MovieBob's Best Of 2009

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I have only seen about half of those, but the ones I have seen I completely agree with their presence on the list

Mr. Shoggoth

Jul 29, 2009
This seems like a great list. I'm a bit disappointed that you never reviewed A Serious Man. I mean, that seems like it deserves an episode more than that obscure ninja movie you already reviewed.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
That lisst a a lot of movies that I meant to see (Mr. Fox, The informant!, District 9, Moon), but didn't get around to due to friends not wanting to see them. I can see Myself argeeing with alot of, except Inglorious, Wich I'm not sure if I liked or not, there was stuff in it that could be seen as very clever and subversive, or self-indulgent and immature (although I've been leaning more to the former the more I think about it). And Watchmen, which I really didn't like.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
I honestly feel like I'm the only one who went to go see Pirate Radio. I realize that it's not exactly Academy Award Material, but the movie is downright fun without needing any of the following key words:
Campy, Heartwarming, Family Friendly.

The movie felt like it was almost a mockumentary about a bunch of guys out on boat, and it managed to show me why humor surrounding awkward moments has ever worked at all (instead of just being stupid and awkward in many movies.)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
District 9 =)

saw it with the girl, didn't know what to expect really but the movie was amazing

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
The Big Eye said:
Wait, wait. Sam Rockwell was in Hitchhiker's Guide, Matchstick Men and Galaxy Quest? Before knowing that, I could have made a convincing case that they were all different people. Awesome people.

That said, I haven't seen Moon. May yet still at some point, though.

Now, I'm not a comics buff, and, more to the point, haven't read the original series, but I don't think Watchmen deserved that place. Judged by its own merits, it's a great movie until the third act. I could almost pinpoint the minute when my opinion of the movie went from "great" to "pretty good" to "Zack Snyder must die."
Mostly, it's the bloody damn twist at the end. That "master plan" the villain-type unveiled - who's supposed to be a fairly clever dude - just made me want to bash my head against something a few dozen times. THE COLD WAR DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! And killing Rorschach at the end to " 'keep' the 'secret' 'safe' " just drove the wallbanger stake ever deeper into my mind. My favourite character dies stupidly, the actual politics of the Cold War are thrown out the window, and the guy wearing purple, my second favourite colour, is evil (but sort of not!) for some reason. And he has a +3 Funky Dog of Irrevelance.

Sigh. I need a drink.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

I wouldn't be upset at the plot, considering that the plot is what made this the 1984 of Comic Books.

Valdez Leel

Dec 26, 2009
A good selection. One thing I never got about District 9 was while everybody mentioned racism and apartheid in relation to the film no one, as far as I could see, discussed immigration as an issue that the film was exploring.

The economic and social collapse of neighbouring Zimbabwe has resulted in South Africa being flooded by refugees, many of whom are desperate and starving. In response the government has hearded these refugees into camps not dissimilar from District 9 and done their level best to keep them isolated from the rest of populus.

And if you think about it the film works much better as an allegory for that issue than it does for the problems surrounding apartheid. I mean in order to be an effective allegory for apartheid surely the humans would have to go over to the alien planet, take their land and impose racial segregation upon the aliens?

Just some brain food.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I agree with bobs "best of" list, but calling The Blind Side the worst movie of the decade... I don't get it. It was a true story after-all, so you're calling someones own life a shitsack of cliche'd-ness. Nice.

The Big Eye

Truth-seeking Tail-chaser
Aug 19, 2009
Supp said:
The Big Eye said:
Now, I'm not a comics buff, and, more to the point, haven't read the original series, but I don't think Watchmen deserved that place. Judged by its own merits, it's a great movie until the third act. I could almost pinpoint the minute when my opinion of the movie went from "great" to "pretty good" to "Zack Snyder must die."
Mostly, it's the bloody damn twist at the end. That "master plan" the villain-type unveiled - who's supposed to be a fairly clever dude - just made me want to bash my head against something a few dozen times. THE COLD WAR DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! And killing Rorschach at the end to " 'keep' the 'secret' 'safe' " just drove the wallbanger stake ever deeper into my mind. My favourite character dies stupidly, the actual politics of the Cold War are thrown out the window, and the guy wearing purple, my second favourite colour, is evil (but sort of not!) for some reason. And he has a +3 Funky Dog of Irrevelance.

