Movies You Wish Were Gone.

napmil

Oct 9, 2010
I'm tempted to say Twilight, as so many others.

Though I think it's important to keep those disasters around anyway so future generations can learn how NOT to make a movie.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
tigermilk said:
Mr.Squishy said:
tigermilk said:
Mr.Squishy said:
Citizen Kane. You know why.
No, why?

OT: Death Wish (Winner 1974) and by extension all its sequels. Deeply unpleasant, reactionary, right wing fascistic series of film steeped in class, racial and gender hatred.

It is a boring, dry piece of tripe with a premise founded on a plothole, yet is universally lauded as the "BEST MOVIE EVAR", which implies that 70 years of filmmaking and going are just inferior to one mediocre movie.
Thankyou for replying. In my opinion it is one of the five greatest films in the histoy of American cinema for the cinematography and the mythology alone in terms of Welles opposition to the studio system. There are many reasons to love the film (of course it is subjective) but equally as you have highlighted reasons for some not to like the film.
Alright, I'll bite. What're the reasons to like it?

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Haseo21 said:
Battlefield Earth
Awww, we can't delete this one, its too horrible to not let live.

Its also the perfect example of
A: Why Hubbard was crazy
B: Why Travolta is a bad actor
C: How NOT to make a movie

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
tehannihalator said:
The phantom menance because its awful.
I'd go one step further.

The Star Wars Prequels, all of them. Ruined Star Wars forever.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
octafish said:
The Ladykillers remake, only Coen Brothers' film I didn't like. Yes I did like Intolerable Cruelty and The Hudsucker Proxy (...not counting the mezzanine).
You know, I wasn't fond of it either. Maybe it was something indescribable, or maybe its because Alec Guiness wasn't in it, but it didn't work anywhere near as well as the original did. Did I mention the original had Alec Guiness in it?

I'd get rid of-
Sassafrass said:
Skyline, Skyline, Skyline, Skyline, Skyline.
Damn Ninjas!
Okay, I got it-
zpucek said:
Star Wars prequels.
Goddamn these ninjas above me have good taste. Right, I'll just go with Tim Burtons version of Alice in Wonderland.

I was not entertained by it in the slightest and would be perfectly happy for it not to have existed.

tehannihalator

Apr 6, 2010
Zenn3k said:
tehannihalator said:
The phantom menance because its awful.
I'd go one step further.

The Star Wars Prequels, all of them. Ruined Star Wars forever.
And another step further anything George Lucas has made since the mid 1990s.
No prequels, No abomination that was Indiana Jones 4, No Beverly Hills Cop III, and No Cutscene of a movie that was The Clone Wars

AnimatedAmbiguity

Mar 28, 2011
Titanic: The Animated Musical. (Laughably bad and nonsensical as its titles suggests.)

Secret of N.I.M.H. 2: Timothy to the Rescue. (Utter inferior garbage to a wonderful film that wasn't in any need of a continuation.)

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. (Even as a child this movie bored the ever-loving crap out of me.)

Pokemon 2000. (Despite what others may say, I really did enjoy the first!....The second.... blah!)

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. (An obvious choice for obvious reasons.)

Any romantic comedy that decides to play it safe by following a dry, traditional setup starring a bunch of uninteresting, cliche characters. (She's Out of My League, I'm looking at you.)

And finally: anything and everything from the man himself, Uwe Boll.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Mr.Squishy said:
tigermilk said:
Mr.Squishy said:
Citizen Kane. You know why.
No, why?

OT: Death Wish (Winner 1974) and by extension all its sequels. Deeply unpleasant, reactionary, right wing fascistic series of film steeped in class, racial and gender hatred.
It is a boring, dry piece of tripe with a premise founded on a plothole, yet is universally lauded as the "BEST MOVIE EVAR", which implies that 70 years of filmmaking and going are just inferior to one mediocre movie.
So out of all the movies ever made, you wouldn't delete anything by Uwe Boll, MIchael Bay, Roland Emerich, and Ed Wood? Instead you would delete the movie that revolutionized film making from not only a technical perspective, but also a story telling perspective? Dear sir or madam, I don't think you know what you're saying. From low-angle shots to deep focus, the use of in camera effects, and the different kind of story telling not seen in a film yet. The unreliable narrator, the use of makeup to see a whole man's lifetime. The movie was many years ahead of its time. Without it, it would have been years before any of the techniques were founded. Not to mention that it's a great story with a deep narrative about the rise and fall of a man who seemed to have it all. I don't normally say this, but your opinion is flat out wrong.

