Movies/shows where they don't kill the badguy/convert him. (Spoilers obviously)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So, enter this thread at your own risk, the entire point of this discussion is to talk about what would ultimately be the climax of a movie/tv show, which is obviously majorly spoilery. So, if you don't like spoils, ,maybe don't look at this thread, because something as minor as just NAMING a movie, will spoil things, given the title of the thread. You have been warned. *dramatic music with lightning and thunder*

So I was just randomly thinking about a movie, that had come up in reference elsewhere, and one thing that stuck out, was how they ended the film. It was a standard hero action flick, with a Big Bad Guy that is trying to Rule the World, and a Reluctant Hero, Destined to Stop Him, but against trope, they didn't end up killing the bad guy. No, instead, they were able to talk him down, and, if not bring him to the good side, at the very least, make him realize that his plan was misguided, and built on a lie. And I found I REALLY enjoyed seeing that. It was such a refreshing change of pace. That film, was Aquaman. And I was just not expecting them to go this route with the ending. Looking back however, on how they presented Arthur's character, it makes total sense. He's very non-violent, non-confrontational, from the very beginning. He doesn't want to get involved in anything with the hero stuff, his home of Atlantis, etc. He just wants to go fishing, live with his dad, toss back some brews at the local pub, and at most, get into an enthusiastic selfie session with biker fanboys (which was my favorite moment in the entire film really). They play up the "I don't want my heritage" angle a lot, but while that is usually tied to being angry with the world tied to the heritage, which he is, I think it's also just a lot to do with his personality. Dealing with Atlantis, means fighting, he doesn't like to fight. He's GOOD at fighting, but how he is presented in Aquaman, it's not something he really enjoys much. So when it comes time for him to fight his brother, he doesn't kill him, he just keeps him busy long enough for his mother to show up, and prove to him that the entire motivation for his war, was wrong. And it works!

So it got me thinking, what other stories, movie or tv, did they go against type for an action film, and either just convince the badguy to stop, or actually get them to come over to the good side? Because it's WAY more common for movies to just use death as the resolution to the conflict, and I find that somewhat boring most of the time. It doesn't actually establish any statement about the conflict, just who had the better physical traits in a battle. Might Makes Right basically.

So yeah, what examples can you think of that use this method of resolution? To save us some time, I'll say we probably all, already know about Star Wars (converting Vader) , and Avatar: The Last Airbender. :D Any other examples you got? I'd be curious to hear them.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Spiderman 2's Doc Oc was an alright one.
Prison Break series did it a lot too, like a stealth anime. There are many more, am sure, but brain is currently fuzzy from an unfortunate influx of insobriety last night. šŸ˜”

Reactions: happyninja42

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Ultraman Cosmos does something like this
Chaos Header, the big bad of the series and was created to bring order, it's ultimately seeing the best way of doing that is for every being to become one, by bringing them under its control (causing it to possess a lot of Monsters and Aliens.) realizing the creature in some sick way is well-intentioned, Cosmos is ultimately able to make the villain see reason, connecting with its inner good and convince it to stop its Crusade.

It's a very weird way to end a tokusatsu show, but it fits with the theme of violence not always being the solution the show was running with.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
"Where they don't kill/convert HIM?" What about "her" as well, you bigot. :p

Anyway, if we're defining this as "movies/shows were the antagonist isn't killed, and is converted to the 'good side,' then I guess I can nominate:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
-Farscape: Arguably Crais, but debatable. If Farscape has a main antagonist, it's more Scorpius, and he certainly isn't "converted" by the end, nor can he just be called "a bad guy." But Crais is set up as the primary antagonist for the first season and at least some of the second, and he gives his life at the end of season 3 to aid the heroes. That said, is he 'converted?" Debatable. I think Crais is a kind of fascinating character in that by the end of his run, I don't know if it's fair to say that he's become a good person, but more, he wants the recognition of being a hero - to be perceived as being a good person, regardless as to whether he actually is. That said, his final speech is badass. Godspeed, you magnificent bastard.

-The Librarians redeems the antagonist of its fourth and final season, but...well, TBH, I kind of hate this aspect. Like, season 4 is my favourite season of the show, but the redemption angle? No. Not every villain needs redemption.

-My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: I've argued that this show actually redeems too many of its villains. ANd yes, I know that this is a show where the "magic of friendship" is a literal force, and that it's a kids show, and that it's expected that redemption is a more common end than being outright defeated, but, okay, fine. Discord, Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer, Luna, and Trixie all get redemption arcs, and that's just off the top of my head.

-Once Upon a Time: So, this is kind of iffy, as while there's certainly antagonists, there's not really a core antagonist to the show. Not unless you buy that up to the penultimate season, pretty much everything was due to the Black Fairy or some nonsense. But simlar to MLP, I'm iffy about this show's willingness to redeem its villains. Here, it's arguably even worse, because death is very, VERY rare in MLP, while here...well, Regina, Zelena, Rumple...they kill a lot of people. A. Lot. And yet all are redeemed by the end. But yeah, they don't die, and they do get redeemed, so fine, there you go. You can even throw in Ivy there if you want, even though I feel she gets short changed.

(There's more, but I'm out of time. If I come back, I can start with the P's.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Digimon had this come up several times, but there were still some villains that still die if they are irredeemable or complete monsters.

Batman Beyond - 10 (Melanie) and Jack from the Royal Flush gang. Harley Quinn. She grows to be a grandmother.

Ben 10 Alien Force - Kevin 11 and the High Breed leader.

Jackie Chan Adventures - Toru.

