Movies that you are told are bad, that you consider good.

Jamielordofgingers

Aug 5, 2009
Van Helsing, although upon reflection the guy plays dracula in that is much worse now then when I saw it when it first came out.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Sucker Punch
Spiderman 3
Indiana Jones 4
Tron Legacy
Transformers 1 & 2 (never saw 3)
Star Wars episodes 1-3
The Sherlock Holmes movies starring Robert Downy Jr.

You know, I hate it when movies are not judged on their own merits, but the merits of movies that came before them. I mean, yeah, we need to have standards, but sometimes, it feels like we're telling a normal person he's a piece of crap just because he can't compete with Micheal Phelps' Olympic swim times.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Well...after reading most of these I'd have to agree with some, such as Starship Troopers, Silent Hill, TMNT 1 and 2

Personally, I love movies that most people think are complete and utter shit. For instance, I absolutely LOVE Troll 2. Possibly one of the worst movies ever made, but I adore it.

Also House (1986 horror movie). One of my favorites as well.

Flash Gordon and Cobra also come to mind (I just got them both at Streetlight Records for seriously 2 bucks)

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Everyone hates it. Critics panned it. I think it's amazing as a Disney movie. Seriously.

The Mario live action movie. I really did like it. It was exactly what I wanted: a bunch of Mario game homages and a plot that makes any kind of sense. I thought the idea of "parallel dimension where dinosaurs became humans instead of mammals doing so" was pretty kickass. I would have had no idea how to make Goombas anything neat, but they did. Mushrooms show up entertainingly; they rendered high jumping as motorized jumping boots, and Luigi actually doesn't suck. They even merged in the "the King has been transformed!" thing from Super Mario Bros. 3. So for everyone that thought this was ridiculous...dude, that was awesome, I can't think of a better live-action Mario that doesn't take place in a weird drug-trippy world where brown mushrooms attack you and you grow fourfold when you eat what looks like poison.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
TestECull said:
Korten12 said:
TestECull said:
GeneralTwinkle said:
Ragnarok185 said:
TestECull said:
BUT IT DESECRATED AN AMAZING SHOW!

We have nothing to say to each other.
Avatar the movie has about as much in common with Avatar the anime as my forum avatar does. Name only. It didn't desecrate anything that way, and I can't take anyone who claims it did seriously.
But it does have to do with the show, characters, events, set pieces. If it was like a game remake that was only similar in name, I would agree. But it isn't just in common with the name.
No, it doesn't. If it does, find me the episode of the anime where furutistic VTOLs blow up an enormous fucking tree just because it's in the way of a mineral they want without a care for the locals living inside that very tree, or where blue cat-like humanoids trash a bulldozer and launch a full-on aerial
assault on the back of pterodactyll

Go on. I'm waiting.
Wait were talking about THAT avatar..?

TownTattle

Nov 7, 2011
Seeing as any film I want to see that isn't Shark Night 3D or anything of that ilk is met with the reaction from my friends as "gay", my list would be way too long. But here are some highlights from this year:

Drive
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Artist
Arietty

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
Sucker Punch ftw! Also, perhaps surprisingly, the new Sherlock Holmes movie. And, far more surprisingly and in spite of my own acknowledgement of it being a bad film, I enjoyed the movie Wing Commander.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
My movie is the Thomas Jane Punisher movie. I freakin loved it, even though I can't stand John Travolta. (I still contend that the movie would have been even better without that sod in it)

I'm not certain why it was so despised, even after all this time.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Transformers 1-3 (how was the plot hard to follow?)
Green Lantern
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Star Wars Episodes I and II (Yes, I grew up with the original trilogy first)

And that's just off the top of my head.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Jingle Fett said:
yogibbear said:
Suckerpunch.

All the reviews said it was crap. I think I was the only person in the audience that seemed to take away a waaaaaaay deeper meaning. I think everyone was too distracted by all the action and scantily clad girls to realise there was an awesome story right there in front of them.
Yay +1 for Sucker Punch. That's pretty much my same opinion, I saw it in IMAX with my dad and we both thought it was awesome. I'd been waiting for it since I saw it announced at comic con and...it actually surpassed my expectations :D And I agree, I think a lot of people just went in expecting a movie about girls and guns (to be fair though, trailer sort of gives that impression).

Treblaine said:
Kung Pow: Enter the fist (by metacritic, 14% critics score)

Kung Pow also I can see how people can write it off as being ridiculous, but I love it for it's perfect timing of such absurd humour.
YES! YES! That movie is the funniest shit right there, I love it too, it's extremely underrated :D Evil Betty hya hya

I also consider Avatar to be good. The story is pretty generic, but I think it's still a good movie.
Quite a few people seem to dislike The Book of Eli too, which genuinely surprised me since I thought everybody would be all over the whole Fallout 3 setting.

Other worthy mentions:
Star Wars Prequels
Matrix Reloaded + Revolution (they weren't nearly as good as the original but I thought they were still good)
Starship Troopers
Tron Legacy
The Thing (the new prequel)
Shaolin Soccer

ok first im gonna have to use that name next time i make a tor character.......just too funny.

next i agree with every movie you have up there and now ill add a few more:

trasformers- if you go in realiseing that all it can be about is giant robots fighting you shall never be disapointed(also imagaining sentenal with pointy ears the who time doesnt hurt for the 3rd one)
sahara- one of my favoret movies im actually kinda pissed no one went in saw it.
the lost world Jurassic park- was a great movie far better then the 3rd
finally sonic the hedghog- everyone told me its a video game cashin itll suck. i watch, i love, and i go looking for a copy.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
I like braindead action movies like Commando and Judge Dredd. I also think the Star Wars prequels (second one excluded) are enjoyable movies.

MSfire012

Jul 9, 2011
Matrix Reloaded
Indiana Jones 4
Spider Man 3(I think is better then the first one)
Sucker Punch
Legend of the Guardians
Drive Angry(Yeah is bad, but that's the point)

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Transformers
Battle Los Angeles
GI Joe: Rise of Cobra

and
The Mario Bros Movie

Yes I actually liked it, don't ask why, I cant explain why. I just like it.