Le_Cable said:
Rosemary's Baby
I give up.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Zenn3k said:
Haseo21 said:
Battlefield Earth
Awww, we can't delete this one, its too horrible to not let live.

Its also the perfect example of
A: Why Hubbard was crazy
B: Why Travolta is a bad actor
C: How NOT to make a movie
The man makes an excellent point

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
There are a lot of lame movies out there, but I am going to mainly choose one that I thought was the most damaging.

'The Crying Game' which follows a transgirl and cisgender guy's relationship except that he doesn't find out till a lot later. When she tells him, he slaps her and goes to throw up. The audience is expected and supposed to sympathize with him!!!!! It was huge because people liked to take their unsuspecting friends and 'gross them out' because there is a trans character. The trans character is treated as an IT, a non human just meant to stir bigoted homophobia and critics from what I remember consider it great. I'm sure that movie probably contributed to my parents' vile reaction when they found out calling me a freak and wished that I was dead via gunshot. Way to go Oscar contendor.....

Also TransAmerica is riddled with so much stereotypes and media representations. There is also a serious flawed message at the end. What is most frustrating is that the director thinks the movie is helping trans people seriously..... ugh. I can rant on and on with what is wrong with that horrible movie.

These movies are popular due to taboo factor of transgenderism nowaday. I know some of that will help get my teen trans book published, but mine does not have such a horrible, cliche, and false depiction.

Half serious answers

Harry Potter.... Okay I'm sure they are okay but the hype machine behind it is annoying. Anything that is crammed down your throat over and over, even if it is decent, gets old fast. I worked in a bookstore during the biggest hype time and ugh.

Twilight and not because of the vampires, but because of the horrible messages of that girls' only worth is if they have never been "with" a guy and stalking is considered romantic. Also I'm bothered by the whole team thing it's like 'hey girls what is sexier animals or corpses?' shudders

Visitor Q -- I have not been able to watch an asian horror movie since and I have sat through and old enjoy most of Takashi Miike's works. Just gross and yeah..... shudder... i watched a good portion in fast forward to see if it was only the beginning that was bad but ....omgosh horrid horrid film.

Sorry for long post. I have had a nasty sore throat for 2 weeks and can't really sleep =(

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Nate Corran said:
If you could delete one movie out of existence (and as a result any sequels or movies that were made as a result) which would it be and why?

Personally I would delete Twilight. Then we wouldn't have to worry about the emasculation of vampires in popular culture and, well, the bloody stupid cultural phenomenon.
All of the Star Wars movies. Seriously, screw those 6 cinematic abominations and screw my parents for making me watch them so much when I was younger...

Nate Corran

Dec 26, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Either a toss up between Titanic and Inception.

... Actually, you know what, I'll go with Titanic.

Titanic was a crap movie when you get down to it, but it polevaulted James Cameron into Greatness and gave him the Means to Make Avatar, which is another crap movie thats only nice and pretty to look at. Titanic also made Leonardo DeCaprio to look like some great actor and be the best there ever was, which opened up the door for him later in life for Inception (something that was also grossly over loved).

So yeah, Titanic.
While I disagree with you on Leo, HELL YES the rage on Avatar. Yeah, it was pretty, but once i sat down and tried to discern a plot, i got a big load of shit.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I'm going to say something random that no one probably would have said. The Virgin Suicides.
I guess technically it is not a bad movie. It is probably alright on its own merits. But the book is so much better and the movie just misses every point of the book. The ambiguities do not work if you tell the story from the perspective of the girls. This movie is also why I loathe Kristen Dunst.
Also on the list of bad adaptation, V for Vendetta, though I am thinking of sparing it from deletion because seeing the movie is what caused me to like the comic. However, I'm not sure appreciating such an incredibly written comic is worth all the discussions I've had to have saying where exactly the movie went wrong.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Nothing.

We can learn from our mistakes. And bad movies help me develop a greater understanding of what makes a film good and what makes a film bad.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
For a recent movie, I'll go with The Hurt Locker. There is nothing to be learned or gained by watching this movie. Kathryn Bigelow deserves a punch in the stomach for taking Best Picture from anything at all. Even The Blind Side had some kind of redeeming quality. If you've never seen Hurt Locker, make sure you stay that way forever.

As for an older movie, I'd erase the 1987 movie Ishtar. Just, why?

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
About 30 seconds or so in the middle of star wars episode 1... where qui-gon explains the force...................... >_>

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
http://content9.flixster.com/photo/11/71/16/11711607_gal.jpg

Because it is absolutely atrocious and has no right to exist. It's as simple as that.