Mr. Creosote, would you like a bit more of **** with your boiled *** ****** ?... - TV ads related

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Excuse me, but really, I'm getting horribly fed up by the video games TV ads we got served with lately.
I mean, it's nothing new. Even back in the 80s, the ads were cheesy. Well, on the other hand, no one expected games to be sold to anyone but geeks, and the industry still needed to grow up.

But today... man, the pain.

The Wii ads, no matter which ones, really make me want to puke and plaster mud and feces on those damn purified white walls we keep seeing in nearly all of them.
Yes, I know, it works. It sells. But they're crap, really.
Stop paying Kidman like if she ever cared about games. I've rarely seen her act so badly.
Thank you.

Oh, and that embarassing Heavenly Sword one. Symptomatic. If I had to point out why video games still keep being seen as something for virgin cavemen, we'd have a perfect case here.
That Nariko chick is seen executing a move we just can't figure what it's supposed to be, or to do. And then, the battlefield, filled with dead bodies.
*drool*

On a good note, the Twilight Princess ad wasn't too bad. Bit of a classic piece of presentation, but it works.
The short and nearly actionless Gears of War ad was quite poetic, with the eery music.

Yes, no one said that ads should be great, as long as they sell, but seriously, some of them just make me feel the need to negate my gamer past and hide in a dark room...

So if there are ads that you've appreciated or despised, please share your experience.

Plu-eeez!!!

David Miscavidge

Dec 13, 2006
Arbre said:
Yes, no one said that ads should be great, as long as they sell, but seriously, some of them just make me feel the need to negate my gamer past and hide in a dark room...
Word.

And lets not forget to

"Believe"

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
The ads for BioShock [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vndhYvQ3WPM] were pretty well done.

I don't really see that many game ads on television but I do agree that the Wii and Heavenly Sword could be done better.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
As much of a fan I am of Valve, the Orange Box TV ad was far too arrogant, but to be fair it was made by EA.
"The Best Game of all time."
Not only does that refer to HL2, not the advertised Episode 2, but when they say it it's difficult to realize they're noting a review, not trying to declare their own fact.

LisaB1138

Oct 5, 2007
I wonder how many gamers even buy games based on TV ads. Seems like a waste of money to me. With all the internet sources for information, by the time a game is released I've already made my decision to buy or not to buy.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
LisaB1138 said:
I wonder how many gamers even buy games based on TV ads. Seems like a waste of money to me. With all the internet sources for information, by the time a game is released I've already made my decision to buy or not to buy.
To most people that would ever read a site like this, television ads are a remarkable waste. The "hardcore" gaming audience actually doesn't watch much television these days, and it's decreasing [http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/22/technology/22drill.html].

On the other hand, those ads aren't for you. By knowing details about the game in advance, you've immediately removed yourself from the target audience - they've already "reached" you. They're trying for your mom now (Wii, Sims), or that guy who only plays Madden and Halo.

LisaB1138

Oct 5, 2007
Virgil said:
They're trying for your mom now (Wii, Sims), or that guy who only plays Madden and Halo.
Psst . . .I *am* the mom. :D (And this one doesn't play a Wii or the Sims. More like DMC or Silent Hill.)