

Well, and when we're talking about GG we're talking about a hashtag primarily, and you can't do anything except voice disapproval when someone tweets something incendiary using the tag.

I don't think blanket statements are always out of line. It depends on how large the group is, what its stated ideals are, and in the case of a leaderless consumer revolt, what happens within the spaces where things are organized.

For the most part stuff that's truly beyond the pale is taken care of when its posted on sites like 8chan and Reddit. We're talking dox information, encouragement to harass, etc.

You do see some unpopular opinions and inflammatory posts on places outside of Twitter. Overall this is a strength regardless of how it appears at first glance. Those supporting GG would be absolute hypocrites if they silenced others merely for doing and saying things they dislike, and so people are mostly allowed to say what they want. I've seen some genuine ugliness, but I've also seen people object to it, discuss it, argue with it, etc.

Politically speaking most of the people who support GG aren't that far removed from the writers on games sites who push their politics in their articles. The main point of contention was disagreement over how messages were being spread and how dissent was being silenced. Just as an example, I'd say roughly half the people I've spoken to within GG identify as feminists. There's a huge amount of diversity.

The absurdity here is in thinking of online spaces as if they were physical spaces where structures exist that make it possible to actually set limits on what happens. Online anyone can get involved in something even if they're not welcome into certain communities. If I wanted to, I'm pretty sure I could make a case for fans of the Escapist being a hategroup, or fans of other websites. Not only are you always going to have undesirables in your ranks, you're also going to have third party muckrakers who want nothing more than to burn it all down. (As an example, /baphomet/ - which isn't related to GG - is behind much the harassment that's been blamed on GG as a whole) That's why in these cases you have no other choice, really, than to look for representative samples and to treat individuals as individuals. The only thing GG as a whole can be said to be responsible for is email campaigns and putting pressure on outlets to be more forthcoming with details that would indicate conflicts of interest. (And regarding harassment, people on both sides have been doxed, swatted, etc. We usually don't find out who's responsible, and as far as I'm aware the sources of specific instances has never been publically verified, so my default assumption is that this stuff is the result of opportunistic third parties and are not the actions of GG or the other side.)

So the long and short of it is that there's definitely a discussion to be had. The reason the Escapist is whitelisted is because we've been able to do that here. If this is how the whole thing had been handled it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

And for my part, I'm back and thinking of signing up for the Publisher's Club. I'm certainly not a muckraker. I don't hate women (in fact I wish more women were into the hobby) and I prefer to approach heated topics in a calm and reasoned manner. My boycott of this site ended as soon as the Escapist made it clear that it wouldn't censor people, and with its current push to refocus on what I love about the hobby I'm going to be coming here regularly. I don't have to agree with everyone here all the time to enjoy myself, nor do I need to agree with everything that's posted on this site in order to support it with ad revenue or money from my own pocket. All I ask - and this is true of most people I find - is that I'm not demonized or shut out simply because I disagree with something.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Vigormortis said:
DugMachine said:
DugMachine said:
Sigh. For the umpteenth time: I am not a GamerGate supporter. I do not associate with the movement in any way, shape, or form. I do not claim to speak for GGers, in part or in whole. I wish you'd stop calling me a GGer when speaking to other posters. Please stop lying.

And as for my analogy, how about this: Let's say Bob came out and said, "All movie-goers are subhuman shits!" Would you still be confused why someone, namely a movie-goer, might take offense to his comment?

If not, I don't know what else to say, really. I don't know why you're not getting it, but you really aren't getting it. I don't know if this is due to some willful dishonesty on your part or if it's because you genuinely do not understand the difference between an analogy and a comparison. Either way, I'm done. I have no interest in having a discussion with someone who feigns curiosity and then ignores the replies.[footnote]Especially if that person thinks rational thinking is a bad thing.[/footnote] Or, at worst, twists them into something they aren't so you can embolden or rationalize your original position.

Good day to you.
I now understand why you all are offended but personally I can't be fucked to care. I'm a straight male gamer yet I'm not up in arms over someones comments when they really don't matter. Either way I've grown tired of the topic. I wanted a better understanding of GG and I got it. I found your analogy/comparison whatever silly was all and I have no problem with rational thinking.. that's irrational lol. I was referring more to the self proclaimed enlightened twitter warriors who think their rationale is somehow.. rational even though they're fucking bonkers.

But good day to you as well.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
DugMachine said:
I now understand why you all are offended but personally I can't be fucked to care. I'm a straight male gamer yet I'm not up in arms over someones comments when they really don't matter. Either way I've grown tired of the topic. I wanted a better understanding of GG and I got it. I found your analogy/comparison whatever silly was all and I have no problem with rational thinking.. that's irrational lol. I was referring more to the self proclaimed enlightened twitter warriors who think their rationale is somehow.. rational even though they're fucking bonkers.

But good day to you as well.
Ditto here on not caring about gamergate. Glad you got what you wanted out of this topic. But for future reference, peoples personal opinion's don't affect you, nor yours theirs. I don't know why you need to keep pointing out you are a straight white male gamer while at the same time find a loose social/racial analogy problematic. Perhaps you projected or intuited an agenda that was not being pushed. This is not about Gamergate. It's about how he BEHAVED during gamergate.

Either way, a lot of people feel Bob needs to change his personal policies if he wants to win some of his fans back. That is what I and I feel many of my fellow posters were trying to say. Also I suppose I kinda hope that Bob or friends of Bob read this thread and he understands why people feel the way they do about him. He just needs to prove he has changed.

Pyrolithic

May 2, 2011
Criminy, am I the only one here who enjoys Loading Ready Run's content?

Granted, the site could definitely use some newer video content to offset the recent departures, but it's not as though the only video content left if ZP.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Silvanus said:
Strazdas said:
If you say pirates are bad, it means that pirates are bad, whereas not all humans are pirates. if you say dudebros are bad it means that dudebros are bad whereas not all gamers are dudebros. if you say gamers are bad then you include both dudebros and non-dudebros gamers.
Precisely! And since Bob spoke about "conservabros", not all gamers were included in that.
While that is true for the subhuman quote, he often rants about "gamers" as a whole on twitter.

While no doubt its possible that Subhuman was the last straw, its not like this is all he did. he did enough that even I[footnote]I fee explanation is needed here. i do not give up on shows easily. i pick carefully what im going to watch because if i start watching it im staying there to the end no matter how much the quality will fall or how much of my free time it "Wastes". im obsessive like that and for me to quit a show because of a host behaviuos is probably unique case for bob[/footnote] gave up on him months ago.

Pyrolithic said:
Criminy, am I the only one here who enjoys Loading Ready Run's content?

Granted, the site could definitely use some newer video content to offset the recent departures, but it's not as though the only video content left if ZP.
Shhhh! people who want the site to fail because their darling got fired cannot deal with someone likeable still making content on this site (yatzee does not count because they think he isnt likeable)

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Strazdas said:
While that is true for the subhuman quote, he often rants about "gamers" as a whole on twitter.
Could I get a quote?

Whenever this has been said, it's always turned out to be some instance of him saying something else, related to a specific subset of people or something, and people have just filled in the rest themselves.

Strazdas said:
While no doubt its possible that Subhuman was the last straw, its not like this is all he did. he did enough that even I gave up on him months ago.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people objecting to his language, his tone, the stuff he's said.

I just feel that when people cast it as an attack on gamers, they're imagining that we're all being insulted here, when... well, it's just not the case, really. Wilful misinterpretation some of the time, unintentional the rest.