MS Confirms Online Connection, Game Borrowing and Used Game Details

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
So it seems MS has confirmed that the One will need to connect online at least once every 24 hours to play either Online or Offline.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-needs-to-connect-to-the-internet-every-24-hour-511751949

"While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

Edit:

Also confirm game borrinwg policy:
"Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once."

So yes you can borrow a game to a friend, but each game can only be borrowed once, and only if the person has been on your Friends list for 30 days.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Edit 2:

Used games are allowed.. as long as the publisher allows it:
"Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games."

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Pretty innocuous I think but for some without a cellphone or no internet it might get annoying. Pretty much like steam really.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Wow. It's like they don't want to sell this damn thing. The Xbox is supposed to be a goddamn game console primarily, not a bluray player and not a goddamn cable box. They've basically made Always On Lite for games and nothing else, which is yet another reason to avoid this thing like the plague.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
h4xor555 said:
Terrible.
You may want to add a little more to avoid a low content warning.

I wonder if the PS4 will do this also?

This just seems to be a silly move from microsoft.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Well fuck you too Microsoft.

This means I won't be able to whip out my xbone (huehue) in ten years and play all the classics like I regularly do with my old consoles because Microsoft's crappy online service has been taken down so they can focus on the one for xbox two or whatever.

And seeing as they cant be bothered with backwards compatibility any more I guess any games bought for the xbone will be worthless too when they shut off the servers.

I hope this console crashes and burns, and if Sony does the same then I hope the PS4 tanks too. This is a fucking disgrace.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
The statement on used games is incredibly vague and doesn't really answer any questions. What if I want to go through someone who isn't a "participating retailer?" Who will these "participating retailers" be? Will there be any sort of restrictions on a game bought or sold used? How much of a cut will Microsoft demand from used titles? Will Microsoft set the price of used titles? What if I want to give a game to someone who may be an acquaintance, but I haven't bothered to add them to my friends list yet?

Microsoft seems to be making simple things very complicated and a very big pain in the ass. Remember when consoles were more convenient and had less bull-shit then PCs? Good times.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
Genocidicles said:
Well fuck you too Microsoft.
Pretty much this.

No way in hell I will be buying this thing. Fuck this! You want the DRM of a PC without giving me the advantages of gaming on a PC? No thanks Microsoft.

At this point I am hoping that Sony doesn't hop onto this nonsense!

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
I cant believe the game lending policy either.

What is up with that? What if I want to share games with many and many of my friends? And what if they have not been on my friends list for more than 30 days? What then.

God damn, I'm still going to get one. These publishers can do literally anything to us.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Who wanna bet they'll say something completely opposite on E3?
StriderShinryu said:
So yes you can borrow a game to a friend, but each game can only be borrowed once, and only if the person has been on your Friends list for 30 days.
I think that's not so bad.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Yup, now it's confirmed. I simply won't be buying this.

I can't even play fucking single player without re-establishing a connection? The fuck is this? They seriously think that's still going after the disaster of the reveal? And that used game policy, holy shit. Why do they go out of their way to make giving or selling away a used game so damn difficult? Could they not have put that time and energy and effort into some other aspect of the system?

Why can't you just make a console that plays games and does so well? Was that so difficult to do? No, fuck you, Microsoft. Just, fuck you.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
My favorite part of Microsoft's epitaph so far is this:

"Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you?re not playing."

Ummmmm What!?

"...every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection..."

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
The last time I connected my Xbox 360 to the internet was when I downloaded Banjo-Tooie, which is probably about two or three months ago now.

I have no wireless to speak of, and use a single Ethernet cable that I switch between what I want connected at any given time. If I have my PS3 or Xbox connected to download something, it means I can't access the internet on my PC. And I prefer the convenience of the PC, because it's easier to browse, post, or watch things. So Microsoft lost at least one sale adopting these practices. I'm not going to support a console manufacturer that decides you'll be locked out of playing games if you don't connect your console every 24 hours.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
Anyone want to organize a giant celebration of Microsoft's incompetence? We could all go to Best Buys on the release date and make signs and dance about how we aren't buying it. We can make popsicle stick masks of Microsoft high-ups! We might make the local news!

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Splendid PS4 advertisement, Microsoft. And here I was hoping that maybe, juuust maybe, you would come back with good news for gamers. Too bad. I really do love my 360 and I was initially prepared to support MS in the next gen, but no more. That is unless the PS4 turns right around with similar DRM, God forbid.

Ah well, my current gen backlog will keep me happy for a long, long time anyway. After a few years, maybe the industry will remedy some of its current messes. A guy can dream.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
"Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends." Thanks oh mighty Microsoft, for allowing us the privilege to borrow our bought and owned games to other people! You are so generous! How thoughtful that you're 'enabling' publishers to let them decide on whether a game can be borrowed or not!

Except borrowing games to friends was considered normal only a few years ago. -.-

I really hate how MS is portraying themselves to be so benevolent while in fact, they're doing the exact opposite. As in, restricting our rights to the games we BOUGHT and thus OWN. Okay, technically it will be the companies that will be doing the restricting. But Miscrosoft even putting in a system that allows publishers to decide whether they want PAYING CUSTOMERS to borrow their games to others or not, puts them to blame just as much. Ugh...

h4xor555 said:
I cant believe the game lending policy either.

What is up with that? What if I want to share games with many and many of my friends? And what if they have not been on my friends list for more than 30 days? What then.

God damn, I'm still going to get one. These publishers can do literally anything to us.
And people like you are exactly the reason why companies like EA and MS can get away with their borderline illegal business practices... Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to attack you. I'm just getting tired of companies pulling shit like this, and people still buying their stuff instead of 'voting with their wallets' as the saying goes.

I personally won't be getting an Xbone. And probably no PS4 either, though that depends on the exact details for their console. Not because I don't like gaming on such devices, but because I'm against what MS is trying to pull right now.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
What a giant joke. I love my 360 (see my profile for proof) but there is no way in hell that I'm going to have all of the draw-backs of a PC (or worse; at least Steam let's you do it once every 30 days and I'm not required to have a camera staring at me every time I want to play a game) with none of the benefits like Steam sales and the ability to Mod.

Please please please Sony, help me keep my faith in the consoles and walk through the giant opening that Microsoft just left you. I'd really rather not become a PC gamer but if I'm losing all the convenience I get with a console, why bother with a console anymore?

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
h4xor555 said:
No, to you. Don't lump me in the same group of people like yourself who're willing to take anything because you don't want to be seen as a "whiner."

Shit, man, stand up for yourself.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Oh okay, so Microsoft pretty much confirmed exactly what people didn't want with the whole lending games to a friend bit. That's just brilliant: how exactly do they tell if the person has been lent the game only once? Because he played the game only once? I'm getting the feeling the second the person plugs in another game and tries to go back and play the game he was lent, he is screwed.