MovieBob's Best Of 2009

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob's Best Of 2009

MovieBob lists his Top Ten films of 2009.

Read Full Article

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Interesting choices. I would probably not pick Watchmen to be at the top but oh well. This year was kinda meh for movies.

Feb 13, 2008
I'd have picked similar for the top 4. This years not been blessed, but next year...

A number of films that are either god-awful turkeys or genius. (The A-Team, Tron 2, Iron Man 2 etc.)

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
oliveira8 said:
Interesting choices. I would probably not pick Watchmen to be at the top but oh well. This year was kinda meh for movies.
heresy watchmen was one of the best films of all time, I think that it is a brilliant list.

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
I haven't seen several of these movies unfortunately, but I know that a couple film major friends have serious crushes on Watchmen, so I'm not wont to disagree. Also, props for making Sarah Palin into a term for "piece of crap" as it ought to be.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
So.......it was either Avatar or District 9 on the list, huh? I guess I have to agree on that. I mean, Avatar is one of MY top ten for '09, but District 9 is my #1 (Watchmen is in my top 5, but I can't decide). I guess the all roo familiar story and archetypical? characters kinda kept it from completely blowing me away. I would've hoped fo a few more unexpected twists in the story.

Apr 28, 2008
Nice list, basically what I had.

Granted my worst movie was Transplosions: Explosion of the Exlosions Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

I never bothered to watch The Blind Side, mainly because it just seems so damn predictable and cliché.

And the top 3, I have the same movies, although not in that particular order.

Distorted Stu said:
Blindside? No Jennifers body?
Jennifer's Body was probably worse, but it just petered off and died, and we won't have to hear of it again.

Blindside we will have to deal with it for a while, which is why I'm guessing he's saying its the worst.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
I'd disagree with Watchmen, but that's just because it ddn't feel right to me. It was good, but I just couldn't enjoy it after the book. The voices seemed wrong, everything just seemed ... off somehow. Probably just me though, seeing how everyone else seemed to enjoy it.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Good list. Watchmen seems to be a really polarising film. People who like it love it and those who dn't seem to hate it. It's got lots of really good 10/10 reviews and some poor ones too. I would put Watchmen as my #1 as well.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Heh, you might want to see his Star Trek review before you ask that Xanthious.

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
You know, the list spoke to me up until the Watchmen. I went in hoping to absolutely adore the film, even cracked out a deliciously hair brained scheme to sneak in an under-seventeen friend and fan (which actually proved more entertaining than the movie). But by the time the credits rolled, we were both just left with a sense of... meh?

I've honestly never seen a movie so badly raped, broken, and pissed on by it's own music direction. There were a few bright moments, the chilling sort dissonance during the Comedian's murder scene, the opening montage, etc. But others... others just erupted into horrific movie holocausts, that damn protracted Hallelujah scene, All Along the Watchtower breaking all the immersion during the Artic ride (dammit, I don't care if the song was quoted at the chapter preface, the lyrics had relevance, the tone of the song does not!).

It's a shame really, as I love most of the music used on their own individual merits. Also... it seems as though the things meant to lend its R-rating, were the most artificial and cheap. Yay, so the curse about three times as much as they do in the actual novel. I'm not anti-swear word or anything, but use a curse to give a sentence shock value, if a statement is already loaded with weight and gravitas, then throwing in a curse word takes all of the bite out of it. And they would give the most ridiculously brutal fight scene, to the two campiest characters. I mean really, only one good bloody romp for Rorschach, but Nite Owl and Silk Spectre are breaking necks and delivering compound fractures? No. If you want to highlight brutality, add those visceral effects to Rorschach's apartment brawl.

*Sigh* off the soapbox now. Yeah, I just can't see Watchmen as number one, and only in a seriously apologetic mood can I put it in the top five.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I would have definetly put Avatar higher up there.

Although do agree on worst film!

Dr Happypills

Dec 21, 2009
[quoteAll Along the Watchtower breaking all the immersion during the Artic ride (dammit, I don't care if the song was quoted at the chapter preface, the lyrics had relevance, the tone of the song does not!).

I agree that it pulled you out of the movie, but for me personally it did it in an interesting way. It made me feel a little sad and melancholic, because I knew the ride was coming to an end just when the relationship dynamic was at its best. The ending always hits me hard because Rorshach and Night Owl develop an almost-sort-of-kinda buddy cop vibe by the end, and I know whats coming.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Incredible how you named The Blind Side the worst movie of the year. Well, whatever, that was a good list either way.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I wanted Watchmen to be a miniseries, because I still don't think it was a good idea to just cram everything together like that.

So I didn't really enjoy Watchmen that much but if I would pick any movie to be the "most important film of 2009" - it would be Watchmen. Maybe District 9 too.