Mozilla Refuses to Drop Domain Seizure Circumvention App

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Jinxey said:
As the American Gov. invented the internet (read: the army) I'm pretty sure there's a strong case that they do have jurisdiction on the internet.
Ha, ha, ha! You make me laugh, you may have noticed.

sheic99 said:
They do have it on the sites whose domain is in the US.
Oh, I know that, don't worry... I just felt lazy and didn't want to clarify. Sorry!

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
HG131 said:
For once, I respect a lawyer. He should be crowned "The Greatest Lawyer. Of All Time."
Not a hard title to get, seeing as what some lawyers do now-a-days.

OT: I don't really use FF or this app, but I can say that they asked some good questions.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Baradiel said:
Go Mozilla! I can't stand the way the internet is getting policed by America. I truly hate it.
Man, if THAT pisses you off, then stay FAR AWAY from the Chinese.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
WolfEdge said:
Baradiel said:
Go Mozilla! I can't stand the way the internet is getting policed by America. I truly hate it.
Man, if THAT pisses you off, then stay FAR AWAY from the Chinese.
Thats more state censorship. The chinese government restricts the population of its own country. It isn't right, but its sortof understandable.

What this is is international busybodying.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Jinxey said:
Booze Zombie said:
America doesn't have jurisdiction on the internet, I don't really see how they could legally do this.
As the American Gov. invented the internet (read: the army) I'm pretty sure there's a strong case that they do have jurisdiction on the internet.
By that logic, I guess, Alexander Flemming's Estate owns the rights to ALL the penicillin produced in the world.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Finally, a major company of some kind is really standing up for our freedom of information. Kudos like crazy to Mozilla for doing what they've done and hopefully continuing with it.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Jinxey said:
Booze Zombie said:
America doesn't have jurisdiction on the internet, I don't really see how they could legally do this.
That makes no difference at all. TPB would already be down if the US had jurisdiction. The internet hasn't been private for decades.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, that add-on doesn't sound like a very nice one. But, if all they did was ask that it be removed, that gives Mozilla the right to say no. If they really want it down, let them go get a court order. Not that it'll do any good, because add-ons can still be hosted elsewhere. They're just going to cause a Streisand Effect on this add-on.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Wow. An Internet company that actually has balls. Go Mozilla! Don't back down without a fight! Go all the way and make them take the whole goddamned DMCA to the Supreme Court! (Or make them shut you down and go down in history as the biggest martyrs to your cause yet. It's been ages since we've had any causes anyone's been willing to actually risk their business for.)

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Jinxey said:
Booze Zombie said:
Oh ok. Then I guess the descendent of whoever invented the wheel has jurisdiction inside every car.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
HG131 said:
tanis1lionheart said:
This is troll, yes? Cause, if not - must be Kim Jon Ill, Mao, or Stalin in disguise. No AMERICAN - who support the US Constitution would be a fan of the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. A.C.T 2 - unless they're traitors.
Ok, you owe me my sanity, as now I have to defend this guy, even though I dislike hate what he said. You just used the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. There are plenty of Americans who do support the PATRIOT act, which does not make them traitors. It certainly makes me and many others think much less of them, but it doesn't make them traitors.
I have no idea what "No True Scotsman" is...
What else would you call any American citizen that thinks its fine and dandy to use the US Constitution, Bill of Rights, Judicial Precedence, The System of Checks & Balances, and 'Common Sense' (get it?) - as toilet paper or a blunt roll...
....Which is basically what the PATRIOT Act does...
Unless, you could argue, it just makes them inbreed, ignorant & ill-informed, "Special E.D." types.
Which, I could go ahead and agree with.
However, to me, anyone who claims to be an American but supports polices that go against everything that has made/makes this nation so amazing in the past/present/future...
Well, they're a traitor - maybe not to the American Government - but to the people and spirit that of the 'American Way' we all aspire to.
TL/DR?
Americans should be better than this, it's insulting.

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
Jinxey said:
Booze Zombie said:
DARPA created the basic network on the back of which the internet as we know it was designed by CERN. So by your insane troll-logic, that means France and Switzerland have jurisdiction over the internet.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
If the domains are not in the US, Homeland Security has no jurisdiction over them.
You can say that all you want, but that's not going to stop them if they want something down.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Eri said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
If the domains are not in the US, Homeland Security has no jurisdiction over them.
You can say that all you want, but that's not going to stop them if they want something down.
Right.. That is why Piratebay is down, right?