Multiplayer Sharks vs. Scuba-Divers Game Looks Absolutely Terrifying

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Multiplayer Sharks vs. Scuba-Divers Game Looks Absolutely Terrifying

It's okay to start humming the Jaws theme now.

Some readers may have heard about indie asymmetrical multiplayer title first teaser trailer [http://www.depthgame.com/index.php] back in August. If you haven't, there's no shame in that; I hadn't heard of it until now either.

Depth is a game with a simple premise: One team plays as scuba divers attempting to steal priceless treasure from sunken ships in shark-infested waters off the coast of Mexico. The other team plays as sharks, who want to eat them. The scuba-divers are armed with underwater knives and spear guns; the sharks are armed with lots and lots of teeth.

The trailer you see here to the right shows some in-game footage. While the sharks' vision is poor, they can sense motion and smell blood, which means that the humans need to be smart and stealthy, and use all the high-tech tools at their disposal.

Frankly, I can see how this game would be absolutely terrifying to play as a scuba diver. You need to stay in the open gathering treasure piece by piece? What sort of cruel and heartless developer would make you do that?!

(Via RPS [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/03/california-scuba-alles-depth-gdc-trailer/])

Galaktia

Jul 4, 2010
I have to say this looks truely clever and fun, I normally am not one for multiplayers, and I could easily see shark players turning into "campers" but when you add in the sharks poor eyesite and the divers ranged weapons, camping becomes a big risk, if you camp near treasure waiting for enemy players you're likely to get speargunned.

Clever game, worth a look.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
That looks awesome... With enough maps and hiding places it could be really really good.

XBLA release by any chance?

[small] No i thought not... [/small]

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Looks like something you atleast need to try, will have to download the demo or buy the game if we won't get an demo.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Breaking News! Shark-killing game promotes animal cruelty. Only on Fox News.
[sub]Looks fun as hell, I'll give it a try if I can.[/sub]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oh my... I never thought another inde game would be interesting to me after Minecraft. Clearly I was mistaken.

Could this be the first true stealth based multiplayer game?

Nouw said:
Breaking News! Shark-killing game promotes animal cruelty. Only on Fox News.
You forgot insulting shark attack victims too.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I already saw this game a week ago in ModDB.

Other than that, yes, this game looks absolutely fantastic and quite interesting in gameplay terms.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh jesus god fuck
I'm not good with sharks. But this looks... fun? Maybe?

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Reminds me of Left 4 Dead multiplayer. I think I'll give this a try, if there's a free demo I'd definitely get it.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Oh my God, this is the game I have been waiting to play since childhood. Any word on a release date?

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Well, why not? This actually looks like an awesome concept.

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
Ok. So, claustrophobia, fear of sharks, and I get uneasy in dark places. Even in video games.

Yet, I am totally hooked on the concept. Looks very interesting.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It didn't seem to show too much from the Shark perspective or how that side of things plays. From the looks of things it seemed like it would be a bit lopsided in the favor of the divers due to the limited visibility of the shark players, the abundance of places for the divers to hide, and of course the ranged weapons.

Now maybe if the sharks had laser beams on their heads (pew pew!) it might be a little more balanced. From the looks of that it seems like it would be extremely one sided.