MTV Rebooting Teen Wolf With TV Series

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
MTV Rebooting Teen Wolf With TV Series

[screencrave=%2Fvod%2Fscvideos.frsucrave%2Fteen_wolf_teaser.mp4]​

MTV's new [del]Twilight[/del] Teen Wolf TV series is all about star-crossed lovers, supernatural battles, and lots of teen angst.

The network that's brought us such gems as Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, and The Hills has revealed that it's got a new TV show in the works that's based on Teen Wolf, the 1985 werewolf comedy starring Michael J. Fox. If you're old enough to remember <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Teen-Wolf-Too/dp/B000068TPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290020937&sr=8-1>Teen Wolf, then you're probably not the target audience MTV is looking to capture with its new series. Based on the trailer, it looks like the show is based more on the how tough it is to be a supernatural teenager, as opposed to the fun one might have with some extra abilities/powers while going through high school.

Aside from the high school setting, it doesn't really look like MTV's version has much in common with either the movie or its spin-off cartoon series. Instead of inheriting his werewolf nature from his family, Scott McCall is bitten by a wolf and finds himself stronger, faster, and with heightened senses, which means he's suddenly attractive to women and a star lacrosse player (as opposed to how Michael J. Fox became his basketball team's MVP). Of course, Scott finds himself on the run from werewolf hunters; the hunters' leader is the father of Scott's love interest.

Honestly, the trailer (and accompanying promotional image) feel like pretty shameless rip-offs of Twilight, meaning that the show looks joyless and full of teenage angst. That's a shame, because the original movie - while not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination - is goofy fun that is certainly capable of killing the time on a slow afternoon. As it stands, this looks like another hate crime against some of my fonder childhood memories.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/5690936/mtvs-teen-wolf-trailer-no-werewolf-basketball-lets-see-whats-on-amc>io9

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Don't we already have this in "The vampire dairies"? And to a lesser extent "True blood" and that other vampire show? (im sure there is one, it's hard to keep up with this pandering dross)

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
Wow, that's... a lot of Twilight in there. Oh well, glad I have never seen the original movie; I'd probably be filled with rage right now if I had.
Jiraiya72 said:
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
Bookmarked.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
If he's not all hairy and doing a triple-backflip on his way to dunk he's not Teen Wolf!

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I happened upon the trailer and when I saw it I was dumbfounded. Calling it Teen Wolf is an insult to the original. It is even an insult to the less than great sequel. This is not Teen Wolf. This is just a show about a werewolf who happens to be a teenager that is trying to use an aptly named(although tonally and stylistically different) movie from the past to help promote this piece of garbage.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
So its Twilight from the Furry perspective rather than the Porphyria sufferers?

[edit, damn you spellcheck]

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
But... I loved watching Teen Wolf when I was little...

Aaaugh. D:< Stop destroying everything I love, Twilight! First the English language, then Muse, then Battles, now this. Not to mention, Glee destroyed Singin' in the Rain last night...

Does anyone have a TARDIS? This is getting mighty frustrating and needs to be solved. Now where did I put that coat hanger?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
did you hear that? that where a million twitards squeening in anticipation and a million vampire/werewolf fans groaning in dissapointment
PS I watched a part of the trailer (the response above is of the text part of the post) and what I got from it is that its twilight but with furries instead of wannabe-goths

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I am filled with naught but unbridled rage at the very thought of this travesty - leave goofy 80s movies alone Hollywood! The mere fact that anyone would ever feel compelled to rip off Twilight for inspiration is something for which the perpetrators should feel horrible horrible shame, but for crying out loud, leave the 80s out of these travesties you inflict upon us.

I was going to say that I'm practically on tenterhooks waiting for this awfultastic Twilight craze to finally dissipate, but I just realized that whatever ultimately comes along to displace it is almost certain to be far, far worse. I weep for the future.

TehIrishSoap

Aug 18, 2010
I'm Sorry, I Need To Smash My Head Against A Wall For 10 Minutes.
*Returns*
WHAT?!?!?!!?!??!?!!?!

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
I saw the trailer for this on Bloody Disgusting yesterday. Well, between this and Red Riding Hood from Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke, I'd say the "Twilight-fication" is only getting worse, spreading its angsty scourge on all that we genre nerds once held dear., Suddenly, Mr. Universe's words ring true in a depressing way:

"Can't stop the signal Mal. You can...never stop...the signal."

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Isn't this like the third micheal j fox movie someone is trying spin into a modern day equivalent... that isn't equivalent in the slightest?

I rather like some remakes when they are done well and keep the essence of the original... this tho, it makes no sense.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
Saved that to my favourites for future use.

OT: http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

What? He's right, we don't need werewolves sparkling in the moonlight.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
This isn't Teen Wolf, this is Bullshit! Hell, I'd even go as far as to say this is madness! Teen Wolf doesn't play lacrosse, hes a basketball superstar everyone whos seen the film knows this.

This isn't Teen Wolf. Its just a dammed Twilight ripoff. MTV needs to get their priorities straight. They used to be good. I mean Beavis and Butthead, Jackass, all of them brilliant. Now they come out with this shit? What the hell!

Apr 28, 2008
Why would you be sad if you had super powers in high school? That would be fucking awesome! "Waaaa! Life is hard!" Shut up, you have super powers, enjoy yourself for fuck's sake.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
For the love of fucking God, when will this Teen Angsty fake ass drama shit end?

They try to lift on the name of the movie I loved so much. Awesome fun and goofy, here they go and try to depress many people as they can. Also, MTV? It's practically the Devil.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I want to break my skull against a wall for this actually existing, I guess it's possible that the show could be good. It's all in execution. Of course, this is coming from MTV, so I shouldn't be immediately expecting quality work here.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Nov 17, 2020
This is the kind of thing that made the movie fun to watch - not whining drama. En español, for your enjoyment!

