Multiplayer Overview: Call of Duty: Black Ops

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Multiplayer Overview: Call of Duty: Black Ops

The multiplayer portion of Black Ops is right on the money.

Read Full Article

Egitor

Jan 28, 2010
Does anybody have any interesting words on the difference between this and MW2 specifically for split-screen local multiplayer?

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Yes, the multiplayer is great and the wager matches can be really intense.

But what I really love is the customization. You can purchase different skins for your guns, have your clan tag inscribed on your gun, custom emblem with multi layers and rotation, custom scope with custom crosshair, and plenty more. I really love it.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Nice Review Mr. Funk, maybe one day I can hope to see you through the scope of my supressed AUG's ACOG scope ;)

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
All I can say is the home page looks hilarious right now.
'Black Ops lacks the "wow" of the series'
And right next to it
'Black Ops is right on the money'

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Vanguard_Ex said:
And right next to it
Yes, well, that's always the risk when you split a review up into two parts ;)

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
John Funk said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
And right next to it
True enough, but nowadays I guess it's necessary :) Especially with multiplayer being such a huge factor in gameplay.

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
So single player is meh---->ugh while MP is pretty sweet

Since I am a more SP>MP I will probably hold off on buying this......but I do have to admit that MP does look pretty interesting, just have to build up the courage to get my bum handed to me a few times.

I always trust the escapist reviews, they always give a blunt and entertaining enjoyable or not discussion of the game (something that is rare among sites nowadays).

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
dagens24 said:
Also John Funk is a cool guy.
agreed. Im looking forward to jumping into this MP. The wager matches look like fun. I can guess his comment,

John Funk said:
the most original gameplay modes... (not exact words, but close)
will probably piss off a few... okay, all the Counter-strike fans, but who cares about those guys anyway?

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
There is a crossbow in the game? Seriously?

Elite black ops operatives use medieval weaponry?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm still not convinced to buy Black Ops, mostly because it's another dime-a-dozen shooter that exists solely on the multiplayer and leaves the campaign to wither and die instead of giving us a worthwhile campaign mode AND a great mutilplayer. Look, I know not every game is going to have a spectacular single-player mode and a fair, balanced multiplayer mode, but I think they could've put more effort into the single-player. If you're going to make a multiplayer-heavy game, it might not be a bad idea to go the Team Fortress 2 route and completely forgo a single-player mode, instead opting to have an offline "vs. bots" mode for personal training and experimentation and a "for beginners" training mode, with DLC giving people new ways to commit murder over X-Box Live. I mean, does anyone even play these games for single-player anymore? Probably not, considering the poor quality of said single-player mode.

John Funk said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
And right next to it
And among two different reviewers who might have radically different tastes in games, I'd imagine.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Fusionxl said:

I don't believe they exploded back then. They also took minutes to wind up.

Yeah, real black ops use those. Quieter than a gun.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Fusionxl said:

Crossbows are common. Your local Wal-Mart probably has a few next to their guns in the hunting section.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Whoever said that Rush Pitts's review was presicely sewed up for Escapist's community..Behold, this thread! :O

/jk :p

Umm..Im a bit worried about this ingame currency system.
Virtual currency, meet Kotick. Kotick, meet virtual currency.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
So, to make multiplayer better, they mashed up Counter-Strike and MW2? Right, pass. I had a love/hate relationship with CS:S for about a month. I loved the mechanics, the game types, and the concept; I hated that the game had been around for a long time and everybody playing it was awesome. I couldn't get better, because I kept dying. As for MW2...yeah, I played it for several months, and around the time every 12-year-old on Xbox Live started exploiting every glitch in the game, I got real tired of it.

I'm sure that the multiplayer in Black Ops is great, for people who have hours upon hours to play and get better and earn credits. I want a game that I can hop into at any time and have a blast playing. That's called Team Fortress 2.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
TheRealGoochman said:
So single player is meh---->ugh while MP is pretty sweet

Since I am a more SP>MP I will probably hold off on buying this......but I do have to admit that MP does look pretty interesting, just have to build up the courage to get my bum handed to me a few times.

I always trust the escapist reviews, they always give a blunt and entertaining enjoyable or not discussion of the game (something that is rare among sites nowadays).
You can always train yourself against the bots first.