Movies with Good Conversations

Bestival

May 5, 2012
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100519/ *** Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
This one is genius, I rented it on a whim once because Gary Oldman is in it and holy shit did it impress.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/ *** The Man from Earth
This one is a bit heavier, but entirely conversation based and pretty thought provoking.

And like others said, you can't go wrong with Tarantino... Or Kevin Smith, his old stuff has some great dialogue in it. Chasing Amy or Dogma, both are good.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Jacco said:
It depends on what kind of genre is is. Dialogue based anything is difficult to do, much less do right. Especially writing it as you don't have actors to convey emotion.

Titanic has some incredible dialogue. The part where they are talking about the damage to the ship and how it will sink is some of the best conversation in both writing and timing I've ever seen.

What genre are you working in? I might be able to recommend some better examples with a narrower perspective.

(I'm a writer too so I study these things a lot as well)
It is a drama with some comedy elements. It's mostly a character study sort of movie. The characters who will do the talking (only two characters, man and woman), are complete opposites; She's actually the weird one (Going by the author's writing style), and the guy is more free spirited (Or perhaps more honest to say, he just seems a bit more social, but he really seems to fancy her, and judging by the fact he doesn't talk to anybody else in the story, it's possible it might only be her).

But that said, I'm just looking for good conversations, not necessarily in any genre, just movies with good conversations.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
The first Matrix film. Trinity?s first meeting with Neo, and the way she whispers in his ear in her sultry voices, sends shivers down my back every time. She?s so?goddamn?sexy! Also, Morpheus and Agent Smith?s dialogue. Brilliant.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Serenity.

Kaylee: It's been months since I had anythin' twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries!

Mal: Kaylee, I did not need to hear that!

Jayne: I could stand to hear a little more...

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
The Man from Earth has been mentioned a few times - and I concur wholeheartedly.

I also suggest Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (the latter being a sequel to the former, and arguably the better movie but both deserve mentioning) since they're both essentially long conversations. Really good if you're into sappy romantic type movies, and even if you're not, they're still good.

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
Bladerunner, any cut except the original one (with the Harrison Ford narration). Also all the Godfather movies.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
Tarintino, pretty much ANY court room drama. I recommend watching the Breakfast scene from Reservoir Dogs over and over just on principle.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Tarantino has been mentioned plenty of times already, nonetheless I'll still emphasize him. Especially the scenes where he steps in front of the camera himself:

I'd also like to throw in Guy Ritchie and the Coen Brothers, who also have their fair share of good conversation scenes.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
sinsfire said:
I remember watching Before Sunrise a long time ago. Never saw the sequal and I am curious if the original holds up. They are on my to do list for movies but I was wondering your take on if they still hold up or if they were only good during the time they were released?
Well, they are hands down my absolute favorite films so obviously they hold up in my opinion. It´s a very simple, realistic love story. These don´t really get old. There´s a third one coming out next year by the way called Before Midnight.