MS Confirms Online Connection, Game Borrowing and Used Game Details

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
It actually doesn't. They're likely to simply deactivate this DRM after they stop supporting the console.
Why would they? I don't see them removing the DRM out of the goodness of their heart, I mean we are talking about Microsoft here... You know, the same company that made developers stop adding XP compatibility to their software to encourage people to switch to a newer OS?

It's in their best interests to get everyone onto the next console after the xbone, and that's even assuming they can easily remove the DRM. A lot of it is tied up with all this cloud bullshit, meaning a lot of games will need the power of the cloud to simply function.
There's also no benefit to them arbitrarily making useless your old games. Doing that won't encourage anyone to buy any other Microsoft product as in your "dropping support for XP" example.

Also, there's a few items of interest from the source article that seem to have completely avoided discussion here that I'd like to point out to everyone:

Microsoft said:
Access your entire games library from any Xbox One, no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend?s house, you can play your games.

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend?s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
So what this means is that any game released in the first year you can probably sell back fairly easily, then once they've sold enough systems the big publishers decide to lock out used games. It's technically not Microsoft's fault publisher X decided to lock out used games!

The thing I like about this generation is companies have worked incredibly hard to make sure I have no interest in purchasing their product at all. Sometimes I'm on the fence and in a moment of weakness make a purchase I regret (SimCity). But between Nintendo's love of shovelware and the Xbone being a online multimedia hub, at no point have I ever been maybe I should consider this product.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
alphamalet said:
My favorite part of Microsoft's epitaph so far is this:

"Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you?re not playing."

Ummmmm What!?

"...every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection..."
....All 20 of them?

No, I think this is a statement of truth if only because of necessity. You either have the connection or you won't buy the thing. So it could be true, though the number of people who do own one will be smaller then those with 360.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Loki_The_Good said:
I suppose you have a written letter from Microsoft guaranteeing that they will. Otherwise your both assuming and since Genocidicles's fear's maintain the status quo instead of assuming a change that may or may not happen and that the risk of losing those games alone is a big enough reason not to risk it I'd have to err on the side it does. (especially since it's a fundamental part of the infrastructure and xbox have invited publishers to make games that rely at least in part on the cloud; a cloud that would disappear.) You stay optimistic though, you're going to need that....
I'm predicting this future action based on an admittedly naive gain/loss analysis of the action. They lose nothing by removing DRM from products they no longer support that have no direct competition on the market and they gain goodwill from their customers.

I could be completely wrong, but I see no reason Microsoft won't draw the same conclusion I just did. That's why I see them dropping the DRM when they drop support for the console completely as likely.

worlds edge

Jun 7, 2013
Eldritch Warlord said:
Loki_The_Good said:
I suppose you have a written letter from Microsoft guaranteeing that they will. Otherwise your both assuming and since Genocidicles's fear's maintain the status quo instead of assuming a change that may or may not happen and that the risk of losing those games alone is a big enough reason not to risk it I'd have to err on the side it does. (especially since it's a fundamental part of the infrastructure and xbox have invited publishers to make games that rely at least in part on the cloud; a cloud that would disappear.) You stay optimistic though, you're going to need that....
I'm predicting this future action based on an admittedly naive gain/loss analysis of the action. They lose nothing by removing DRM from products they no longer support that have no direct competition on the market and they gain goodwill from their customers.

I could be completely wrong, but I see no reason Microsoft won't draw the same conclusion I just did. That's why I see them dropping the DRM when they drop support for the console completely as likely.
I'd like to agree w/you, but...wouldn't something like backwards compatibility from the One to 360 games have fostered a fair degree of customer goodwill? I agree the analogy isn't airtight, since there are doubtless some hardware issues involved, but Nintendo managed to pull it off with the Wii-U, so it seems like something eminently "do-able."

Then again, since the PS4 won't have any backwards compatibility, either, hmmm, hard to say. Still, I can't think of very many times during Microsoft's existence they've gone out of their way to foster goodwill.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Assuming Sony doesn't follow suit, they basically win this upcoming "console war" this generation by default. Why ANYONE would want to buy a XBone now after reading that is beyond me...no offense to anyone, but I feel like you'd have to be borderline mentally unstable to want something this blatantly against the customer.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Days like this I'm so happy I switched to PC gaming. This is absolutely nonsense.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I wonder, would you buy an XBONE if it came with an accessory called the XBONE that in order to play used games you had to plaa...

