MTV and VH1 Want Gamers for Rock Band Reality Show

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
MTV and VH1 Want Gamers for Rock Band Reality Show

A Craigslist listing allegedly by MTV is looking for friends interested in Rock Band, experienced or not, to star in a reality show about the game produced by Survivor director Mark Burnett.

The advertisement [http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/tfr/833164098.html] posted by MTV, owners of Rock Band developer Harmonix, in the Los Angeles section of popular classifieds site Craigslist invites anyone with three friends to apply for "the first show based on the new game Rock Band 2."

According the proposal, MTV is "looking for a group of 4 people to form their own band and show us their stuff live on stage for the chance to win the Ultimate Rock Band Experience," whatever that experience may be.

To have a shot at becoming a television gaming guitar star, you and your three band mates (each person will play a separate instrument) must be 18 years or older, live in the live in the Los Angeles or Southern California area and have a special something that sets your group apart from the competition. MTV suggests a band "theme" such as fire fighters or a sorority.

All applicants must email MTV at [email protected] with names, contact information, member ages and recent pictures. If any Escapist readers apply with the suggested sorority pictures, feel free to send them to [email protected].

Competing network Vh1 hosted an similar short series [http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?id=1572335&vid=183033] online last year titled "The Rock Band Band" and is also currently seeking [http://www.realitywanted.com/call/3116-casting-fans-of-video-game-rockband-to-form-the-ultimate-rock-band] individuals for a show similar to MTV's. Vh1's requires players to have expertise in a particular instrument and must be over the age of 21.

The ad hasn't been verified as an official MTV announcement, but the use of GMail accounts for applications has been used by the network in receiving applications [http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=z1z&q=mtv+%2B%22true+life%22+%2Bgmail&btnG=Search] for its True Life and Love Triangle series, and searching for talent on internet sites such as Facebook [http://www.google.com/search?q=%22true+life%22+%2Bgmail+%2Bfacebook&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a] isn't uncommon either.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5047067/rock-band-2-the-reality-tv-show-wants-you]

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
At first glance, this sounds absolutely ludicrous and just seems like a deperate attempt at 'shotgun' programming by heads over at MTV and cross product branding...

But the more I think about it....I'll have to admit...I may be 'thawing' out a tad.

At least MTV is creating a show this time that actually involves music and is in a direction closer to its roots. I'm tired of 'My Sweet 16' & 'Date my mom' and all the other tweener non-music craptaculars they usually air.

Maybe it would be better placed on G4 TV though?

hell4raizer

Feb 20, 2008
the fig-neuton just got a lot more bitter in my mouth.

i know local bars are having competitions with the same theme, which makes me happy i'm not old enough to drink in one. rock band might be fun to play but who likes watching people play it? how fucking annoying is it to listen to the screw ups and watch dots going down the screen. what i'd like to see is a battle of the bands if anything. most likely the people who actually play in this show and win will have their own record label. they'll have much less talent then KISS too, and that's past pathetic.

PlasticPorter

Aug 27, 2008
This is so stupid, putting crap like that on TV takes away from people who can actually play real guitars that are NOT made out of plastic and failure.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
PlasticPorter post=7.71148.715461 said:
This is so stupid, putting crap like that on TV takes away from people who can actually play real guitars that are NOT made out of plastic and failure.
Better to play a plastic guitar than not play anything at all.

See: The charts.

DarkHyth

Apr 10, 2008
Wow thats... sad. You're just going to end up with 4 more losers on TV.

Then again I don't watch TV much, most certainly not MTV, so I'm perfectly fine with it.

PlasticPorter

Aug 27, 2008
In response to Melaisis: yes, but not on TV
We might as well have a reality TV show about playing Pac-Man.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
I'm sorry, but the "drama" that could surround a Rock Band band would be laughable. How could people get all angsty over a video game? I can't imagine it (outside of XBox Live, of course).

However, I like the fact that they've taken something as fake as a reality show and added a fake rock band into it. It should be a painting.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Wow, an overwhelmingly negative response. I think it sounds a little entertaining. Better than MTV Cribs or some shit.

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
Music on MTV? Has the world gone mad?

Seriously this is a dumb idea, why would I play a game that I can just play with my mates at my own house.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
ThaBenMan post=7.71148.720173 said:
Wow, an overwhelmingly negative response. I think it sounds a little entertaining. Better than MTV Cribs or some shit.
They have ran out of ideas for new shows, this is one of those desperate choices. I just wish a band that can actually write good songs destroy all these losers now!

drzoidbergmd

Aug 14, 2008
It's ridiculous. Get real instrumentalists on there, make a real band and put it on a music channel that plays more than five hours a week of music. (Four of which are pop, rap and hip-hop.)