Sigh. I need a drink.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

I wouldn't be upset at the plot, considering that the plot is what made this the 1984 of Comic Books.
Partly plot, partly visual style, partly symbolism, partly a lot of things, right?
All I'm saying (okay, not all) is that either Alan Moore completely failed to understand anything about the Cold War beyond that there were Americans and Russians and Vietnam in it, or that he did manage to create a plausible Cold War alternate history scenario that was then glossed over or outright ignored by Zack Snyder in the movie adaptation. Either way, it made me a great deal more angry than I usually get about movies.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
I would of found room for Coraline and Observe & Report on that list somewhere.

I really love those movies.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
AkJay said:
I agree with bobs "best of" list, but calling The Blind Side the worst movie of the decade... I don't get it. It was a true story after-all, so you're calling someones own life a shitsack of cliche'd-ness. Nice.
Just because a movie's based on a true story doesn't make it good. Nor does saying a movie based on a true story is shit equal calling someone's life shit, especially since in an adaptation of anything to film (truth or fiction) some events are going to be changed around for narrative purposes (see: "Public Enemies", or any movie based on real events ever). Therefore, Bob's saying that "The Blind Side" trivializes what was an interesting real story by turning it into sippy-cup level tripe is a comment on the movie, and only that.

Anyway, back to the list: I think the only thing I can disagree on is "Watchmen." Tonally, that movie was all over the place, and most of the time, that tone was off. The scenes that were supposed to be horrific induced giggles in the audience I saw it with, while the scenes that were supposed to be darkly comical were given the most dramatic weight (and fell flat). The selection of music and the slow-mo gimmick were jarring, and the movie deflated the big twist (one of the greatest twists in literature, comic book or otherwise) by having a terrible actor mumble Ozymandias' dialogue into a run-on sentence. Zack Snyder might have had the guts to tackle the project, but he tore out the heart and intelligence in favor of his fetish for gore and music videos. Oh, and he should have just cast Josh Brolin to play the Comedian, instead of wasting money doctoring up the "Grey's Anatomy" guy to look like Brolin with crappy-looking makeup.

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
awh very good list, and someone wrote up there "no star trek?"
i laughed so much when i saw that.

thanks for the list Bob!
guess i have to go watch Moon. only one i havent seen

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
Can't really find a whole lot to yell at, although from what I hear The Informant! was also one of the year's most polarizing films (I know people that absolutely hated it). Haven't seen that or Moon (damn it, where the hell is the DVD release of it?), but everything else I think deserves to go on this list.

And also, to All hail Christopher Johnson? Hells. To. The. Yeah.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Marohen said:
MovieBob said:
3.) District 9
I believe a rather audacious scoffing on my part is in order here.

Gee, talk about a movie who's chief failing is encouraging you to think upon the subject matter it presents, only for you to figure out that you've just been handed a rather pretentious plate of bull crap.
Not that funny, most movies that encourage you to think and dwell on the subject matter are described by somebody somewhere (who 'doesn't get it') as a pretentious plate of bullcrap.

Beat the hell out of Avatar though.

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
I disagree on Watchmen, out of all the movies on this list that I've seen, and I would toss Zombieland in there.

Watchmen was good, but not #1 good--although of course I realize you said yourself that it was largely a personal thing for you. It simply felt too rushed for me, too much content crammed in to make it awesome. But it was good, no mistake--and I read the picture book (=P fantastic graphic novel, I meant) and everything before watching it.

As for Zombieland, I personally liked it more than Inglourious Basterds by a very narrow margin, but I still put it lower on my list because I think the overall construction of the package is better in Tarantino's flick. Those would be in my top five, too. But number one?

I don't know, tough call. This was a good year for movies. Good list, MovieBob.

white-hole

Nov 21, 2009
No "The hurt locker"? Pah! disappointment. Well, I guess thats inevitable, can't agree with everything.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
The Informant? Really, Moviebob? And here I thought we shared some similar tastes in movies. The Informant was the first movie I ever walked out on, and that was after an hour of terrible acting, terrible cinematography, and absolutely no point in the story. I honestly can't say a single good thing about it.

Maybe these types of movies aren't my thing. You know, the types that pseudo-stylistic way of zooming in on random objects and panning around the room without any real purpose other than to try to show the world how brilliant you are at manouvering the camera around the dreadfully boring forced humour going on in front of them.

Of course, it might have just been the Cameraman's way of keeping from falling asleep.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Damn right Watchmen got the #1.

They got EVERY scene from the comic, with exception to how Rorsach got his mask, and they changed the ending for the better (more logical in the long run)

Now I'd probably move down the list from inglorious basterds down one, and replace that spot with UP (making it #4) I agreed fully with the list.

I'm also happy you didn't do the "Oh it's Transformers" and jump on a bandwagon of hating Micheal Bay (Well justified, but alas his shit is so obvious that pointing it out changes nothing) and mentioned another movie.