Hold on for a second.
Hey

ESCAPIST STAFF!!!! THERE IS A GIANT FUCKING ADD
COVERING A QUARTER OF THE COMMENT TEXT BOX AND I'M HAVING
A VERY HARD TIME TYPING WITH IT THERE!!!!

LOOK IN TO THAT PLEASE!

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I wonder, would you by an Xbox one if it came with an accessory called the XBONE that, in order to play used or borrowed games, there were no restrictions of any kind, except!

The XBONE was a giant Microsoft brand dildo that you had to insert into your ass while the Kinnect watched and beamed the feed directly to Bill Gates?

If you did that you could play all the used and borrowed games you wanted, and you never had to plug in your Kinnect again and could play offline.

So what I'm saying is: would you let Microsoft literally fuck you in the asshole if the Xbox one would become a real game console? As apposed to the Xbox one being a "fuck you in the asshole machine" that might play games if your internet isn't being a ***** today and Microsoft customer support hasn't independently decided that they don't like they way you sit on the couch and thus label you a game pirate or something...

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
alphamalet said:
My favorite part of Microsoft's epitaph so far is this:

"Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you?re not playing."

Ummmmm What!?

"...every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection..."
I think the citation is that you'd be fucking crazy to buy one without a broadband connection.

Also, gotta love that 'if the publisher allows it' crap, and that it'll apparently be impossible to lend games without paying for xbox live.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
I thought EA was bad... this is getting insane.

I love my 360, but the PS4 gets PS3 games... well, I've always wanted to try out Infamous.

I mean... I've used this line on other forums... it's like spending years and millions of dollars on updating a skyscraper that's been your pride and joy for years... and then blowing it up with C4 in the basement.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Wow, so the biggest reveal here is that they shifted some of the blame on the publishers. Great idea MS, but when I give some maniac access codes to a nuke and he blows it up, I'm not gonna get off completely Scots-free.

I can't wait for all the "We only enabled all this bullshit, it's not our fault publishers actually use it" PR-nonsense.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Ronack said:
They've both managed to pull themselves together as completely screw themselves over. That's quite a remarkable feat. Most of the stuff in the xbox license page is actually well thought out and deserves a bit of praise. But, then the other articles come in to play and we begin to see that for every step forward (no used games fees), they go twenty steps back (semi-always online, you can only sell license once and to a 30 day old friend)
Not having used games fees isn't praiseworthy. It's what we have now with consoles. We also now have the ability to lend a game to any number of friends and sell it to anyone, microsoft approved retailer or not. The xbone doesn't have the latter two and those are big steps back.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Be interesting to see if their profits actually go up in accordance with all these measures.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Ronack said:
They've both managed to pull themselves together as completely screw themselves over. That's quite a remarkable feat. Most of the stuff in the xbox license page is actually well thought out and deserves a bit of praise. But, then the other articles come in to play and we begin to see that for every step forward (no used games fees), they go twenty steps back (semi-always online, you can only sell license once and to a 30 day old friend)
Not having used games fees isn't praiseworthy. It's what we have now with consoles. We also now have the ability to lend a game to any number of friends and sell it to anyone, microsoft approved retailer or not. The xbone doesn't have the latter two and those are big steps back.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
Pretty innocuous I think but for some without a cellphone or no internet it might get annoying. Pretty much like steam really.
The difference being Steam is a digital distribution platform primarily. I know some games require Steam even in disc form, but at least they're not tying 100% of your retail purchases to an online mechanism.

an annoyed writer said:
Wow. It's like they don't want to sell this damn thing.
I think it's more like they believe we're a bunch of spineless whiners who will complain, but buy it anyway. They have years of data to verify that, so I'd call it a safe gamble.

They've basically made Always On Lite for games and nothing else, which is yet another reason to avoid this thing like the plague.
The worst part about that is that it might not actually be "lite." Remember, they're using the CLOOOOOOUD to boost processing and the like, which may end up with a mandatory connection to play most games. Even single player games. This goes beyond the daily (or hourly, on a non-primary console) check-in.

Able Seacat said:
I wonder if the PS4 will do this also?
Sony vaguely said they were leaving it "up to the publisher," which, until clarified, sounds an AWFUL lot like what Microsoft has just decreed.

alphamalet said:
You want the DRM of a PC without giving me the advantages of gaming on a PC? No thanks Microsoft.
Yeah, basically. This is why I've been buying less on console this last gen, as consoles slowly became like proprietary PCs. Now they've gone and jumped in whole hog. Screw that.