MTV Rebooting Teen Wolf With TV Series

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
MTV Rebooting Teen Wolf With TV Series

[screencrave=%2Fvod%2Fscvideos.frsucrave%2Fteen_wolf_teaser.mp4]​

MTV's new [del]Twilight[/del] Teen Wolf TV series is all about star-crossed lovers, supernatural battles, and lots of teen angst.

The network that's brought us such gems as Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, and The Hills has revealed that it's got a new TV show in the works that's based on Teen Wolf, the 1985 werewolf comedy starring Michael J. Fox. If you're old enough to remember <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Teen-Wolf-Too/dp/B000068TPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290020937&sr=8-1>Teen Wolf, then you're probably not the target audience MTV is looking to capture with its new series. Based on the trailer, it looks like the show is based more on the how tough it is to be a supernatural teenager, as opposed to the fun one might have with some extra abilities/powers while going through high school.

Aside from the high school setting, it doesn't really look like MTV's version has much in common with either the movie or its spin-off cartoon series. Instead of inheriting his werewolf nature from his family, Scott McCall is bitten by a wolf and finds himself stronger, faster, and with heightened senses, which means he's suddenly attractive to women and a star lacrosse player (as opposed to how Michael J. Fox became his basketball team's MVP). Of course, Scott finds himself on the run from werewolf hunters; the hunters' leader is the father of Scott's love interest.

Honestly, the trailer (and accompanying promotional image) feel like pretty shameless rip-offs of Twilight, meaning that the show looks joyless and full of teenage angst. That's a shame, because the original movie - while not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination - is goofy fun that is certainly capable of killing the time on a slow afternoon. As it stands, this looks like another hate crime against some of my fonder childhood memories.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/5690936/mtvs-teen-wolf-trailer-no-werewolf-basketball-lets-see-whats-on-amc>io9

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Wow, that's... a lot of Twilight in there. Oh well, glad I have never seen the original movie; I'd probably be filled with rage right now if I had.
Jiraiya72 said:
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
Bookmarked.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I happened upon the trailer and when I saw it I was dumbfounded. Calling it Teen Wolf is an insult to the original. It is even an insult to the less than great sequel. This is not Teen Wolf. This is just a show about a werewolf who happens to be a teenager that is trying to use an aptly named(although tonally and stylistically different) movie from the past to help promote this piece of garbage.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
So its Twilight from the Furry perspective rather than the Porphyria sufferers?

[edit, damn you spellcheck]

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
But... I loved watching Teen Wolf when I was little...

Aaaugh. D:< Stop destroying everything I love, Twilight! First the English language, then Muse, then Battles, now this. Not to mention, Glee destroyed Singin' in the Rain last night...

Does anyone have a TARDIS? This is getting mighty frustrating and needs to be solved. Now where did I put that coat hanger?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
did you hear that? that where a million twitards squeening in anticipation and a million vampire/werewolf fans groaning in dissapointment
PS I watched a part of the trailer (the response above is of the text part of the post) and what I got from it is that its twilight but with furries instead of wannabe-goths

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I am filled with naught but unbridled rage at the very thought of this travesty - leave goofy 80s movies alone Hollywood! The mere fact that anyone would ever feel compelled to rip off Twilight for inspiration is something for which the perpetrators should feel horrible horrible shame, but for crying out loud, leave the 80s out of these travesties you inflict upon us.

I was going to say that I'm practically on tenterhooks waiting for this awfultastic Twilight craze to finally dissipate, but I just realized that whatever ultimately comes along to displace it is almost certain to be far, far worse. I weep for the future.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
I saw the trailer for this on Bloody Disgusting yesterday. Well, between this and Red Riding Hood from Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke, I'd say the "Twilight-fication" is only getting worse, spreading its angsty scourge on all that we genre nerds once held dear., Suddenly, Mr. Universe's words ring true in a depressing way:

"Can't stop the signal Mal. You can...never stop...the signal."

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Isn't this like the third micheal j fox movie someone is trying spin into a modern day equivalent... that isn't equivalent in the slightest?

I rather like some remakes when they are done well and keep the essence of the original... this tho, it makes no sense.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
This isn't Teen Wolf, this is Bullshit! Hell, I'd even go as far as to say this is madness! Teen Wolf doesn't play lacrosse, hes a basketball superstar everyone whos seen the film knows this.

This isn't Teen Wolf. Its just a dammed Twilight ripoff. MTV needs to get their priorities straight. They used to be good. I mean Beavis and Butthead, Jackass, all of them brilliant. Now they come out with this shit? What the hell!

Apr 28, 2008
Why would you be sad if you had super powers in high school? That would be fucking awesome! "Waaaa! Life is hard!" Shut up, you have super powers, enjoy yourself for fuck's sake.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I want to break my skull against a wall for this actually existing, I guess it's possible that the show could be good. It's all in execution. Of course, this is coming from MTV, so I shouldn't be immediately expecting quality work here.