MovieBob Predicts the (Near) Future of Movies

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob Predicts the (Near) Future of Movies

Only time will tell whether these educated guesses about upcoming movies are right or wrong.

Read Full Article

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
In regards to Han potentially dying, you might have a bit there. If only (Based on conjecture) with how Harrison's been getting hurt during the production and the subsequent delaying of the movie because of it.

Jan 12, 2012
@Scrumpmonkey (Sorry, the quoting feature is broken now for some reason for me): I am. I think a lot of Bob's articles must come in just under the while, because they often have a number of formatting, spelling and grammatical errors.

I think Cumberbatch would make a good Doctor Strange if they can convince him to smile a bit. A lot of these seem pretty reasonable.

However, I disagree that they'll bring the new Avengers to the fore just yet. I think they'll finish the Avengers trilogy they have planned by phasing out Chris Evans and anyone else who wants out, then take a few standalone pictures to test what characters people respond to. I agree that Civil War seems like a good place to take the MCU, but to do that they have to establish superheroes as widespread vigilantes, rather than an elite team already controlled by the world government/whoever is going to run the Avengers now.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
MovieBob said:
They also have to know that you can't build the entire action-heavy movie -- to say nothing of an entire new trilogy -- on the adventures of a trio of 60-70 year-old actors.
The Expendables 3 says "hi".

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm 100% all for Ms. Marvel showing up and getting her due, but the whole "politics" theme behind having her at all, i.e. it's not that she's interesting or beloved, it's just that she's a woman and Marvel wants to beat DC in the progressive championing game, is made even more baffling - almost honestly nauseating if it weren't also kind've fascinatingly ironic - by the suggestion that her original title which branded her as simply a distaff counterpart for a male hero has been officially and notably broken to give her the "Captain" title and make her more progressive and independent, only to now possibly give her back "Ms." and making that the progressive point by focusing mainly on the fact that she's a woman.

It's like why He-Man, TMNT, or Power Rangers exist in their most remembered forms - it's a net-positive that they exist because they're entertaining/have interesting mythos or dynamics/represent a different culture or viewpoint, but their true purpose - appealing to market-testing and being toy commercials - sullies the legitimate joy you get out of them.

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
Pyrian said:
MovieBob said:
They also have to know that you can't build the entire action-heavy movie -- to say nothing of an entire new trilogy -- on the adventures of a trio of 60-70 year-old actors.
And those movies kind of prove his point. But, at the same time, the reason why those movies more or less work as well as it does in order to make a profit, it's really all about the nostalgia of seeing all of your favorite action heroes doing action hero-y things in an all-star action hero movie.

Things might be a little bit different for Star Wars.

But the whole Han Solo dying thing...ugh! Is this going to be another Mystery Box thing? Coz', I'm not sure if I can handle another one of those after the thing that was Into Darkness.

Actually, now just thinking about it, it might actually be a dumber mystery thing than that...

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Ok, I hate to be That Guy - I really do - but Bob's sloppy editing is really starting to grate with me. Especially since I'm actually trying to find work as a writer or editor, it's maddening that he's actually being paid to make basic errors that even a little proofreading would pick up on. He persistently gets "its" and "it's" wrong; in his Intermission about Marvel continuity gags he left a placeholder [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/11846-4-Marvel-Universe-Continuity-Gags-We-Actually-Want-to-See] instead of actually saying which years Walt Simonson wrote Thor, and it's just generally haphazard.

Here, he uses "you're" when it should be "your" (Basically, you're guesses get better) - when you get it that way around you're genuinely not even trying any more - and as Scrumpmonkey mentioned, the insertion of the link into the first page of this article is pretty inept.

And breathe. Like I said, I don't mean to be critical, but this sort of thing just drives me mad, and Bob does it all the time.

Steven Schuster

Apr 3, 2010
What if Harrison Ford didn't break his leg and it's all a cover up for the scene in the movie where Han gets pulled out on a stretcher and later dies?

skullberry

Jul 3, 2014
*Possible Spoiler comment*

According to this site, on the credited cast list, it seems there is no mention to a character resembling a Ms.Marvel/Carol Danvers. But there is a mention of Howard the Duck, tho :p

Here's the link:

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-guardians-of-the-galaxy-cameos-71908/

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Pyrian said:
MovieBob said:
You have an evil sense of humor! :)

I thought 2 really disappointed in stupid ways but hope springs eternal. I can't wait for 3.

Most shudder inducing prediction: that awful Death of Superman idea.

The only thing I've seen or heard that has me even a little excited is Afleck in the Batman suit.