Daredevil - Both the film and Netflix TV series.

Sailor Moon - Some villains in S or Super S. I can't remember, it's been too long.

Yu Yu Hakusho - Hiei. He did start as a villain similar to Vegeta.

Power Rangers in general.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
You're a human-looking female, well good news, you get to live. except if your name Trakeena.
Wait, Trakeena was "good looking?" I mean, didn't think dinosaurs had a thing for insect women, but hey, YMMV I guess.

Anyway, starting with the P's, and Power Rangers:

-Power Rangers: Tenya 7 (no doubt there's other examples, but she's the one that comes to mind)

-Star Wars: Kylo Ren (I mean, Vader is listed in the OP, so I guess his grandson comes to mind, hackneyed as said redemption was)

...huh, there's less after P than I thought.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Every shounen anime in the Goddamn world.

A bit of a joke, but its crazy how often villains, no matter how insane or evil they are portrayed, end up becoming part of the main cast as good guys. I can understand not wanting to waste good or popular villains, but man sometimes it just makes you roll your eyes.

The biggest offender would be Naruto I'd say. The nine tailed fox becomes a good guy, Pain becomes a good guy, Obito becomes a good guy, Orochimaru, Itachi, Sasuke, etc. Hell it's easier to list the villains who DIDN'T become good guys.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The biggest offender would be Naruto I'd say. The nine tailed fox becomes a good guy, Pain becomes a good guy, Obito becomes a good guy, Orochimaru, Itachi, Sasuke, etc. Hell it's easier to list the villains who DIDN'T become good guys.
It's why I hate Naruto and most shounen anime/manga. At least Jojo killed most of their villains off or got horribly mutilated.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's why I hate Naruto and most shounen anime/manga. At least Jojo killed most of their villains off or got horribly mutilated.
I've been a shounen fan for a long time, but lately I have been getting tired of how predictable and tropey they are. I'll show up for the beautiful animation I guess, but the stories rarely grab me anymore.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Every shounen anime in the Goddamn world.

A bit of a joke, but its crazy how often villains, no matter how insane or evil they are portrayed, end up becoming part of the main cast as good guys. I can understand not wanting to waste good or popular villains, but man sometimes it just makes you roll your eyes.

guess i don't watch many shounens . and...yeah I really don't . not much anime in general really

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've been a shounen fan for a long time, but lately I have been getting tired of how predictable and tropey they are. I'll show up for the beautiful animation I guess, but the stories rarely grab me anymore.
The only shounen anime I bother with is Jojo (depending on the part, technically counts as Seinen and does even count as shounen anymore) and My Hero Academia. I like MHA, but it has some problems.

guess i don't watch many shounens . and...yeah I really don't . not much anime in general really
If you ever need help watching good non-shounen or non-shoujo anime, let me know. Willing and standing by.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
It's hardly action being ST:TNG, but by far the most intriguing example I can think of off-hand is Measure of a Man. Maddox's antagonism is undeniable considering he wanted Data legally declared outside the purview of sentient beings' rights and the nature of the procedure could well have "killed" Data. And at the same time, the strength of Riker's case against Data's sentience was jarring and powerful -- enough so to shock both Maddox and Louvois, and demoralize Picard to the point of giving up his defense. But on the flip side, Data actually respected Maddox's work and desired Maddox to continue it, just not at the potential price of Data's own existence; and through the trial, Maddox came to respect Data and wanted to work with him to move forward with it, safely.

Meanwhile over on DS9...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The only shounen anime I bother with is Jojo (depending on the part, technically counts as Seinen and does even count as shounen anymore) and My Hero Academia. I like MHA, but it has some problems.
I don't know how to feel about MHA these days. Feels a little like the author is tired of it and is speeding towards a conclusion.

I should really finish Jojo. I enjoy it but there's just so much to get through.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
My Little Pony Friendship is magic. Not the movie, they just kill that guy. But they... deal with the villainous trio at the end of the series, but not kill or convert.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know how to feel about MHA these days. Feels a little like the author is tired of it and is speeding towards a conclusion.
Keep in mind, I have not read any of the manga. I've been watching the seasons. I've been done with Season 4 a year ago. If he wants to conclude quickly, I have no problems with this. Too many shounen mangaka creators drag thing on too long to please their execu overlords or for some extra cash. Or go on a 5 year hiatus wasting the readers time, and making a shtity ending, because we're supposed to sympathize with a mass murdering Eco-terrorist whose killed over a 1000 people with a goddamn smile on his face. Causing all that pain and suffering, because he lost his fucking mommy! It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic. And for some reason, the author has an unjustified hatred for humanity and decide to get a bug up his ass saying shit, but not doing shit. With no solution other than "Fuck'em let the fuckwad who wants to be God sort them out.". Fuck you, dude!

Sorry, I was venting.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Aquaman movie - Orm isn't killed but he is imprisoned.

Ant-Man and the Wasp - The Ghost simply has her condition stabilized.

Jackie Chan Adventures - Toru.

Daredevil - Both the film and Netflix TV series.
There is also the other four Enforcers.

Who got converted in the Daredevil movie?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There is also the other four Enforcers.
I vaguely remember, because it happened so late in the series. I reason picked Toru is that he was the first and sticks out the most.

Who got converted in the Daredevil movie?
No one was converted, but Daredevil spares Kingpin. It's a cruel mercy though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ninja Scroll

Since Genma technically can't die because he's immortal. He's just trapped, incassed in gold at the bottom of the sea for as long as... nobody finds him?

Reactions: BrawlMan