MovieBob's Best Of 2009

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
Bob, you're great, and I share your respect for the impossible task of making "Watchmen" into a bearable film, but the best one of the year? Sure, it had a lot of cool gore and sex, and for someone like me, that's really all that matters, but as a movie, I just feel it didn't work.
Still, awesome list.
And Rorschach is fucking sweet.

Gottsmik

May 20, 2009
I would put Paranormal Activity and Drag Me to Hell in there just because they weren't your standard hollywood horror-gore movie. Coraline also deserves a Gottsmik-aprroved stamp.

Also I find Inglourious Basterds glouriously overrated.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I would have put UP as number one no question. But then again, I hated watchman, most likely because I hated the graphic novel too, so I wasn't really giving it a chance.

PopperThingi

Mar 25, 2009
It seems odd to me that in your review, you said that District 9 was the "best film of summer 2009" and you rank it below Up, that was released in that time.
And "Up" is the best film of 2009. And you should have given an honorary mention to Avatar. It is a super break trough in film making, be it an amazing film or just a good one.

Still, Pixar rule. Just "Partially Cloudy" (the short before Up, if you haven't seen it) was better than most of the films made this year.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
It seems you neglected to watch the Hurt Locker, which was by far better than all of these movies combined and multiplied by 10. I've actually seen a majority of those on the list and enjoyed all the ones I saw. Fantastic Fox should be higher on the list, and I actually just got back from Up in the Air and I really enjoyed it. And the Informant was better than Watchmen in my opinion.

But seriously, the Hurt Locker is best film of the year but I'm guessing you didn't see it so you can't really rate a movie you haven't seen.

Casual Shinji said:
Oi, you forgot Let The Right One In.
Came out last year, friend. I actually loved that movie and would probably have put it as the best film of 2008.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Bugger. I've seen most of those. Interesting choices, but then, it has been a really fantastic year for cinema. Fantastic Mr Fox, Up, District 9, Avatar, Watchmen, Where the Wild Things Are, Drag Me to Hell, Bad Lieutenant, Coraline, 2012, Boondock Saints II, Zombieland, and GI Joe just to name the familiar ones, not to mention the untold names...

Good year.

Versipellis

Jul 29, 2009
Did you have the misfortune of seeing All About Steve? Another blonde!Sandra Bullock movie that is creepy and awkward and horribly cast and ... BAD. Oooh my word.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I'm surprised you didn't put New Moon as your worst movie. Everything you said defined your choice as worst movie could also have been used to define why New Moon is so bad.

"Blind Side, on the other hand, is the kind of treacly, sentimental awfulness that manages to sucker enough people into falling for it that it weeds its way into the popular culture and doesn't go away for years. A clichéd, condescending brew of feel-good nonsense that retrofits a potentially fascinating story........ inexplicably popular bucket of fluff getting by on make-believe "folksy" sincerity and cynical superficial pandering to the "wholesome, old-fashioned values" crowd. It's the Sarah Palin of motion pictures."

Come on, am I the only one who thinks that sounds a hell of a lot like New Moon? But then if you did make it your choice of worst of 2009 the twilight fan backlash would have been immense so I can understand his desire to not subject himself to their whining.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Okay, might as well do this at least ONCE...

Regarding any and all of the following films: "Coraline," "Brothers," "Observe & Report," "Drag Me to Hell," "Hurt Locker," "Ponyo," "Paranormal Activity," "Bad Lieutenant" and "Invictus;" if it was a top TWENTY list, they'd have made it.

Callus

Dec 26, 2009
I liked the begining of the Brothers Bloom, but it went down hill for me after that and by the end could have cared less about what happened to any of them. I had seen several reviews on how good it was, but it didn't really do anything for me.

I thought district 9 was ok, but nothing spectacular and I didn't quite hate Transformers 2 as much as Bob did. I sort of liked the new Star Trek this coming from someone who has seen every episode of the Original, TNG, DS9, Enterprise and most of Voyager.

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
MovieBob said:
3.) District 9
I believe a rather audacious scoffing on my part is in order here.

Gee, talk about a movie who's chief failing is encouraging you to think upon the subject matter it presents, only for you to figure out that you've just been handed a rather pretentious plate of bull crap.

The Big Eye

Truth-seeking Tail-chaser
Aug 19, 2009
Wait, wait. Sam Rockwell was in Hitchhiker's Guide, Matchstick Men and Galaxy Quest? Before knowing that, I could have made a convincing case that they were all different people. Awesome people.

That said, I haven't seen Moon. May yet still at some point, though.

Now, I'm not a comics buff, and, more to the point, haven't read the original series, but I don't think Watchmen deserved that place. Judged by its own merits, it's a great movie until the third act. I could almost pinpoint the minute when my opinion of the movie went from "great" to "pretty good" to "Zack Snyder must die."
Mostly, it's the bloody damn twist at the end. That "master plan" the villain-type unveiled - who's supposed to be a fairly clever dude - just made me want to bash my head against something a few dozen times. THE COLD WAR DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! And killing Rorschach at the end to " 'keep' the 'secret' 'safe' " just drove the wallbanger stake ever deeper into my mind. My favourite character dies stupidly, the actual politics of the Cold War are thrown out the window, and the guy wearing purple, my second favourite colour, is evil (but sort of not!) for some reason. And he has a +3 Funky Dog of Irrevelance.

Sigh. I need a drink.

copycatalyst

Nov 10, 2009
Of course, anybody can agree and disagree about choices and positions on a top ten list. What I would take issue with is this statement instead:

this will cover what I'd like to think of as the middle ground between "stuff I liked best" and "stuff that objectively was the best."
I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as objective superiority when it comes to movies (or games, books, or anything for that matter): it's all subjective.