Multiplayer Mass Effect Rumors Bubble Up Once Again

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Multiplayer Mass Effect Rumors Bubble Up Once Again

Inside sources say Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Pc/dp/B0050SZES0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308330281&sr=8-2] will feature a four-player co-op multiplayer mode with "competitive elements" that is intended to help the game make a bigger splash with mainstream audiences.

It's just a rumor at this point but it's a "strong" one, according to Eurogamer, which said that Mass Effect 3 will ship with a standalone multiplayer component being created by BioWare's Montreal studio. CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/307597/news/mass-effect-3-multiplayer-is-real-based-on-original-online-missions/] backed up the report with its own "reliable development source," who said the multiplayer component will feature "original missions made for online" that will stand totally apart from the single-player campaign.

"Mainstream penetration is a major goal for Mass Effect 3 and those high up feel online co-op is the answer they're looking for," the source said. "EA's keen to push the multiplayer side of the game to help spread word of mouth - so it's not just going to rehash stuff from the campaign. It's going all out."

The source added that there will only be a small number of multiplayer missions, but they're designed to be played over and over again.

BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka would neither confirm nor deny the existence of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer at E3 last week, saying only, "We haven't talked at all about multiplayer in the Mass Effect franchise, but we're exploring multiplayer in all of our games and all of our franchises."

Mass Effect 3 is scheduled to launch on March 6, 2012, for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
NOT EVERY GODDAMN GAME NEEDS MULTIPLAYER!

Now that I got that out of the way, their logic baffles me. Trying to bring in a new audience with the third game in a trilogy is just stupid.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
You know when anything along the lines of "branch out to a mainstream audience" is used, shit just fucked up.

Juuel

Jun 2, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Trying to bring in a new audience with the third game in a trilogy is just stupid.
I'm guessing they're thinking new players will go like "Mass Effect 3 is nice, i'll buy 1&2 too". I'd really rather not see a multiplayer in ME3, certainly not if it takes time from singleplayer development. If not, they still could those resources to something else.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Save it for another game and focus on making the single player as good as it can be. I wouldn't mind them making an ME Online kind of thing. The universe is fairly well suited for it.

SilverStrike

Jul 12, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
NOT EVERY GOD DAMN GAME NEEDS MULTIPLAYER!

Now that I got that out of the way, their logic baffles me. Trying to bring in a new audience with the third game in a trilogy is just stupid.
What he said.. is the audience garnered from the first two games not satisfying enough for EA? ME is already really popular! Anyone who considers playing it is going to start from the beginning most likely after hearing how good ME is. They're not going to SUDDENLY be interested by the third one! Well, for an RPG, anyway..
Gah. I was so looking forward to it this year. Now it's pushed back.. I'm really hoping this is a good game. I really don't wanna be disappointed. I loved the first two, this better end it well.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Don't care if they include it or not.

I'm so invested in this series, I wanna see it to its end despite my disappointment with ME2.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, so long as it doesn't detract from the single player, I'm not fussed.

Heh, I have to wonder if they realise what goes through the heads of their old-school fans whenever they use phrases like "mainstream penetration."

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
As much as it would be nice to have a multiplayer third-person shooter that didn't look like everybody had rolled through the mud before playing, this is not the game to try that with.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
" that is intended to help the game make a bigger splash with mainstream audiences.

So when hasn't mass effect been mainstream.

oh well it just means less rpg and more tps. I'm probably not getting this. I own enough tps.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
JediMB said:
Nimbus said:
Wouldn't 3 player make more sense?
Clearly every co-op game must stay as close to Left 4 Dead as possible.
I agree, mainly because Left 4 Dead invented co-op.

That aside, 3 would make more sense seeing as you have two people jogging around with you anyway. I always wonder why game studios don't go with the obvious avenues of multiplayer instead smashing some tripe into the game instead.

Although I have to concede competitive multiplayer is the man's multiplayer.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
Mixed feelings about this. If this detracts attention away from polishing the single player to as good a level as possible, then I will be enraged to say the least. However, if they get a division to work on the multiplayer without sacrificing much from the main dev team, then go nuts. It could actually turn out to be good (SHOCK!), as the class aspect could translate very well. All I'm saying is, calm down everybody, let's just wait till it comes out, trust in Bioware, and see how it turns out. Then, if it does turn out a mistake, I will be at the head of the angry mob.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Every time there's news on ME3 I get more and more nervous. At this rate, the game is going to be so convoluted that it'll have no focus whatsoever and completely fail on every front.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
If it is some epic mega party missions that have a storyline or something maybe, but play them over and over for what? Sounds like it is a pve group dungeon farm or something like an mmo would have what to farm?

How about co-op for the story mode? Why not sub your ai squadmates for real players and play on "group nightmare" difficulty or something? Why tack on a small bunch of maps for multiplayer, when you could build a "co-op" online component, and difficulty to match the use of real people in context of the main game.

This makes no sense to me at this point, who knows maybe when we know more this will be zomg awesome, but right at this moment it sounds all flavors of fail.