Movies that everyone you talk to seems to think are bad but you think are actually pretty great.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
I don't know why, but I've always loved the 2006 The Wicker Man remake with Nicolas Cage. It's got nothing to do with the BEES or any other Cage-isms. It's all about the foreboding cultish atmosphere of the village, if the movie does one thing well it's that.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I honestly can't think of anything. In fact, I have the opposite problem, people not being able to shut up about how good bad movies are, like Frozen or The Lion King.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
The Blair Witch Project. It's flawed as hell but I thought it had a creepy atmosphere, lack of artificiality and sense of honesty. Most of the people I know have had their appetite ruined by the slew of "found footage" horror films that have been released in the last decade, which have been much flashier than Blair Witch. They think the film is dull and lacking in scares.

But I don't think it's a film that is meant to startle you or scare you in the way many modern horror films do. It's just a bunch of people getting lost in the woods. And woods full of leafless trees are creepy.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
DizzyChuggernaut said:
The Blair Witch Project. It's flawed as hell but I thought it had a creepy atmosphere, lack of artificiality and sense of honesty. Most of the people I know have had their appetite ruined by the slew of "found footage" horror films that have been released in the last decade, which have been much flashier than Blair Witch. They think the film is dull and lacking in scares.

But I don't think it's a film that is meant to startle you or scare you in the way many modern horror films do. It's just a bunch of people getting lost in the woods. And woods full of leafless trees are creepy.
The reason for a lot of the criticism I think is that people feel that the movie is building up to something, but then never shows the monster. When that's not really what the movie is about. Like you said, it's a movie about people getting lost in the woods and succumbing to fear.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Man Of Steel. The complaints are everywhere on the internet, mostly comic book sites and geek culture but really, I love that movie. I enjoyed it, it's the Superman I wanted to see. It was his first outing so of course it will be hard to not mess up and cause damage if you have God like powers. If that were me, I would seriously fuck up. Yeah he wasn't the scout everyone wanted to see but he is still learning. Yeah people hated it cause it wasn't the Superman they wanted but for me, it made me happy and smile and I am not even a fan of that character.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't see why John Carter of Mars got all the hate it did. Sure, wasn't great, but reasonable enough.

Also, Vampire Academy. Looks like they aren't going to make the rest of them :(

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I actually kind of liked Only God Forgives. My sister and her boyfriend threatened my life after watching it because of my endorsement.

Yeeeeeeah

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Transylvania 6-5000 is the best comedy there. i cant hear your complaints because i plugged my ears already.

ech, there are quite a few movies that i enjoyed that others didnt.Sucker Punch and new Star Trek to name a few contraversial ones. but i could probably list a hundred if i wanted to (i watch A LOT of movies)

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
piscian said:
DizzyChuggernaut said:

When the original blair witch came out it was the next thing to sliced bread

Budget $22,500[1]
Box office $248.6 million[2]

Personally my dickhole dad told me it was real before we went, I was 16 when we saw it in theatres. Scared the fuck out of me. It wasn't until looong after the film came that it became hip to crap on it.
For that, your dad is slightly awesome (unless you were seriously messed up by that, sorry, but my dad did similar things to me and I always found it terribly amusing... after getting upset, and embarassed, and pissed off, and calming down, of course).

And good call, DizzyChuggernaut. The Blair Witch Project was brilliant.

For me it was Waterworld(1995) with Kevin Costner- I guess that it cost a lot more than it should have, what with the accidental sinking of some of the scenery (was that a lie, or did that happen?), but it was what I wanted to see at the time, basically Mad Max, but on the ocean. Little to no brain power needed, and some cool visuals.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Little Nicky and The Butterfly Effect come to my mind. Sure I can see why some people hated Little Nicky (different humor) but The Butterfly Effect? Maybe cos it wasn't starring some A list actors/ actresses?

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I am a massive fan of the Resident Evil films... Loads of people seem to think they are crap, and I struggle to find people to watch them with, but I loved them! Corny fun!

Another one I really like is the 2003 Punisher with Tom Jane. It was a bit cheesy in places, but that is what brought it home to the comics for me... and it had all the violence and trademarks that I love about the character... he wasn't a Rambo, just running and shooting people, but he was a tactician who planned ahead, and actually punished his victims... The emotional trauma to John Travolta's character is absolutely fantastic. And the comic book style themed bad guys are great! The song by Harry Heck still is a favourite on my iPod!

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
I liked The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Possibly because I haven't read the comics it's based on. I find it to be an entertaining flick; The acting is not too shabby, the special effects, while going into the Uncanny Valley at times, are decent and I quite like the story. (For whatever reason, I also think the Invisible Man looks a little bit like Adam Savage. Is that just me?)

Also Maximum Overdrive. I'm normally extremely picky with movies, but this movie is such a B-movie cheesefest from start to finish that my brain just gives up and enjoys it for what it is. It is a stupid movie, and it's perfectly aware that it's a stupid movie, and somehow, it just loops back around to greatness. Also, great soundtrack; I can never go wrong with some AC/DC.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Everyone seems to hate Prometheus except for me, even if it does make me wretch (I have a thing about squid). Sure the characters were dumb (I hardly think it's fair to single Prometheus out in that) and inevitably there's a load of inexplicably cut scenes, but I liked where it was going. The whole ancient aliens thing is fascinating, the visuals are great and I'm genuinely interested in finding out what happens next.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
8mm, a wonderful Nicolas Cage film, that I love, but can't seem to find anyone who has even seen it, much less actually liked it. Also Van Helsing, for lots of cheezy reasons that just make me giggle, mostly that of the over the top Dracula, who was just hilarious.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
the December King said:
For me it was Waterworld(1995) with Kevin Costner- I guess that it cost a lot more than it should have, what with the accidental sinking of some of the scenery (was that a lie, or did that happen?), but it was what I wanted to see at the time, basically Mad Max, but on the ocean. Little to no brain power needed, and some cool visuals.
For me Waterworld was a good idea with poor execution as far as the script goes. The sets were awesome, the idea of Mad Max with pirates instead of motorcycle bandits was awesome, but I can't help but feel that it could have been realised better.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad film. I'd happily watch it if it's on TV.