DC has really got to step up its game. How can they be so much better at cartoons than Marvel, yet be choking so badly on the big screen?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
MovieBob said:
So. A few weeks back, HitFix's Drew McWeeny drew some professional flack for (seemingly) giving up a major, major, MAJOR spoiler about the (possible) fate of one of the key Avengers. (Seriously, think twice before you click that.) The spoiler in question mostly drew attention because of how it mirrors a major recent comics storyline focused on one specific character

As a reader of comics, it can only be really one thing considering you mention it as a prelude to Civil War and it sure as shit ain't house of M...

Still if it's what I think it is, I banked on it. There is not much else fun they can do with him

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
MovieBob said:
2. SUPERMAN WILL "DIE" IN BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE
Yes! I want to see Superman die!
In fact... Hey, Bob! Will you ever do a Big Picture about Doomsday and the death of Superman?

WaltIsFrozen

Apr 11, 2014
Anachronism said:
Ok, I hate to be That Guy - I really do - but Bob's sloppy editing is really starting to grate with me.
Considering that he's the most prolific contributor to this site, I'd be inclined to cut him a little slack. Besides, the occasional grammar mistake is hardly the only thing sloppy about the Escapist. I've seen formatting errors on the homepage up for an entire day, numerous videos and podcasts with "I'll edit this part out later...", I've had the forum crash in my iOS browser, etc. Personally, I think the whole site needs a much stricter editorial voice and the backend needs to be rewritten from the ground up.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
If these predictions all came true, I would either hail Bob as a prophet, or accuse him of sorcery. What I'd like to know is what's going to replace S.H.I.E.L.D.? I would like to nominate the Sentient World Observation and Response Department, a.k.a. S.W.O.R.D.
http://marvel.wikia.com/S.W.O.R.D._(Earth-616)

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
@Darth_Payn, S.H.I.E.L.D. is being rebuilt. S.W.O.R.D. already exists in the MCU, and it's function is pretty clear: they handle outer space stuff. They are humanity's S.W.O.R.D., fending off the external, while S.H.I.E.L.D. handles the internal. Apart from sharing a few spaceships I don't see them being anything more then the FBI is the the CIA.

Unrelated: how is it that we are 18 comments in an no one mentioned the fact that Bob wrote "Kirk dies" instead of "Spoke dies"? I'm disappointed in you guys.

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
1. I've seen the spoiler he's talking about and I hate myself for it I really thought it wouldn't be so bad, since most of these huge spoilers are total bullshit or just that some character will make an appearance that we didn't know would be in the movie or some character will have a new costume.

I could see a civil war setup due to all the damage from the Ultron battle but it could also just cause a backlash against all the heroes and we could see all the avengers going into hiding.

2. This would be extremely awesome and WB does seem to like dark endings, but killing off a big name character would be risky and require some planning on WBs part and I don't think they have it planned out that far.

3. I don't know who Benedict Cumberbatch is and I don't have any invested interest in who plays DR. Strange

4. I could not care less about this slow motion trainwreck of a movie.

5. I so hope they are making a CAPTAIN Marvel, I don't really get why Bob thinks two movies with captain in the title would be problem, also naming it "girl superhero the movie" is way to obvious, throw in the old Ms. Marvel costume is way to impractical for a movie too. I think we will see a reference to her in GOTG but I think we'll see a DR. Strange post credit since his movie his movie will probably be next.

6. Pretty much a given maybe not in 7 but eventually, and I bet Luke will die too. Only question is if Han goes out in a blaze of glory or if Luke pulls an Obi Wan first. Leiah's probably the only one who will survive only because her death would have the smallest emotional effect of the original trio.

JacobiGalt

Jul 19, 2014
You know what I'm thinking, I think it'll be Luke who gets killed off in Ep 7. And since I can't help but notice that Bob is far from the only one 'calling' that Han will likely buy it I think killing Luke would not only be the more unexpected but the braver choice as well. Since the ending to 'Return of the Jedi' implied that all was right with the world now that Luke had become a Jedi and defeated the Emperor it would make it 100% clear that shit was well and truly still fucked if that rosy future from Ep6 was thrown into chaos by losing its centerpiece. It might also set up some version of Jacen Solo's arc from the EU, and give them a chance to do properly what they failed spectacularly to do with Anakin. Think about it, they bring in one or two hotshot new Jedi apprentices, one of whom is Jacen Solo, then in the big finale the man who is not only their kind and benevolent master but also THE ONLY JEDI MASTER IN THE GALAXY gets capped before he can teach them everything (sound familiar) now suppose we have two young Jedi introduced one to follow in the master's footsteps, and one to turn to the dark side due to lack of direction.