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Yet another stupid idea from MTV.

However, kudos to them for giving some props to lacrosse (about bloody time it's not gridiron or basketball). But showcasing lacrosse doesn't make the show's concept any less hopeless.

Sixties Spidey

Jan 24, 2008
Well guys, if this is what is actually considered "Cool" well then, I guess that's it! I'm going to kill myself. It was nice knowing you all.

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
AvsJoe said:
Wow, that's... a lot of Twilight in there. Oh well, glad I have never seen the original movie; I'd probably be filled with rage right now if I had.
Jiraiya72 said:
Bookmarked.
That makes two of us.

OT: I've never seen Twilight, this looks like Twilight. I will never see this.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Now, I'm no big fan of Teen Wolf, but it was still an 80's cult movie, which automatically gives it some charm. This show will inevitably be just another soulless carbon copy of Twilight. Thats only to be expected though, it is MTV after all. What worries me though, is that this is being done to a Michael j. Fox film. Its probably just paranoia, but I can't help thinking, what if they do this to Back to the Future? I loved that film.:(

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
Thats awesome.

OT: And i just recently reacquired a copy. well this will go 1 of 2 ways. 1 it will go horribly and be the worst thing since polio. 2 it will be good but be 1 season like clone high. Highly unlikely it would be anything like clone high.

Feb 13, 2008
Oh this is going to be SO good.

Just like the rest of the Teen Wolf franchise was.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and bleach my eyes.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Now imagine how this feels when you're supposed to be the target audience of this junk.

Yeah....

Feb 13, 2008
Erana said:

Now imagine how this feels when you're supposed to be the target audience of this junk.

Yeah....
The same way we feel when Lucas/Bay announce another film?

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
mykalwane said:
Been done and better.
I was actually going to say that at least we still have Big Wolf on Campus to fall back on (I assume you can watch it on the internet somewhere).

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
A rip off of one of my favorite childhood memories has been twilitized.

*puts gun in mouth*

Guhby crul worl

*pulls trigger*

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Those sneaky motherfuckers...

How on Earth could we not have seen this obvious cash-in coming?

btw. Shouldn't they be calling this Tween Wolf, or did someone already beat me to it?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Erana said:

Yeah....
The same way we feel when Lucas/Bay announce another film?
Hey, Megan Fox is more visually pleasing than Robert Patterson.
(from a non-sexual view, that is.)

Lynxan

Dec 6, 2009
Looking at the trailer, I actually got more of a Lost Boys feel to it then Twilight (though that might be more because I haven't seen Twilight, thus have no real reference for that movie).

Overall I don't think that you can complacently beside on this show basically on the trailer because there going to need a lot more then ainsty whining to have enough material to make a 13 or so episode season (assuming there's that much).

Also, reimagining something silly into something better has worked in the past (Buffy the Vampire Slayer and to a lesser extent Battlestar Galatcica) so who says the makers here might not have some good ideas for this overall?

I'm probably going to give this a shot, at least I've only got to DVR it and watch it whenever, mabe I'll find something interesting.... ya, I'm a glass half full guy.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
MTV execs witness the astounding allure of Twilight and have announced an equally vacuous Teen Drama series staring a werewolf instead!

*Runs to make a phone call*

"Excuse me, um, 2012? Could you please come by MTV? And hurry please."

Um, yeah, so MTV is raping culture by spawning a trite, inbred abortion? Well, I believe the average IQ will suddenly plummet, again, and the Doomsday clock will read 11:58.

Whitenail

Sep 28, 2010
They'll take zombies next...

Well, look on the bright-side, at least it isn't a gritty reboot of Mr Fox's Back to the future. You'd better appreciate that, because the fact that it doesn't exist is the sole thing keeping me from a massacre the likes of which has never seen, Pol Pot...pussy, compared to what I would do...

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
More or less my reaction to this. The world does not need more twishite or twishite knockoffs. :(

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Aqualung quote
But... I loved watching Teen Wolf when I was little...

Aaaugh. D:< Stop destroying everything I love, Twilight! First the English language, then Muse, then Battles, now this. Not to mention, Glee destroyed Singin' in the Rain last night.

How exactly are those things being destroy?

DAMG

Feb 16, 2009
I was excited, and then I wasn't. I guess "Teen Wolf" isn't trademarked or copy-written.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Eatbrainz said:
Oh, for fuck's sake.
I said the exact same thing while reading this article. :(

I really wish they'd stop taking fond childhood memories and fucking around with them!

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Right, thats it. Thank you life for all the good and bad times

*holds gun to hear*
*loads gun*
*cocks it*
*blows brain out*

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
I don't know what to say, I mean really what's left to be said with all the crap around already in this style, at least this one tries to stay true to the source material a little >.> as for teen wolf that was NOT a good example =P

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
I liked how the trailer simply refered to the girl as "The Girl." Also, just another cheap Twilight cash-in, which means my friend of questionable sexuality is bound to love it.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Erana said:

Just like the rest of the Teen Wolf franchise was.http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.245522-MTV-Rebooting-Teen-Wolf-With-TV-Series?page=2#comment_form

Yeah....
It feels like that really crappy tasting cold medicine that leaves you tasting menthol for a week on end by the time you're through, but instead of having any form of helpful properties, it just causes HORRIBLE BURNING PAIN.

-sighs- Damn it, and I was hoping supernatural romance was starting to die down. I want sci-fi to be the big thing again, we need more technobabble filled romps through the universe...