Movies that you are told are bad, that you consider good.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
TestECull said:
Winnosh said:
But its an American Animated show. Also Everyone decried The Last Airbender I've never seen a single good review.

You know how they do those audience reaction shots after a movie premire when everyone talks about how great it was so they can put that in the commercials. Well the one for avatar had everyone panning it so much that they pulled it from the air.

I've not found anyone who liked it, Its almost universaly Lothed.
You're the first person I've met that's said that.
You're from some weird anti matter universe aren't you. You're the first person I've met that didn't hear anything about the movie being hated.

Just check Rotten tomatoes its got a 6% raiting

Ragnarok185

Oct 14, 2011
Quazimofo said:
Ragnarok185 said:
Transformers 1-3
Tekken Blood Vengeance

those are the only ones I can think of
isn't blood vengeance that old movie they showed on G4 not too long ago? with the one scene with the fight between a big muscular guy and someone else using a spear and a chain with barbed wire attached?
No this Blood Vengeance is a CGI tekken movie. It was made to apologize for that Live Action tekken movie.(or at least everyone see it that way)

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Ieyke said:
Cloverfield ( love this movie. Everyone seems to miss the point of it)
Tron Legacy (again, people either love it or hate it, and rare is the person who really gets the point of the plot)
I really enjoyed Cloverfield, none of my friends did.

And I loved TRON: Legacy. My friends didn't "hate" it per se, but it didn't garner much positivity either, so it was kinda damned by fair praise in my group. And I agree that so many people didn't see the deeper connections and allusions being made in the father-son reconciliation thread of the plot as well as the overall arching plot being a futuristic adaptation of the creation poem.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Some people mentioned Speed Racer. I actually tried to watch it again the other day and it just bored me far too quickly.
It's an interesting film all the same, I just really wonder who their target audience were.
Was it targeted at people who knew and grew up with the anime or was it targeted towards kids? I felt that it never really worked for either groups and that the main target audience were the Wachowski brothers.
The art design was impressive and I knew many people who got secretly stoned or drunk inside the cinema and had a pretty good time looking at all the epilepsy inducing images.
I just think it failed to find it's audience.

It didn't do too well at the cinema and is still $30,000,000 away from breaking even.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
F said:
From last year, Suckerpunch and Green Lantern... I thought both were pretty decent
Sucker Punch, fine, but the Green Lantern?
Wow, seriously?
I know almost nothing about Green Lantern lore, not being American, and I still cringed as I could feel the lore being abused.
I refuse to believe this is the 'Hal Jordan' people like, as he's basically handsome douchebag #74 in the movie.
The editing is terrible, as is the pacing of the movie.
Also, many, many things just do not make any sense whatsoever.
Greatest threat to the entire universe ever that grows stronger as it feeds, basically, and the Green Lanters, which have a planet full of Green Lanters, sends one ship with like 5 guys.
Sounds reasonable!
And first, Hal is a weakling struggling with just summoning the power of the ring.
Then he's conveniently the most powerful Green Lantern in the universe literally just hours later.

The movie is bad.
Even if you enjoyed it for whatever reason, it's still objectively bad.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Alien films after Aliens.
They're not as good as the first two, but they're not really as bad as everyone seems to make out.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Ghost Rider. Nicolas Cage REALLY needs to pick better roles, and despite the cheap CGI skull and the script, I liked this film!

Fantastic 4/Silver Surfer. Fun, and I liked Jessica Alba at the time.

Transformers 1 (2 and 3 weren't good. At all).

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. People have said it's the worst film in Sean Connery's career, but I enjoyed it. Then again, I was 12 the last time I saw it...

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
Frankly I consider the Room a cinematic masterpiece, though I suppose that isn't because I think the movie's good, and more because it is so spectacularly bad.

Tidenburg

Oct 21, 2008
The Halle Berry Cat Woman movie. Up to the first robery scene it was a bit lame, and the girl power music they chose for the fights was shit. But other than that it was a great corny super hero movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Howard the Duck - It's a movie about a talking duck from another planet, and in the end he fights a giant alien scorpion with a laser bazooka mounted on a golf cart... What's not to like? Plus, the orcestral soundtrack was terrific.

Ang Lee's Hulk - There's definately big problems with this movie, but the way the Hulk looked and moved still made me like it over all.

Labyrinth - It was only in the last 2 years or so that I discovered this movie was seen as shit in the eyes of the general public, which was kinda shocking to me because I fucking love it! The story, the visuals, the songs, the humor, the puppets, David Bowie... I honestly don't see what was wrong with this movie, unless you have a strong aversion to bulges.

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
I had friends who didn't like Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I on the other hand thought it was doooooooooooooooooooooope!

Philol

Nov 7, 2011
Cloverfield
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Starship Troopers
Resident Evil series (especially 2 and 4)

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
w00tage said:
Brain Donors.
UHF.
The original Tron.
Circle of Iron (aka The Silent Flute).
Hudson Hawk
TMNT 1.
The Incredibles.
Ratattouille.
Mortal Combat 1.
What Dreams May Come
Hook
The Last Action Hero
(yes I looked at others' selections to find some that I liked too :)
dfphetteplace said:
Avatar. Screw you! I like that movie, and I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. I also can't wait to see the sequels. I also happened to like the last Indiana Jones. Everyone bitched that it had aliens in it. So what? Is that too far, but all the other crap (holy grail, ect) is just fine? I didn't like the side kick asshole, but I didn't like any of the other characters in Temple of Doom either.
Avatar, Ratattouille and The Incredibles all got rave reviews. They are not considered bad films.

OT: Johnny English
This isn't about Avatar, only my selections, but not according to my family and friends. They act as if I'm going to ask for some crayons and a coloring book next because I'm watching a "cartoon" :rolleyes:. In fact, :rolleyes: describes the not-quite-concealed-enough looks I got when we were making suggestions for my 7-year-old niece's TV show for the evening and I suggested Kung-Fu Panda. Or the ones I got when I suggested The Incredibles at a friend's house to watch with his 11, 12 and 13 year old daughters.

Oddly, they are all ok with Shrek 3 where the foghorn drowns out the sound of Puss yelling the F-word, which I found totally unacceptable in a kid's movie.

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
Rob Zombie's Halloween and its sequel. They both cop way too much flak from the horror community for such good films. The first is a solid remake of a horror classic, and the sequel elegantly turns Zombie's own filmography on its head by examining the effects of such horrific and traumatic experiences on the victims.

Also someone mentioned the Fifth Element. Is there really someone out there who doesn't like that movie?