Movies that you are told are bad, that you consider good.

Weealzabob

Jun 4, 2011
I don't get why Armageddon gets such hammering from people. It's silly and cheesy but the spectacle of the thing is amazing, William Fichtner is a badass, and Steve Buschemi needs an award of some kind.
Same goes for Independence Day.
And I can't not mention Deep Blue Sea. I don't know why I love it as much as I do, but that's life.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Sucker Punch. Cloverfield. Green Lantern. X-Men 3. All the Resident Evil movies.

Oh, and did you know that Citizen Kane was panned by critics when it first came out, and the guy being parodied (William Randolph Hurst, the Murdoch of his time) trashed it and made sure barely anyone saw it when it came out? Critical failure, box office failure... yet it's now seen as one of the best films of the 20th century (something I agree with, having seen it myself). xD

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
The recent Green Lantern movie. I'm glad I saw it and enjoyed it immensely before watching MovieBob thrash it.

Treblaine said:
Kung Pow: Enter the fist (by metacritic, 14% critics score)
Wait, seriously? That's movie's hilarious! Okay, I'll add it to the list.

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
I don't know if I was told it was bad or not, but perhaps just not told anything and the topic avoided and never mentioned or referenced directly, but....

I thought the Human Centipede was hilarious! The villain is delicious! The perfect stereotypical evil mastermind! Everything to do with the actual centipede I can just suppress and dismiss as absurd. Not sure about the second one. I think they went more for the centipede and less for the mastermind with that one.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
V for Vendetta.

Everyone I knew hated it and told me not to waste my time, but I really enjoyed it.

Dygen Entreri

Sep 23, 2010
ntw3001 said:
Death Race. It's generally regarded as a bad film, despite being very nearly the best film. But then, a lot of people seemed to think The Hangover was good, so I'm apparently in the minority.
I'm with you on this. And seriously, why did no one make at the very least a XBLA game out of Death Race. Racing with Guns, three laps, three rounds, you only progress if you survive. AWESOME!

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Transformers 1 - 3:
I don't dislike these movies nearly as much as everyone else seems to.
I admit their flaws and I won't argue that they are good movies but I can watch them without breaking down into the frothing nerd rage that everyone else seems to.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:
A lot of the complaints people have about this movie don't make any sense to me.
All three previous films all but confirm the existence of God or at least supernatural forces...but Aliens? Well I guess that's just silly.

He escaped in a fridge! That should have killed him.
Yeah he probably should have died while jumping out of a plane in a life raft too, what's your point?

Suckerpunch:

When viewed as a traditional narrative...yeah it's not a very good movie. But just about everyone I know went into this one expecting a 90 minute music video and that's pretty much what we got.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I'm told by many people that Asian film of all varieties is all weeaboo crap worse than watching anime and is vastly inferior to Western film.

But I just love Asian movies. So fun.

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
I might say that live action Mario Brothers movie qualifies, in a sense. Everybody loves to go on about how lousy it was because of how little regard it gives to actually being an adaptation of something. That's completely true. I agree, it fails as an adaptation because it bears so little resemblence to the source material. Nevertheless, judged on its own merits, I found it to be quite enjoyable. It was a sort of distinctly 90's era (or was it the 80's?) pulp cyberpunk flick loaded with absurdity and camp. It was a lousy adaptation, yes, but a halfway decent movie.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
Mystery Men
I can't understand why so many people crap on this one. It's one of my favorite movies ever. How can you go wrong with a shovel-wielding William H. Macy, Tom Waits as a mad scientist, and Janeane Garafalo talking to a skull encased in a bowling ball?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
TestECull said:
GeneralTwinkle said:
Ragnarok185 said:
TestECull said:
BUT IT DESECRATED AN AMAZING SHOW!

We have nothing to say to each other.
Avatar the movie has about as much in common with Avatar the anime as my forum avatar does. Name only. It didn't desecrate anything that way, and I can't take anyone who claims it did seriously.
But it does have to do with the show, characters, events, set pieces. If it was like a game remake that was only similar in name, I would agree. But it isn't just in common with the name.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Bubba Ho Tep, it´s about Elvis and black Kennedy hunting a cowboy mummy in a retirement home.